Post Thanks / Like

fuel pump problems

hi there
    i have a few problems i think i recently picked up my r5 gtt. its stripped out so i can hear every silly noise and everything lol but i have noticed that the fuel pump seems to be running all of the time is this correct? i was under the impression that it should only be on when i turn the key so to speak.
    And also every 30 seconds or so something clicks under the passanger side of the dashboard cold this be the fuel pump relay knakerd and not shutting the pump off.
    any help would be much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: fuel pump problems

Quote Originally Posted by Bunje View Post
    hi there
    i have a few problems i think i recently picked up my r5 gtt. its stripped out so i can hear every silly noise and everything lol but i have noticed that the fuel pump seems to be running all of the time is this correct? i was under the impression that it should only be on when i turn the key so to speak.
    And also every 30 seconds or so something clicks under the passanger side of the dashboard cold this be the fuel pump relay knakerd and not shutting the pump off.
    any help would be much appreciated
    The relay clicking in and out is probably your rear windscreen wiper relay, press the rear windscreen button to stop it - this is assuming that you have removed the rear wiper and motor and have no tell tails.

Yes, if the setup is standard, the pump should only run once the ecu has seen the flywheel moving. Please don't ask how it does that as it's black voodoo mumbojumbo to me.

Post Thanks / Like

any ideas what im looking for to see if it is standard. i dont have a rear wiper or motor. thats a good call ill give it a look tommorow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunje View Post
    any ideas what im looking for to see if it is standard. i dont have a rear wiper or motor. thats a good call ill give it a look tommorow
    I see you've not been a member too long, I'll assume you know little about the history of the car. It is possible that the original relay which tells the pump when to run went kaput and since they are / where getting difficult to find / source has been replaced with a standard relay which is activated by the ignition. I think the only problems you will have with this is if you leave the ignition on when the car is not running will drain your battery and also should you have an accident, your car stall (maybe upside down and flames licking at your feet) and the pump will continue to spray petrol onto your now BBQing feet.

You will need to see if the original fuel pump relay is in and working the pump 1st. I think it's the large grey one with Cartier? written on the side of it.

Post Thanks / Like

you are correct i havent had car long and brought it just knowing that it had never been in an accident and never been stolen but thats about it lol. i will have a look at the relays and see what i can find thanks for your help it is much appreciated