Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New cam and oil filter - no oil circulating

Got a problem,

Changed cam, changed oil, changed filter changed the head gasket.
    I cranked the engine with the king lead off to prime the turbo. No oil came out.
    I took the turbo feed pipe off and cranked again no oil came out from pipe straight from engine. Cranked for ages. No oil.

Removed oil filter as forgot to fill with oil, no oil came out when I removed the filter?
    I added more oil so to add more pressure so it's now above maximum mark.

Sump/pump not been touched. What can it be? I put the king lead on for a second to see if would start and it would (had distributor drive gear out during cam install).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New cam and oil filter - no oil circulating

Rob, If no oil in filter then suspect the oil pump. No oil to turbo could be oil pump or jammed NRV within the feed. Did you lube up your new cam on install? Just concerned if your cranking for a long time before run in.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, what viscocity oil are you using? I hope it not the Kongfoomupchop stuff from the local chippy?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt didn't you hear Kongfoomupchop chippy shutdown when you left Brandon mate

I know what you mean about cranking the engine before bed the cam in. I cringed a bit but better than running with no oil!

Could be the pump I guess but it aint been touched.
    10 40 mineral oil from gsf im using just to run the cam in.

Can't be anything to do with the cam/dizzy/oil pump gearing can it, I know they are all connected and I have had the dizzy drive gear out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by V Man View Post
    Matt didn't you hear Kongfoomupchop chippy shutdown when you left Brandon mate

I know what you mean about cranking the engine before bed the cam in. I cringed a bit but better than running with no oil!

Could be the pump I guess but it aint been touched.
    10 40 mineral oil from gsf im using just to run the cam in.

Can't be anything to do with the cam/dizzy/oil pump gearing can it, I know they are all connected and I have had the dizzy drive gear out?
    G, you using a decent oil filt too? The Renault one and the fiam one have a valve in. Not one of these Kongfoomupchop ones!! If i remember correctly the pump shaft is splined into a gear driven from the cam gear set. It could be the interlink gear has been dislodged from the pump shaft if thats possible.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

had this problem before myself had the car running for few mins with no oil getting to the top end.
    easy way to sort this pack the oil pump with molyslip grease and then refit its aids the oil being sucked up run the car till it gets warm, then drop the oil out of it. the moly slip won't kill the engine.... or you can use vaseline and do the same thing

Post Thanks / Like

try taking the filter off, pouring oil down the centre hole of the oil filter, a little messy but better than taking the pump/sump off.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    try taking the filter off, pouring oil down the centre hole of the oil filter, a little messy but better than taking the pump/sump off.

Tried that one!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Going to have fiddle with drive gear next before whip sump off.

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you got an old/spare dizzy drive gear lying around?
    If so, grind the teeth off that bit which usually engages in the camshaft part, weld a tube on the end of the gear so it protudes out of where the dizzy would normally sit, power up the tube with a drill and see if oil is present after a couple of tries.
    Basically operating the oil pump without starting the engine.
    Last edited by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports; 21-09-2011 at 21:01.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports View Post
    Have you got an old/spare dizzy drive gear lying around?
    If so, grind the teeth off that usually engage in the camshaft part, weld a tube on the end of the gear do it protudes out of where the dizzy would sit, power up the tube with a drill and see if oil is present after a couple of tries.
    Basically operating the oil pump without starting the engine.
    Its funny you say that but I got off the phone from Ashy and he reminded me I actually have a device exactly as you say in a toolbox somewhere !!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah Ha! well then, go and try it and report back toute-suite!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to be tomorrow now. Ear ache set in......

Post Thanks / Like

Ear ache?
    Is that code for Girlfriend/wife?

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Aye as discussed G I doub't it'll be the oil or the pump as the pumps not been touched so shouldn't of air locked. My guess is some issue with the oil pump drive on the cam / dizzy.

If you can find the tool whack it in the drill and give it a spin!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports View Post
    Ear ache?
    Is that code for Girlfriend/wife?
    Yes. That's the one. A different type of code red!

Post Thanks / Like

Just thinking, you say theres no oil coming out of the turbo feed, is there oil getting to the rocker cover? theres a one way valve in the feed pipe that can block. check thats not blocked/jammed, ive removed the internals from mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Yo... its simple.............................. when a gtt has had all the oil drained or the pump has been removed this problem will always happen because the pump has no fluid to pump or draw...... i found a very simple way and has worked on loads of cars and engine ive had or helped with.................... what i do is fill the sump up with the usual 4L or so of oil.. .. then i put another 3 L in ... what this does is to totally submerge the entire pump ..... the rotating parts will fill with oil and after a quick 5 second crank with the king lead off, normal pressure is shown on the gauge.... then of course i remove the excess oil to the normal dipstick level.......works a treat... ive a suction pump , used to draws the oil through the dipstick hole....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eugein Offord View Post
    Yo... its simple.............................. when a gtt has had all the oil drained or the pump has been removed this problem will always happen because the pump has no fluid to pump or draw...... i found a very simple way and has worked on loads of cars and engine ive had or helped with.................... what i do is fill the sump up with the usual 4L or so of oil.. .. then i put another 3 L in ... what this does is to totally submerge the entire pump ..... the rotating parts will fill with oil and after a quick 5 second crank with the king lead off, normal pressure is shown on the gauge.... then of course i remove the excess oil to the normal dipstick level.......works a treat... ive a suction pump , used to draws the oil through the dipstick hole....

seems a longer version to what ive always done to new rebuilds..

i simply pack the oil pump with grease which in turn produces the suction needed to pickup and get the oil moving. its never failed me.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eugein Offord View Post
    I know where your coming from which is why I overfilled the oil a bit. I would rather not pull the sump off unless I have to I think that's what your getting at
    Will update tonight how I get on!

Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn't be cranking over the engine with a new cam in to make oil pressure mate, you could damage the lobes before bedding it in...take an old dizzy drive, cut the teeth off and weld a pin to the top so you can turn the oil pump with a drill. Assuming the oil pump is good it should prime in seconds.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    had this problem before myself had the car running for few mins with no oil getting to the top end.
    easy way to sort this pack the oil pump with molyslip grease and then refit its aids the oil being sucked up run the car till it gets warm, then drop the oil out of it. the moly slip won't kill the engine.... or you can use vaseline and do the same thing

This might seem a stupid question or completely obvious but is this molyslip grease

Just dont want to cock up and noticed it doesnt say slip.
    I had the same problem as above and havent touched this problem since it happened nearly 2 years ago.

The correct answer and abuse for what seems a silly question are welcome

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nad-5GTT View Post
    This might seem a stupid question or completely obvious but is this molyslip grease

Just dont want to cock up and noticed it doesnt say slip.
    I had the same problem as above and havent touched this problem since it happened nearly 2 years ago.

The correct answer and abuse for what seems a silly question are welcome

I can't see the image or attachment, but just use the vaseline undo the oil pumps 4 bolts and pack it with the vaseline. It won't harm the engine at all. Then crank / prime don't start engine just crank and prime, then drop oil and change oil filter and all will be fine matey

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Silly question maybe. But I've undone the four socket bolts and packed Vaseline in the drive gear up to the top and also down so it's filled the pick up strainer, it's actually coming out the strainer like a cheese grater is this ok. I don't want to click up

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nad-5GTT View Post
    Silly question maybe. But I've undone the four socket bolts and packed Vaseline in the drive gear up to the top and also down so it's filled the pick up strainer, it's actually coming out the strainer like a cheese grater is this ok. I don't want to click up
    Anybody ?? Cough James 5 . Got new half moon seals today so plan to fit pump and sump 2moz.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont worry about it, its only grease. Use cheap oil and change it after the first fire up.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Dont worry about it, its only grease. Use cheap oil and change it after the first fire up.
    Lovely, I just wanted clarification thats all. Cheers Brigsy

Post Thanks / Like

How did this go? Just I have the same problem now after rebuild

Elliott

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gardner51 View Post

Elliott
    It's not I was waiting for half moon seals, then when they arrived I thought I'd better paint the sump as it was all scratched up only painted it last night. Hopefully I'll have a positive update on this problem wednesday. But now my daily
    is going into limp mode and giving me horrible warning lights so that's going to take my priority for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gardner51 View Post

Elliott
    Use an old dizzy drive and make a tool to prime the pump with a drill. Best way to prime a new engine.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a spare dizzy drive? Unless someone is kind enough to post me their home made tool and ill get it sent straight back?

Will sort them a drink for their troubles?

Elliott