Post Thanks / Like

cam options, cheap

ok so the boosted engine isnt going to last too much longer till its in bits, looking to shave the compression down a slight bit but while its apart i was thinking of slaping some cams in, well if there cheap enough. are there any suitable cams or cam combinations for my engine? 225 ones? remember im running a supercharger and most places dont list a sc cam option. im guessing there quite different to turbo items due to not having a restriction at the end of the manifold.

any of the much wiser than me crowd have any ideas?

cheers adey

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: cam options, cheap

catcams turbo cams, would have thought that as long as there is very little overlap/duration , but high' ish lift on the inlet side.

failing that, ring piper and ask there advise, very helpful when i rang them a few weeks ago maybe a new grind needed , wont be cheap though looking around the £500 the pair

if you go with the catcams, they wont sell direct , so you will need to purchase through ktec but you prob already knew that

Post Thanks / Like

Unless your looking at big boost , stick with the standard 172's. They seem pretty good for a forced engine. The 225 ones are quite mild in comparison and i'm looking at changing mine soon. I guess it all depends on how good the head/inlet is at filling the cylinders. No point in going for big lift if its not matched to flow.

Post Thanks / Like

cool cool, was thinking more along the lines of turbo cams but then they wouldnt really suit due to not having the restriction exhaust side. so are 172 cams and upgrade for the 225 engine?

Post Thanks / Like

the lack of the restriction means that rather than reversion you get blow through, neat fuel out of the engine into the cat. With a turbo engine you can balance the pressure into and out of the engine allowing you to run some pretty hot cams, not the case with a supercharger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    the lack of the restriction means that rather than reversion you get blow through, neat fuel out of the engine into the cat. With a turbo engine you can balance the pressure into and out of the engine allowing you to run some pretty hot cams, not the case with a supercharger.

so ill be sticking with what ive got for a while then, cheers