Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

DVLA tax classes

I've just bought another clio sport 172 as a non runner now its classed in the higher road tax band, what sort of evidence would the DVLA want if I was to put it in the lower tax band as I want a 1.4 turbo in it? Is it just a case of changing the engine number like if you were up-sizing or is it different now?

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DVLA tax classes

To go to a lower tax band you have to get the vehicle inspected by the dvla. Think they have also changed rules where you have to prove where the engine came from from could be interesting with the age of these engines

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm planning on putting a 2005 k4j 1.4 16v in it and turboing it but just can't see the dvla test center being to happy with a nutty turbo project showing up lol

Post Thanks / Like

Take the hit mate!! It will be a lot less hassle in the long run!!

Post Thanks / Like

how much is the higher tax ??

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If its pre 2001 you should get the lower rate before emissions were taken into consideration. Ive got a '53 plate Clio Cup 172 and it cost me 235 pounds to tax for 12 months last year, - not looking forward to when it runs out as im sure it will be more ridiculous again On the flip side R5GTT tax 125 pounds 12 months JOB DONE!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Raider View Post
    If its pre 2001 you should get the lower rate before emissions were taken into consideration. Ive got a '53 plate Clio Cup 172 and it cost me 235 pounds to tax for 12 months last year, - not looking forward to when it runs out as im sure it will be more ridiculous again On the flip side R5GTT tax 125 pounds 12 months JOB DONE!!!

did myself a favour and bought a 1.4 16v for £600 quid to do the turbo conversion on thinking its ok will be gt turbo tax WRONG 150 quid a bloody year! o well cheaper than a sport