Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Large drivers thread

Any large drivers out there? I'm 6'6'' and obviously a little cramped behind the wheel. My knee keeps knocking the wipers stalk on when I'm chucking it round bends.
    My plan is to either modify the seat frame so the seat sits both lower and further back or replace the seats and frames completely for something more suitable. Any other oversized owners done similar? Some tips would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Large drivers thread

when u buy an aftermarket seat the mounting for it is usually fully adjustable but you'd want to check first!

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, as mentioned the other day at marks about big steve raider adjusting his seat position

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=185

The link is steve himself so worth sending him a msg to find out how he went about doing it

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Great, I'll give him a PM. Hope you sorted your earth out in the end. Car wiring can be a pain in the arse at times.
    Might need to change my seats soonish, sat back in the drives today and something went 'twang'. I think I'm over the recommended weight limit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigdur View Post
    Great, I'll give him a PM. Hope you sorted your earth out in the end. Car wiring can be a pain in the arse at times.
    well turns out Mr numpty here (me!) did'nt tighten the earth wire which runs from the alt to the front of the block with a 13mm bolt.

So i whacked my old alt back on and hey presto just over 14 v

Post Thanks / Like

im not a large driver but i did find that oe seats where way to high for my liking so i had some universal seats in my 5 for a while and they made a big difference. the seat was sat near enough on the floor of the car, now i have a pair of toyota celica seats in and still sits nice and low, i can only just see the top of the bonnet

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah well all's well that ends well!
    Modfather- what did you do about seat frames? Really I'm looking to go as low as possible and further back a few inches. Sat in the standard seat my head rubs on the roof lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah well all's well that ends well!
    Modfather- what did you do about seat frames? Really I'm looking to go as low as possible and further back a few inches. Sat in the standard seat my head rubs on the roof lol.

thats why i wanted to change mine got fed up with banging head on the roof .with the universal seats i had universal frames,which was just a couple bits of flat metal, but on the celica seats i made a couple of frames up out of 1inch square bar, they sit so low can only just get a finger or 2 under the seats, if you want i will get some pics up tomorrow of both the universal frames and the 1s i made up

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

if your that big just rip out the fronts an use the rear bench.....

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

The names Bigdur, not Hightower.

Post Thanks / Like

....h'tower...those films were funny man...

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Im 6'4 and have mounted some aftermarket seats and mounts through the floor so I can position it where I like, luckily dont need rear seats else they wont have any foot room. As for my Raider going to have them standard and see what its like to drive, have really only owned 5s since started driving so really just got used to lack of space and let alone space to put the feet if only they made them wider spaced pedals really. Struggly with my new BMW as have changed trainers and they are now wider then my last set but fit my so much nicer.

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Im 6'4 and have mounted some aftermarket seats and mounts through the floor so I can position it where I like, luckily dont need rear seats else they wont have any foot room. As for my Raider going to have them standard and see what its like to drive, have really only owned 5s since started driving so really just got used to lack of space and let alone space to put the feet if only they made them wider spaced pedals really. Struggly with my new BMW as have changed trainers and they are now wider then my last set but fit my so much nicer.
    I know what you mean, ive got size 16 feet and pedals are usually pretty close together. I suppose they have to be a 1 size fits all though.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean, ive got size 16 feet and pedals are usually pretty close together. I suppose they have to be a 1 size fits all though.
    Join the club with that size feet

Post Thanks / Like

heres a couple of pics as promised, sorry about the pour quality of the pics ,
    the 1st pic is of the frames i made up for the celica seats, the 2nd pic is of the universal frames which i got with the universal seats
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Join the club with that size feet
    Ah so it's you I always bid against with trainers on ebay!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah so it's you I always bid against with trainers on ebay!
    They sell them on there? Cant say I have ever really found them on there or even want to take the risk as they vary so much on there, I purchased my last pair of trainers in Newcastle at Big and Tall, had a massive selection and fit so much nicer being 4E width.

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

They sell them on there? Cant say I have ever really found them on there or even want to take the risk as they vary so much on there, I purchased my last pair of trainers in Newcastle at Big and Tall, had a massive selection and fit so much nicer being 4E width.
    Yep, ever heard of 'Walktall' its an online shop. They sell off stuff cheap on ebay, you'll find plenty, Lacoste, Nike, DCs etc

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, ever heard of 'Walktall' its an online shop. They sell off stuff cheap on ebay, you'll find plenty, Lacoste, Nike, DCs etc
    Yeah I get their catalogue sent through I think, you got a link to the eBay account?

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest person I've seen in a gtt, was Boris - The crazy South African. 6ft7, and over 20 stonne. I remember once, on the motorway going to the Pod, his steering column had come loose, and I was driving along side him. All I could see was this confused looking monster of a man, squeezed into a 5, pulling the steering column about . A bit like Vitali Petrov yesterday!

A mate of mine is about 6ft5, and he owned a gtt about 15 years ago. He always said that he was surprised at the amount of room in them, and he never felt squeezed in like he does in a lot of cars.

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    The biggest person I've seen in a gtt, was Boris - The crazy South African. 6ft7, and over 20 stonne. I remember once, on the motorway going to the Pod, his steering column had come loose, and I was driving along side him. All I could see was this confused looking monster of a man, squeezed into a 5, pulling the steering column about . A bit like Vitali Petrov yesterday!

A mate of mine is about 6ft5, and he owned a gtt about 15 years ago. He always said that he was surprised at the amount of room in them, and he never felt squeezed in like he does in a lot of cars.
    A small job needed on mine, if you pull or push hard you can move the steering wheel in or out. Presume somethings worked loose tbh.

Post Thanks / Like

don't forget Tom aka 6foot6 and Phil B . there seams to be lot of tall people who drive 5s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rat1 View Post
    don't forget Tom aka 6foot6 and Phil B . there seams to be lot of tall people who drive 5s
    dont expect there fit in this tho....

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2009/02...ar_450x500.jpg

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bigdur & welcome to the club!!

Thanks for your PM mate & also thanks to Rich for putting you onto me. BLOODY good memory there Rich!?

Yes I did indeed make a modification to the seat position in my Raider to give me some more legroom as I feel a little cramped after a longish drive with the seat in it's standard position.

If you have a good look at the rear of the existing seat subframe you will see that there is an existing small hole in the subframe tubing that will allow you to gain access to the top of the bolt with an allen key without the seat being in the right forwards position. That was the key to allowing me to move the seat back.

The aim is to move the seat bolting position further back in the car which will then allow you to slide the seat further back away from the steering wheel.

Basically I drilled out that hole to be larger so that the head of the bolt could be passed through it. Then once I could get the head of the bolt through the subframe you will be able to drill through the sliding rail which actually bolts to the car floor and bolt the chair to the floor further forwards than the existing position (about 4 Inches)

You will then need to get hold of a decent piece of strip steel (I used some 6mm thick x 25mm wide stock bar I got off a toolmaking mate of mine) and then drilled another hole in the front of the seat rail so that I could put two bolts through the slider and into the 6mm bar and then drilled another hole in the front of the bar to bolt the front of the assembly to the seat.

Simple really... but trying to remember what I did about 5 years ago is a bit hit & miss!!

Hope this is ok? I can try & take some pictures sometime if you like but can't promise as to when that will be as I'm all over at the moment... writing this from Antwerp tonight!?

Steve

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Steve, sounds like a good mod, if you do get chance some photos would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

it more annoying when you hit the hazard lights swich and wonder why you indicators wont cancel.