Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Anti perc fan

Hi guys

Ive recently brought my first 5 GTT so I am a complete novice. I've noticed there is no anti perc fan fitted. What do people recommend? Should I fit one? It does sometimes struggle to start.
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anti perc fan

Mines not got one never had a problem starting it. They stop the fuel evaporating in the carb to aid warm starting

Post Thanks / Like

The majority of 5's don't have them any more unless you're an oe, nut. Feel free to have one but most run fine without. Mine set on fire and almost burnt my car to the ground, after that, never had one.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

If your car is standard/original, then pop one in for the finishing touch. If not I would not bother, they do very little in reality.

If the car is struggling to start, get yourself a carb rebuild kit from the club shop or Mike Phase I 16v and overhall the carb. A good clean should help matters.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks people. I'll try a carb Rebuild kit then, see if that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

if you do fit a an anti percolation fan, please put a fuse in line..................the original loom has no fuse and fires were common ..........

Non-member old skool turbo power's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daz5774 View Post
    Hi guys

Ive recently brought my first 5 GTT so I am a complete novice. I've noticed there is no anti perc fan fitted. What do people recommend? Should I fit one? It does sometimes struggle to start.
    Cheers

personally id fit one,i have had major problems in tryin to start the car many times in when the perc fan was not working(the motor packed in)
    i drove from bham to derby one time and i remember goin to the shop and id left the car for about 5-10 mins or so and went to start the car and it took at least 2/3 goes in getting the car started even with the foot pumping on the pedal.
    it was just a joke tbh i got pretty fed up of it fan fixed and all good starts 1st time.
    there is a blue wire from the motor of the fan,fit a fuse holder in there so if anythink dose short circuit then the fuse should blow.what can start a fire though is where the wires sit above the turbo from the carb base to a thermostat then the wires then bridge to the perc fan.i didnt have a thermostat for the turbo and the wires droped on the turbo and started to melted .
    apart from that 4 yrs ive had the car and never had any problems with it....never broken down either (touch wood).............part from clutch cables ive been lucky tho and managed to get home still

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    The majority of 5's don't have them any more unless you're an oe, nut. Feel free to have one but most run fine without. Mine set on fire and almost burnt my car to the ground, after that, never had one.
    Same here, more trouble than its worth. Mine doesnt have one and doesnt need one