Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pop goes the 5

First post!

Can any help me please please please. I have started on my project 5 raider after 7 years( I'm a slow worker) and I went to start it up and it went pop, the wipers came on and something just popped, then it wouldn't start, any help would be greatful? Could it be electrical?
    Cheers danny

( I will put some pictures of the raider up soon, it's in fantastic condition)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pop goes the 5

sounds electrical to me!
    did everything electrical work ok before you went to start it? ie lights, fan, radio? if they did then the problem is under the bonnet.....

while you have been restoring it have you had the engine out? my loom around the starter motor was one big lump of melted plastic! and i think they are a fairly common problem with these cars,

if you have not had the engine out that would be the first place i would look, start at the starter and trace the wires back, if it has been hacked and cut, like a lot have check the insulation is ok and not earthing on body,

good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Cherry post eh, welcome to RTOC!

By it wouldn't start is that it wouldn't turn over or just wouldn't fire up?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

hi there, welcome to the forum, try and put up a bit more information if you can and im sure someone on here will have come across something similar, from your general description if you think the problem is electrical a good first check is the fuse box to see if its blown any as this may point you in the direction of the circuit that is at fault,
    failing that have a good sniff around the car as when electrical things go pop they generaly smell, try a few other circuits like lights, heater fan, radio to see if its a global loss of power or just related to starting the car.
    is there an alarm/imobiliser fitted to your car as when these go pop the chances of getting the car to start are slim. if there is an aftermarket one fitted then check the installation of it as most alarm fitters employed by the likes of halfords are only a couple generations removed from apes, expect to find lots of scotch lock connectors and electrical tape,
    let us know what you find

Post Thanks / Like

Hey welcome to rtoc, chances are the main positive to the starter is your first place to check, these are common. Would your ignition lights come on? any electrical items working at all? interior light, outside lights? window wipers, windows,horn?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Had a go at starting it today, but still no joy, I started from the back to see if it a fuel problem, so took the fuel pump off and check it, that's working fine. Then looked to see if the fuel reached the front end, no fuel going to the carb. Any thoughts? All my lights work fine, the engine still turns over . Also how do I put photo up on here?
    Cheers for everyones help