Post Thanks / Like

vauxhall astra 2 litre turbo, z20let

Right I am at that stage now where I am having to keep my astra so going to start playing with it.

Has anyone had one before and tuned it slighty to give it better increase and help it breath better? I`ve been told to look at the boost circuit and airbox as there are to many bends and silly rubber hoses which won`t help on boost.

Any help is much appreciated

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: vauxhall astra 2 litre turbo, z20let

Rich, I did a few things with mine over the years of having it, what you want is to stick with an OE airbox but not the z20let matey you want the 1.9cdti astra box then you can just get a couple of 90 degree bends and fit it straight to the turbo inlet you will still need to keep the MAF just move it's location, so you then remove the huge flat bit over the engine you have now made it shorter run for air to turbo. Also get a decent panel filter for the 1.9 CDTi box aswell

I believe there is bigger air inlet pipe to the airbox which I think was off a 2.2 vectra that can be used aswell. Better intercooler as you will find the one you have is about 75% covered by the bumper and front cross member so a nice ebay special intercooler and some alloy bends etc..

Bigger tophat is also recomended that the OE jobbie

Decent exhaust and remap at the same time, if you have funds VXR turbo and injectors before the remap should all see you to some good power

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Rich, I did a few things with mine over the years of having it, what you want is to stick with an OE airbox but not the z20let matey you want the 1.9cdti astra box then you can just get a couple of 90 degree bends and fit it straight to the turbo inlet you will still need to keep the MAF just move it's location, so you then remove the huge flat bit over the engine you have now made it shorter run for air to turbo. Also get a decent panel filter for the 1.9 CDTi box aswell

I believe there is bigger air inlet pipe to the airbox which I think was off a 2.2 vectra that can be used aswell. Better intercooler as you will find the one you have is about 75% covered by the bumper and front cross member so a nice ebay special intercooler and some alloy bends etc..

Bigger tophat is also recomended that the OE jobbie

Decent exhaust and remap at the same time, if you have funds VXR turbo and injectors before the remap should all see you to some good power
    what size intercooler pipework do you think i will need, 2.25 or 2.5"?

Post Thanks / Like

To get any decent power (over 220-230) you need to fit a FMIC or an uprated SMIC, the front mounts off ebay are ok but a biatch to fit the bumper back on without a fair bit of chopping, my mate has one. Also the VXR turbo is a good upgrade with the injectors IIRC. It will need a remap obviously & anybody will rob you of £300+ to do that but you can see 250-260bhp & a massive chunk of torque thrown in low down so it feels faster than it is .
    After those mods you are looking at going forged TBH

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

My mate has one of these in his corsa C, hes got himself a massive intercooler some ally pipe and done a real good job of routeing it, hes also lost the air box and got himself a ram ait filter and frabricated a cold air feed and boxed it off slightly from the engine. Hes also got himself the vxr turbo and had it re mapped with a custom made 2 an half ince exhaust straight through and to say its quick is an understatement.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

It has kind of been covered and only worked on them in the vx220 turbo's (same engine) but dont over look removing the balance shafts, l/b flywheel - upto 290bhp it can not be too costly but beyond then its rods 1st - pistons actually fine for 400bhp but if appart retro fit the under piston oil spray

Bigger 80amm more stable and helps with revised cdti airbox and bigger pipework

Also the top hat is a 44mm restriction from the 61mm I/C or C/C

VXR injectors needed above 260

AET turbo a good comp for bigger power - I run them at 320ish bhp

Dont bother with cams and may need pump beefing up but depends on a few things

Std managment fine but not the greatest tbh you feel it a lot more in the VX220 been lighter - uprated actuator for above 18psi also needed due to crap manifold design and backpressure

All in all a good solid enigne though

DG