Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Calling all motorbike ppls

Hello all

I am thinking of downgrading my zx6r for a 400 reason being Ive gone from a 125 to my full power zx6r and tbh Im crap at riding,I sat on a 160kg duacti the otherday and it felt like itd be allot easier for me to handle as my bike is nearer 180kg and got me thinking.

Ive got it down to two bike a yamaha fzr 400 and a zxr400 both are simular power weight etc.

Any experienced bikers care to advise,I dont no anything about bikes I just want to learn on something a little less full on but at the same time think I would get bored of a 250 very quick so figured 400 would be the way to go.

Ps anyone know of any decent bike forums im on a few but they all seem dead.
    Last edited by doggydowg22; 06-03-2011 at 12:54.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Calling all motorbike ppls

a 250 is very similar to a 400 performance wise(aprilla rs250 vs vfr400)
    my brother had an aprilla rs250,and to be fair he left alot of the bigger bikes down the twisty back roads.he ended up selling it and getting an r1,then sold that and got another rs250 and put a stan stephens 300cc engine in.the only prob i found with the aprilla is it doesnt have a reserve fuel light(so long distance can be **** as my bro found out twice)and haveing to put two stroke oil in all the time.where as the vfr/rvf400 are a lot easier to live with.

i have just put my bike up forsale,as i dont have time to mess around with the bike and car,would be perfect for you and very easy to ride

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2577342.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Loving that vrf very nice,erm if I cant handle a 600 I sure as hell couldn't ride a 10r lol.

I cant be botherd with 2 stroke price of petrol and then oil on top not that cost effective.

Ive been advised to do a bike course by other people on zx10r net or get a scrambler for country roads.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you just need time to adjust to the bigger bike. On the grand scale of things a zx6r isn't a massively powerful/fast bike but it is night and day different to a 125.

Before you make a rash decision, what do you want to get out of biking? just the freedom of being on two wheels or the thrill of going fast?

And what sort of rider are you? Someone who's only enjoying his ride when overtaking everything and doing a tap dance on the gear selector or someone who takes his time enjoying the scenery etc

The reason I ask is you seem to only be looking at sportsbikes which I don't personally feel are the best bikes to start out with. Maybe a nice naked street fighter style bike with wide bars would make you feel more comfortable and give you more control?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont realy o what category id come under,been riding since I was 16 now 26 had my zx6r 3 years only realy used it when cars have been broken (allot more when I own r5s lol)

I never sit in traffic and like the freedom of a bike I have never gone over 120mph but then ive never riden the bike other then to comute to work maybe thats where the problem lies.

A work mate tld me about putting pressure on the oposit foot peg when cornering which has made me feel allot more comfortable but still feel like im riding like mrs Daisy lol.

On the plus side in my 10 years of riding ive not had any accidents

Post Thanks / Like

Get a 1950's triumph, Cut the swing arm off hard tail the frame with a +2 lenghth and - 1 drop.... strip all essentials off it and trim bits down (bobber) and ride it...

done

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get an old school triumph unless you like oil leaks, kick starts and the gears being on the wrong side LoL

Reading through your reply it seems the bike you own isn't really fit for what your using it for. I can't imagine a zx6r is much fun when your wearing enough layers to keep early morning chills out and probably carrying a ruck sack with your bait in.

I'd suggest you go for a medium power naked bike. It'll still hit the 120mph self imposed limit you have but the up right seating position and wide bars will put you in both a more comfortable position and give you a greater sense of control.

I agree with your friend who's suggested some form of training as it will bring your confidence on. I also recommend a trackday, find a beginners day and you'll be astonished at your bikes capabilities and it will show you how much you have in reserve whilst riding on the road, sort of like a safety cushion.

I didn't pass my test untill 2005 but had done motor crossing previously. I bought a brand new 90 bhp Triumph Speedfour in Jan 2006 and used it for everything from commuting, two up weekend blasts to humbling the "all the gear, no idea" brigade in the fast groups on trackdays. I can't recommend a naked bike enough. Heres an old pic of it in action

Just out of curiosity what model Ducati did you sit on that made you feel comfortable?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    Get a 1950's triumph, Cut the swing arm off hard tail the frame with a +2 lenghth and - 1 drop.... strip all essentials off it and trim bits down (bobber) and ride it...

done
    a handlebar tash and some leather trousers with a hole in the bum and your in jrp's club. fooking gay bike

Post Thanks / Like

no offense but i'd go for the man up option. If you ride it like you stole it everywhere you go you sharp get used to the power and you get places faster. win win

but in all seriousness try looking at something like a hornet or a fazer.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's a 400cc you want there is really only one choice - it has to be a Honda VFR 400 NC30. I owned one for a few yeras and it was fantastic

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

seat time..... to learn it live with it, the more time you spend with it the better you will get to know it.

most 400s are getting on now an had a hard life. honda not as bad as but like lil old renaults require a lil looking after.
    i've had a few bikes over the years an the only one i kept was the vfr 400, had it since bout '98 prob well over the 100k mark now, thats gotta say something for the vfr

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread. That 10R is a beast.

I don't ride but I like the idea of it

Ten years without an accident is excellent btw

I'd say either stick to the current bike and get some training or swap for a naked that's more suited to your purposes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doggydowg22 View Post
    Hello all

I am thinking of downgrading my zx6r

what year is your ninja?

Post Thanks / Like

here is my motorbike below. I have only just passed my test and having a 600 some people might see being a big step but I have been round motorcross bikes all my life so do have some means of bikes!

Post Thanks / Like

As my screen name suggests I like Aprilia rs250's so I suggest you go and ride one before you buy a 400. Runs rings around vfrs, rvfs, baby blades. Handling wise its as close to a gp bike as you will get. Super tunable and sound mint on arrows.

Same bike, same paint,pipes etc as my old beast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmva-DvaHvM

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the Aprillia RS bikes. The only thing that puts me off them is they're 2 stroke - bee in a tin can! That, and I'm waaaaay too big for one!

Good video, if you look closely he gets overtaken by a Renault Scenic!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r5 rich View Post
    here is my motorbike below. I have only just passed my test and having a 600 some people might see being a big step but I have been round motorcross bikes all my life so do have some means of bikes!

i passed my test when i was 21 with no experience and picked up my bike about 4 hours after, was a bit warey at first, i thought the power delivery was going to be in one massive lump and the brakes where going to be savage but in actual fact it was easier to ride than the ER5 i learned on. I dropped it once but that was my sackless fault for buying boots with 6" heels.

If you dont mind me asking Doggy what sort of frame (fat/thin/tall/short) do you have? im 6'2" and 18 stone so i looked like one of those circus monkeys lol.

here's a pic, i dont have her any more due to a misunderstanding with the police and certain speed limits

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my VFR 400 (I wish I'd never sold it )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    (I wish I'd never sold it )

+1

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realise there was quite so many bikers on here

Heres my other bike, K5 GSXR 1000 on a daytime MOT no lights, mirrors, indicators etc... I feel like a criminal everytime I ride it on the road.

It hits just under a ton in first and the last time I was on track I was hitting 169mph on the limiter in 4th its an animal.

And a trip into the kitty litter on my old SRAD

Post Thanks / Like

here is gttnutter's attempt at motocross.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/vid...91209&comments

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    here is gttnutter's attempt at motocross.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/vid...91209&comments

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my VFR 400 (I wish I'd never sold it )
    WIN

Post Thanks / Like

i used to have one of these-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._500_Gamma.JPG

and a bunch of strokers before that in various states of tune,rgv was fun with
    stan stephens bits an bobs..
    ........wayyyyyyy bananas in the clutch.....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's a 400cc you want there is really only one choice - it has to be a Honda VFR 400 NC30. I owned one for a few yeras and it was fantastic
    the only 400 to have is rvf 400 nc35 not the vfr 4oo

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

the only 400 to have is the rvf 400 nc35
    not the vfr 400 nc30

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

not the vfr 400 nc30

whys that ?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishead View Post
    not the vfr 400 nc30

whys that ?
    ive had both 400s
    rvf is faster
    handles better
    looks better

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I dont think a 400 would be a step in the right direction, there smaller more focused and more uncomfortale than a zx6r. They've almost all had a terribly hard life from owners who've had them and have either been youngsters who've found them cheaper to insure or the older generation who've ridden them hard in a bid to try and "prove a point" to 600cc sportbike riders. Besides hes already admitted he only uses his bike for commuting when his cars U/S

Obviously this is just my personal opinion based on the 400cc bikes and owners who've crossed my path on both road and track, I appreciate there will be some well looked after minters out there ridden by sensible people but I've never seen them.

I'm still curious to know what Ducati he sat on that made him feel alot more comfortable than his Ninja?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J$£5GTT View Post
    i used to have one of these-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._500_Gamma.JPG

and a bunch of strokers before that in various states of tune,rgv was fun with
    stan stephens bits an bobs..
    ........wayyyyyyy bananas in the clutch.....

They are mental bikes been on one a few years back.....i miss my RGV250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GARY GRWTURBO View Post
    not the vfr 400 nc30
    They're virtually identical bar the USD folks!
    Last edited by Alex; 10-03-2011 at 15:58.

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone want to buy my pearl White r6 it's up for sale!

Post Thanks / Like

i think you should go for either the ducati or at least have a test ride on 1 or a sports touring bike which has more usable power, As ppl have said i think a 400 wouldnt be a step in the wrong direction as there more hasle than there worth i went from aprilia rs125 and many other 125 even an old kawazaki Kr1s 250 then to a cbr400rr and a vfr400rr then onto a 04 plate suzuki sv650s and im now on a k9 gsxr600 i too also struggled with the power and speed of the sports bikes bit u learn it and adapt urself both the sv and gsxr i had never taken a test ride on just loved the look and bought 1

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone want to buy my pearl White r6 it's up for sale!

i'll swap you for my 5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josie172cup View Post
    i'll swap you for my 5
    if your genuine send me a pm with all info on the car and we can go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

if your genuine send me a pm with all info on the car and we can go from there.

haha i was joking but now im interested, i need to sort a few things on it first but i'll definately get back to you.

i'll put up a few newer pics within the next few days.