Post Thanks / Like

raider is dead

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

my head gasket has gone. i dont know what to do now. im not giving the car up cos its my dream car and i know its going to be expensive but i want it repaired because i dont want to lose my power by buying a new engine and starting again as i have £180 ktech piston kit in it and got my turbo coming in at 20k revs and so on and so on. its not on too much only 190bhp but thats how i want to keep it or atleast go up and not down.

any recomendations for head gaskets, head bolts or anything else at all just click reply.lol.

thanks. james

Post Thanks / Like

Re: raider is dead

Are you going to do it your self its easy to do. http://www.cgbmotorsport.net/

Post Thanks / Like

noooo i want it done to perfection by a descent company so i get warrenty just incase i blow it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by haizyr5gtt View Post

noooo i want it done to perfection by a descent company so i get warrenty just incase i blow it again.
    the reality is that I doubt anyone would honour a warranty on a head gasket. Your first job is to work out why it failed, contrary to popular opinion head gaskets don't just go. The second reality is it may not be your headgasket, it's the obvious conclusion to jump to, but there is a reasonable percentage chance that it's something else.

So, you can either give up a few hours of your time and swap the gasket for £50, or pay someone £350 to do it, and refuse to warranty it later. But remember this one thing, if you don't fix what caused your gasket to fail you'll be fixing it again in a month.

Post Thanks / Like

Ummm... 190 bhp??? A standard GTT with standard T2 turbo? With all due respect... but who told you that mate? What boost are you running? Maybe you're TRYING to achieve 190 bhp by upping the boost waaaaay to much, which could explain a blown head gasket. Your K-Tec piston & liner set is standard stuff... and without any other mod (like you have) you can't run more than 15 psi max safely. I don't think your car produces more than 140 bhp, assuming you have 15 psi set.

By the way... changing the head gasket yourself isn't too hard. Get yourself a Haynes and get on with it! Like Andrew said... no shop will give you a warranty on a head gasket. They will always claim that blowing it is your own fault due to punishing the car too much... (e.g. too much boost)
    Last edited by jantheeven; 15-11-2008 at 11:20.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    the reality is that I doubt anyone would honour a warranty on a head gasket. Your first job is to work out why it failed, contrary to popular opinion head gaskets don't just go. The second reality is it may not be your headgasket, it's the obvious conclusion to jump to, but there is a reasonable percentage chance that it's something else.

So, you can either give up a few hours of your time and swap the gasket for £50, or pay someone £350 to do it, and refuse to warranty it later. But remember this one thing, if you don't fix what caused your gasket to fail you'll be fixing it again in a month.
    As above.

How much boost are you running?

PS, your Raider is fit!

Post Thanks / Like

Sure looks nice indeed!

Post Thanks / Like

i dont see the point in owning a old hot hatch if you arnt going to learn a bit yourself.. damn do it yourself man, its easy stuff

Post Thanks / Like

james, do it yourself, thats if youve got the time.

the so called tuners charge way too much. maybe ask a memeber local to you with a few rebuilds under his belt to rebuild the top end

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jantheeven View Post
    Ummm... 190 bhp??? A standard GTT with standard T2 turbo? With all due respect... but who told you that mate? What boost are you running? Maybe you're TRYING to achieve 190 bhp by upping the boost waaaaay to much, which could explain a blown head gasket. Your K-Tec piston & liner set is standard stuff... and without any other mod (like you have) you can't run more than 15 psi max safely. I don't think your car produces more than 140 bhp, assuming you have 15 psi set.

By the way... changing the head gasket yourself isn't too hard. Get yourself a Haynes and get on with it! Like Andrew said... no shop will give you a warranty on a head gasket. They will always claim that blowing it is your own fault due to punishing the car too much... (e.g. too much boost)

i havent done nothing to it so i dont no wot its running boost wise i dnt even kno if it is a standard turbo or wot.. its how i bought it. i duno wot the specs are of the engine al i kno is the bloke i ad it of ad it tested on the dyno n thas wot cum bak. i got sum1 doin my head gasket for me now nd hes gna do it on my drive so i can learn nd wont have to call him out next time.lol. and i had this bloke come out thismornin to luk over it. (he is very wel respected in my area as he doesnt charge hourly rates, only charges for results) very good. thats how i kno its my head gasket. got backpressure n al the usual signs of a blown head.

Post Thanks / Like

i havent done nothing to it so i dont no wot its running boost wise i dnt even kno if it is a standard turbo or wot.. its how i bought it. i duno wot the specs are of the engine al i kno is the bloke i ad it of ad it tested on the dyno n thas wot cum bak. i got sum1 doin my head gasket for me now nd hes gna do it on my drive so i can learn nd wont have to call him out next time.lol. and i had this bloke come out thismornin to luk over it. (he is very wel respected in my area as he doesnt charge hourly rates, only charges for results) very good. thats how i kno its my head gasket. got backpressure n al the usual signs of a blown head.
    Do you have a boost gauge that tells you in PSI or BAR what pressure your running?
    If not, how far did the standard boost gauge go round? To the letter O of turbo, or to to the end, or off that chart?

As Andy said, head gaskets don't go by themselves, think of engine as an electrical plug, the head gasket is the fuse... Find out why it went (too much boost, too little cooling etc etc)

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff Watch and learn!

But don't believe the bloke that told you it produces 190bhp... I'd say put it on the dyno yourself
    With standard boost, and standard everything else 120bhp matey

Post Thanks / Like

Also, just had a look at your car.... front doesn't look like its been lowered at all, you want to drop it down

Its quite an easy job.... am sure a garage wouldn't charge you too much if you weren't confident doing it yourself... Set of springs and the lowering should set you back roughly £150 at normal garage rates... do it.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah... strange... because it appears that the rear IS lowered

Post Thanks / Like

wel its got a full lowering kit in it so i doubt that it ent bin done. and i dont kno what the guage was registerin bcos i dint boot it i uny had it 6 hours b4 it died and it was a fresh rebuild so i was at 50mph (give or take a few mph) it lasted 94 miles.

i think i will stick it on the dyno because i want to no what its on but wont be doin tha until its al ran in.

and im quite sure it went due to the car overheating without me noticing then i checked the rad by running the coolant thru it from the header tank to the drainage valves and ther was quite a bit of air in it so im guesin it was an air lock in my rad that caused it.

oh and gordon i would love to play with it and kit it right up but i wana try and take it to the classic car shows we have around here every now and again and to get better points and whatever it needs to be as standard as possible and how it is now is how i bought it so im not doing nothing else to it except for under the hood so it looks standard for the shows.

Post Thanks / Like

wel its got a full lowering kit in it so i doubt that it ent bin done. and i dont kno what the guage was registerin bcos i dint boot it i uny had it 6 hours b4 it died and it was a fresh rebuild so i was at 50mph (give or take a few mph) it lasted 94 miles.

i think i will stick it on the dyno because i want to no what its on but wont be doin tha until its al ran in.

and im quite sure it went due to the car overheating without me noticing then i checked the rad by running the coolant thru it from the header tank to the drainage valves and ther was quite a bit of air in it so im guesin it was an air lock in my rad that caused it.

oh and gordon i would love to play with it and kit it right up but i wana try and take it to the classic car shows we have around here every now and again and to get better points and whatever it needs to be as standard as possible and how it is now is how i bought it so im not doing nothing else to it except for under the hood so it looks standard for the shows.

I don't meant to offend you mate, but disregard everything that the guy told you about the car.... the guys on here know the cars inside out and will be able to tell you more about your car than you can (until you have it a while.).

If your not confident about working on the car then you need to get it to a decent garage pronto (not a normal backstreet one, they'll just screw it up). Contact your area rep for advise on who to use...

Its a real shame you've only just got the car before it conked out.... and since you didn't look at the boost gauge, guess we wont be able to help you with that 190bhp claim

Post Thanks / Like

I agree... it's a real shame your car died on you after such a short drive. Hard to believe it's a rebuilt engine. Too bad some people take advantage of ignorant buyers selling them a load of bull**** regarding the specs and performance.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree... it's a real shame your car died on you after such a short drive. Hard to believe it's a rebuilt engine. Too bad some people take advantage of ignorant buyers selling them a load of bull**** regarding the specs and performance.
    If it did have rebuild last time.... why was it rebuilt?

Post Thanks / Like

Good point... and if it has been rebuilt... then why does the head gasket blow after a normal, short drive? Lots of weird stuff here...

Post Thanks / Like

Also, how do you know its the head gasket thats gone????

Post Thanks / Like

Good point... and if it has been rebuilt... then why does the head gasket blow after a normal, short drive? Lots of weird stuff here...

yes i kno aii. iv had a cple of pple look at it but ther is a top noch mechanic that works for al the local courier companys etc. he has a very very good rep rwnd here so tbh i trust him.

it was blown up in 2005 it sat stil for 2-3 years and he had it rebuilt in feb this year but dint use it much. basicaly i think he fukd it wen he put it bak 2g4 jst so i got me far enuf away from his house. he seemd pretty smug wen i sed id av it off him so i think he new it was going to go bcos he wont return my cals text or anser phne messages so i recon hes just a prik that took advantage of a young boy with great passion for this car.

Post Thanks / Like

yes i kno aii. iv had a cple of pple look at it but ther is a top noch mechanic that works for al the local courier companys etc. he has a very very good rep rwnd here so tbh i trust him.

it was blown up in 2005 it sat stil for 2-3 years and he had it rebuilt in feb this year but dint use it much. basicaly i think he fukd it wen he put it bak 2g4 jst so i got me far enuf away from his house. he seemd pretty smug wen i sed id av it off him so i think he new it was going to go bcos he wont return my cals text or anser phne messages so i recon hes just a prik that took advantage of a young boy with great passion for this car.
    unfortunately once you buy a car privately, thats it.... no comebacks.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And in English now?

Post Thanks / Like

see if you can get your keyboard fixed at the same time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    And in English now?

Post Thanks / Like

I can't even read that! Bloody insulting to the people that are trying to help off here.

Post Thanks / Like

Any idea how hard it is to read for a Dutch guy? I had to read certain bits over and over again for it to start making a little sense...
    The way he writes reminds me of the way Ali G talks

Post Thanks / Like

Yo, I waz tryin 2 save time... B8trz...

Post Thanks / Like

brap brip blop flippy flop yeh mudafukaz i iz da baddezt............at spelling correctly

Post Thanks / Like

Any idea how hard it is to read for a Dutch guy? I had to read certain bits over and over again for it to start making a little sense...
    The way he writes reminds me of the way Ali G talks
    We have members all over the world who make the effort to write intelligible English (and on the whole they succeed embarrassingly well), and then we have the yout who can't be arsed to make the effort, it's a sorry state of affairs. It's not like you can't use a spell checker.. mine runs all the time under firefox as my spelling isn't the best.

Post Thanks / Like

And then there's Colin...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    And then there's Colin...
    ahh, poor Colin, his spelling gives me hope

but he'd never type 8 for ate....

Post Thanks / Like

No, but there's several other outcomes he'd possibly type

Good old Col.

Post Thanks / Like

i feel for him! I remember what i was like when i first entered the renault 5 gtt world! My alternator went and it was like the end of the world, lol got ripped off by quite a few backstreet mechs

it won't be long before he gets knocked into shape or sells it.

as for the txt/sms speak? lol some people realy don't understand how annoying it is to read on a forum like this it makes you a chav in the internet world.

just like caps lock is SHOUTING!

All i will say is stick with it and if your not prepared to get stuck in and get your hands dirty and learn then you better have a very large deep wallet!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gtphil View Post
    i Feel For Him! I Remember What I Was Like When I First Entered The Renault 5 Gtt World! My Alternator Went And It Was Like The End Of The World, Lol Got Ripped Off By Quite A Few Backstreet Mechs

It Won't Be Long Before He Gets Knocked Into Shape Or Sells It.

As For The Txt/sms Speak? Lol Some People Realy Don't Understand How Annoying It Is To Read On A Forum Like This It Makes You A Chav In The Internet World.

Just Like Caps Lock Is Shouting!

All I Will Say Is Stick With It And If Your Not Prepared To Get Stuck In And Get Your Hands Dirty And Learn Then You Better Have A Very Large Deep Wallet!!
    LOL YEH LIKE HE SAID LOL

LoL

LMAO

ROFL.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we might be loosing a member here...

Post Thanks / Like

well i am sorry for all of those who cant read my typing. its just my generation realy. will try to remember to spell everything correctly for you all from now on. and as for the ali g comments it does save time but still i supose i got to put the time and effort into it.

car should be on the road within the next two weeks hopefully then i will be able to come and meet all of you at meets and other events and you can all help me on typing grammer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriC View Post
    LOL YEH LIKE HE SAID LOL

LoL

LMAO

ROFL.

What does the all of the above mean? Someone should write out all of those abrivations and what they mean in the real world because I have not a clue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    What does the all of the above mean? Someone should write out all of those abrivations and what they mean in the real world because I have not a clue
    wikipedia to the rescue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lmao

Post Thanks / Like

would take ages to go through everything. most of it is just removing letters such as the U in jUst for jst and so on. lyk is like its just things tha save time but also exchanging letters for things that would stil sound (like swnd) the same (sme) and so on but i wil not type like that any more (mre) so you (u) can all understand

Post Thanks / Like

would take ages to go through everything. most of it is just removing letters such as the U in jUst for jst and so on. lyk is like its just things tha save time but also exchanging letters for things that would stil sound (like swnd) the same (sme) and so on but i wil not type like that any more (mre) so you (u) can all understand
    Good man Just makes it easier for us to understand and easier to help you out

Post Thanks / Like

well i am sorry for all of those who cant read my typing. its just my generation realy.
    So they're teaching that in schools now instead of "real" English?

Post Thanks / Like

kwik 2 da point, 2 da point no fakin, im cookn mc's lyk a pand ov bakon...

Source the headgasket from GSF ( www.gsfcarparts.com ), headbolts (M10 x 100, 12.9 tensile, allen key cap-head) from your local hardware shop, buy yourself a Haynes manual, and have a crack at it yourself, assuming it is the gasket that's failed.

If you get stuck, a reply is usually only a wee while away on here, but if you post it in idiot talk, expect an idiot answer

Post Thanks / Like

you got to watch this and understand why i found the above reply soo funny

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K1cLk1Veb2s

Post Thanks / Like

would ah av rung ?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe you would have, no.