Post Thanks / Like

What temperature? And top rad hose question...

Hi All,

How high should the temperature gauge go under normal conditions? Ph II GTT. Ours seems to go up into (nearly) the middle of the section before the dashed markings on the gauge, particularly dring round town or after sustained acceleration.

Secondary to this, the radiator top hose (standard) seems to collapse when the engine is revved. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What temperature? And top rad hose question...

cooling system sounds like it needs bleeding.

Post Thanks / Like

Mmm... I wondered. Normally I would hold the expansion bottle up as high as I could but it seems to have the hoses intertwined with the boost hoses. Is this normal? Or is it normal to disconnect the boost hoses from the intercooler, then bleed.

Thanks,

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

depends how some 1s put the hoses in ive had to diconnect the boost hoses it the past to bleed the system hold it up high then bleed the big hose 1st then the little 1

Post Thanks / Like

rad sounds gunjed up to me

Post Thanks / Like

You should be around the half way mark on the gauge, they do rise and hit the fan at low speeds/town driving though.

Sounds like you might need a new rad or need to give it a decent flush out with a hose pipe. The top hose shouldn't collapse once the stat has opened, so check that's working properly too.

Also the plastic shroud around the rad makes a fair difference to cooling, as it forces air through the core. Refit that if its missing.

Post Thanks / Like

There should be a shroud around the rad? Mine has not got this...

When it comes to bleeding the system I leave the expansion tank alone and just blow into it until coolant comes through the nipples. Is this method ok to use?

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to bleeding the system I leave the expansion tank alone and just blow into it until coolant comes through the nipples. Is this method ok to use?[/quote]

This is fine as long as you keep the pressure up until the bleed nipple is closed and you don't mind having a horrible taste of coolant in your mouth, on a serious note antifreeze is very very bad for you so try not to get any in your mouth and certainly don't swallow any

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adscan View Post
    There should be a shroud around the rad? Mine has not got this...

When it comes to bleeding the system I leave the expansion tank alone and just blow into it until coolant comes through the nipples. Is this method ok to use?
    i use this, its an old expansion tank cap, pull the top off and stuff a tyre valve through then use a bicycle pump.its the easiest way to bleed the cooling system i know
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Have found that the cooling fan was wired up back to front! So it was pushing air out of the front of the rad. That's not going to help... Even when stationery in traffic, the fan won't be working efficiently when it's pushing!

Temp still rises up a bit but so far not beyond the 3rd mark on the gauge (counting the bottom of the gauge as the first mark).

I think the rad may be a little gunged, but it feels uniformly hot. When warming up the car it stays cold(ish) at the bottom for the longest period, then over a matter of a few seconds, the whole radiator heats up.

Only been out for a fairly short drive after fixing the polarity of the fan. Will monitor it. Have also got a low-temp thermostat and fan switch from Mike ready to fit.

Thanks,

Andrew