Post Thanks / Like

Finally paid up!

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi guys,

I've finally coughed up the £25 to join.

I have been lurking on here for a while but not really posted much yet. I've owned an R5 GTT, which I believe is a Ph2, for the last 12 months. I think i've only driven it twice, and every time I've driven it something has blown

When it did run, I found it absolutely lovely to drive, but incredibly unreliable.

I rescued this car from it's chav history, this is what it looked like when I purchased it:

I managed to kill it just a few hours after purchasing it

Since then, i've been slowly returning the car to a more standard approach. I've got rid of the hideous front grille and replaced with a standard red grille. I thought it was a turbo grille that i'd sourced but looking at other photos I don't think it is.

I've since replaced the headgasket..

Although I still had major running issues so suspected cracked head or liner.

She's been sat in the garage gathering dust for the last 12 months but now I'm looking to get her moving again. (See my wanted post for an engine)

Took her out for a drive after a nice clean and the inevitable happened...

I don't really know much about 5 turbos, My background is with Clio 16v's, of which i've owned many. Currently have a Clio 16v with a Williams F7R engine fitted.

My R5 doesn't have a sunroof, is this a Phase 2 thing or am I just lucky?

The interior isn't the best, someone has attacked it with carbon effect vinyl previously which i'm slowly removing. The red gearstick gaitor is gone.

Currently have a nissan silvia turbo fitted which seems to work well.

Look forward to getting her up and running again and hopefully you'll be able to answer some of my questions

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally paid up!

Well done and welcome to the club

Is the inevitable the head gasket?

You've definitely done the car justice with the grill and I like the wheels look nice and fresh!

Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly, it split yet another coolant hose, dumped all the coolant and overheated. Again.

The engine has overheated that many times, I suspect it's shaped more like a banana now.

Just want to bin this engine and corresponding pipework and start again with a good, fresh engine.

Unfortunately this was a good running engine previously. I've put a few too many nails in the coffin now though as I drove it around without coolant for a few days. I got beyond the point of caring enough to keep filling it up every 5 minutes!

Post Thanks / Like

give it a few months on here and you will soon realise r5s arnt unreliable at all matey, ull also find that there so damn easy to fix.. question ? what boost is this motor running..

The fueling is surely the issue on these motors when there running above standard boost with a standard carb..

plenty of info and guys on here to sort that though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    give it a few months on here and you will soon realise r5s arnt unreliable at all matey, ull also find that there so damn easy to fix.. question ? what boost is this motor running..

The fueling is surely the issue on these motors when there running above standard boost with a standard carb..

plenty of info and guys on here to sort that though.

So true, I took mine to germany and back doing 80-100 all the way there and back and it never skipped a beat!

Post Thanks / Like

We all been/are or in my case constantly...fiddeling with these old girls...Sadly as the above have said....they are reliable but have/do suffer if disrespected...

have a look at my thread...(Still to be updated )...see how deep it can get
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=22166

Dont sweat theres some awesome help on here and the lumps and motor are a piece of cake once you get stuck in,,jus parts can be an issue..

Lovely motor btw and much respect for saving her...

Post Thanks / Like

Boost? You mean this thing is supposed to boost?

I joke of course.. but in all seriousness i've only touched boost in it a few times when it did run but i've never really driven it in anger.

I kept my eye on the boost guage and on full throttle it looked like it was just running standard boost (well after I replaced the turbo anyway)

The old turbo was running much higher boost.

I've been searching eBay and other places for engines but there doesn't seem to be much about at the moment.

On the plus side, i've had it up on a ramp and there doesn't appear to be a lot of rot underneath.

Can anyone tell me if mine is a Phase 1 or a Phase 2? I think it's missing the spoiler on the back but the boot is pretty bent/rotten anyway, so i will probably replace that.

Post Thanks / Like

F plate is phase 2 mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Second hand is a gamble...but someone on here should have/know of a good un...

CGB Motorsport sell re-cons,,,if your wallets willing,,,

or better still evaluate the damage and rebuild it yourself accordingly....

Post Thanks / Like

Wallet is pretty tight unfortunately.

Ideally i'd like to purchase an engine from someone on here who has proof the engine ran fine prior to removal.

I've considered rebuilding my lump, could get new pistons/liners and a new head, will evaluate that option when I get my engine out for inspection.

It might be better just to get a replacement engine complete with loom and pipework though and go from there.

On the subject of looms, I know in valvers there are allsorts of versions of engine looms which can lead to immobiliser and fuel pump issues.

Are all the wiring looms between the phases the same? Or are there differences I should be aware of?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sy5GTT View Post
    F plate is phase 2 mate.
    Thanks.

Did the phase 2's come without a sunroof? I've read other 'for sale' adverts and the owners have mentioned the car having a sunroof.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk View Post

Thanks.

Did the phase 2's come without a sunroof? I've read other 'for sale' adverts and the owners have mentioned the car having a sunroof.
    Some had them others didn't. Mine has one but my old one didn't.

Post Thanks / Like

About time Kieran mine has just had it's MOT need a new actuator mines broke. Car looks nice get it sorted mate

Post Thanks / Like

I've got spare standard actuators if that's what you need (well, i think they're standard)

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

wellcome along bud...nice phase 2, shes looking better allready.., nice hat too..ahh i remember my youth...well kinda.., dont give up on the ole girl, your just getting to know each other, when you do the sex will be mind blowin...., keep the 5 alive, get some bodies over there, give it a once over , get said parts , get it set up right as mentioned and ...enjoy..

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers mate but I need a -31 actuator to run 19 psi :-D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5TURBORON View Post
    Cheers mate but I need a -31 actuator to run 19 psi :-D
    why's that

Post Thanks / Like

just need something that can handle the boost and go higher than 19psi one day. the standard T2 actuator thats fitted to my T25 hybrid turbo died at 19psi killed the spring. Was told to get a -31 one which mechanical boost is 14psi

Post Thanks / Like

i must have been lucky in the past....i was sold a std type that went to 2 bar..........i put a main jet in the pressure feed.... and wound it in.....

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eugein Offord View Post
    i must have been lucky in the past....i was sold a std type that went to 2 bar..........i put a main jet in the pressure feed.... and wound it in.....
    yep, lucky, -31 is a million times better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    yep, lucky, -31 is a million times better.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club Kieran

There are a couple of threads you might find to be of some interest so I've copied the links below.

Have a look at the map below and be sure to add yourself so other members can see where you are situated!

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=22189

You can find out who your area rep is by looking in the thread below.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=10872

This might help you out as well but make sure you aren't eating as there are some right mug shots of the various Area Reps.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=23174

The club competition at the moment is the Renault Turbo Owners Car Game. Take a look in the link below to see what its about!

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=24163

Enjoy that red 5 of yours and don't hesitate to ask if you need anything.

Welcome to the club

Lomo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    nice hat too..ahh i remember my youth...well kinda..
    That's not me in the picture, that was a friend of mine who came along to enjoy some boost. I was the one taking the picture and swearing at the car from a distance!

I'm determined to get her running, unfortunately my knowledge of setting up carbs/fuelling etc is nil (I only know the Clio 16v injection engine)

I'll get a new engine sorted out and prepared at some point when I find a garage to work in. Let me know if there's anyone in the area who has a good knowledge of these cars and would be able to help me set it up to run safely.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, car looks much better, standard with a few tweeks

Post Thanks / Like

Looks bloody pukka, especialy with them willys wheels and campus grille.. Top work, keep at it!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah so it's a campus grille, i've been wondering what it was. I bought it thinking it was a GTT grille!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting a new one soon as a couple of clips have broke on mine but u can have my old one if you want

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah can do

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome dude! New here myself too!

Grab yourself a turbo grill, orange front repeaters and get the fueling set up before driving it again

The owner I got my 5 off was running at 1.5 bar boost on a standard fueled carb .... hence why my engine is in pieces with a cracked liner sat next to it

Most Phase 2's I believe were sunroof less? a good thing really, mine leaks even though the previous owner decided to use tiger seal and make a mess of it .... haha

If you fancy selling the wheels, PM me Seriously I am dying for a set of Williams wheels!

Also.... your battery, its on the wrong side?

Post Thanks / Like

Battery on the wrong side? Really?

It looks like it's supposed to be there, although i can't say i've paid a massive amount of attention to it.

I'll definitely make sure I get the fuelling set up correct. I've got a recently rebuilt carb which I bought off eBay a while back and the guy said it was from a standard engine running standard boost, so hopefully that should get me going in the right direction.

Just getting some money saved for an engine when the time is right.

It will probably be early next year when she's back on the road, although I could do with it a bit sooner as the gearbox in my Clio is starting to sound a bit worse for wear

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds to me that you need your local one man A team....ie nick k..hes near you and im sure as he is allways helpfull would give it a once over....for a drink, be it tea or a beer..., good luck sorting it though , when set up right etc , these cars are reliable!!.

Post Thanks / Like

Where abouts is he?

I'll no doubt be in touch once i've sourced an engine

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

My battery is on the "wrong side" to. Its never caused a problem in the last 7 years so if you're not bothered I wouldnt worry!

Post Thanks / Like

quite like your 5, which is strange cus i usually aint a fan of red cars, but i think i prefer it with black wheels rather than white, but it aint my car so it dont really matter lmao, hope mine isnt gonna be as much hassle as what yours has been, but i hope you get it all sorted, and at least you have held onto it rather than selling after the first time it went wrong.. muchos respectos!