Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fifth gear need a standard GTT

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    If a Moderator wants to do this then i'm happy with that?
    FFS, you've read my mind

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Just wanted to say fair play to you Steve - hope it all goes well and your Raider comes through triumphant and unscathed.

Will defo be tuning in when it airs ...

Post Thanks / Like

Koni's i got

DS2500's.... now you're talking
    PM me your address and I'll try and have a root around, are your disks nice and flat?

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We should be giving some thanks to www.renault5gtturbo.com as the original email was sent to them 1st
    http://www.renault5gtturbo.com/forum...pic.php?t=3750

Post Thanks / Like

Ammended my 1st post, i thought i had added that i copy & pasted from Renault5gtturbo.com
    Must have put it in my text to Mart...

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quality, can you get a preview of the shoot and upload it to the site!!

The club should get an RTOC t-shirt and Hat made up for jason Plato to wear!! Free advertising! Say if you want to use the raider you must wear the hat / shirt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post

The club should get an RTOC t-shirt and Hat made up for jason Plato to wear!! Free advertising! Say if you want to use the raider you must wear the hat / shirt

Make sure it has a contact number & e-mail address on it for future tv appearences!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow can't wait to see that. Probably be nearer a years time when it come's on - start of the next new series.

Be interested to hear how the shoot goes
    Last edited by Amber5GTTurb; 05-11-2008 at 11:38.

Post Thanks / Like

good sheet! its been a good few months for the gtt, first it was in evo magazine and now this

top darts

Post Thanks / Like

who in the right mind wants to let a muti million pound tv company rag the arse out of your car all day, just to say thanks for that , that will get us about 5 million viewers and a **** load of money heres your petrol money
    if they want a gtt let them buy one, thats what we had to do!

cheeky *******s

Post Thanks / Like

make sure you know what they'll give you if they write it off. A car magazine rolled a friends car in a similar test and gave him nothing for his trouble.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've already started the negotiation on that front.

Make no mistake i'm going to make it VERY CLEAR to them right from the off what the score will be if they damage it!

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    We should be giving some thanks to www.renault5gtturbo.com as the original email was sent to them 1st
    http://www.renault5gtturbo.com/forum...pic.php?t=3750
    The RTOC doesn't seem to do so well in search engines with 5GTTurbo or 5GT Turbo.

But maybe I could help that situation by changing the log in page text a bit as that's what Google seems to find.

I've added the RTOC link back into Wikipedia 5gt turbo, IIRC, I did that a couple of years ago as well as writing at least some of the paragraph '5GTT today'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post

The club should get an RTOC t-shirt and Hat made up for Jason Plato to wear!! Free advertising! Say if you want to use the raider you must wear the hat / shirt
    Won't it be too cold for a T-shirt?

Maybe a small RTOC window sticker on the front screen so it's in the cameras view if they film from the front like they did with Danny Fennel a few years back. That time plato sat in the front passenger seat while Fennel flat shifted through the gears, much to platos surprise. The colossal quantity of gold jewellery in camera view made Fennel look more like an Estate Agent that a drag racer so I expect diminished his credibility somewhat.

Non-member old skool turbo power's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

lol i can seeee your point there steve but to be honest YOUR a brave brave man as you know i think its very clean BUT for some one to rag it around the track im not so keen on that tbh. i dont think they will mess around they will give it some on the track.i seen the post and thought id like to take mine on there as a std engine/car but to think what they COULD do to it i dont know.tryes ok but h/g if it was to go.who pays there my 5 means alot to me as time and money has been spent on the car lol and no one else has drove it.and if they were to write it off but good luck tho mate

Post Thanks / Like

What's with all the negative beef?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with ragging these cars around on track all day long - If they're set up correctly, and not bodged together by feckwits, they'll be as reliable as the next car.

We should all be getting behind Steve for putting himself/his car forward to get it on tv, and to try & hopefully shed some of the chavvy/boy racer image in the process. If RTOC gets a mention, that's a double bonus too

Fair play I say

Post Thanks / Like

I was litterelly about to say something Mart, but then decided I couldn't be arsed Might as well now though..

Believe it or not, these cars were made to be driven, and what on earth is the point in having a fast, pokey, fun handling car, if you're going to be terrified of using it to it's potential! I could understand if it was your mate Danny, who 'juzt wonts a go in de r5 turbz init', but this is a reputable TV company, and I'm sure that if they did blow it up or damage it in any way, they would happily foot the bill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with ragging these cars around on track all day long - If they're set up correctly
    Is Steves car good for lapping?

Increased boost is fine for 15 seconds but is his tested for mile after hard mile?

It would be embarrassing if it lived down to the stereotype and over heated / scored a liner / piston or holed a piston crown.

Plato may well just ignore the pinking and get on with it.

Post Thanks / Like

1bar boost is hardly pushing the reliability boundaries of the c1j.

I'm sure IF anything does pop on his car, the Fifth Gear production team would edit out any 'white steam' moments. At the end of the day, it'll probably just be a timed lap or 3 against the Twingo, and not an endurance thrashing that a few are making it out to potentially be...

Post Thanks / Like

Jeez, that car's being faulted before it's even got to the event. Shut up, you bellends.

Post Thanks / Like

There's absolutely nothing wrong with ragging these cars around on track all day long - If they're set up correctly, and not bodged together by feckwits, they'll be as reliable as the next car.

We should all be getting behind Steve for putting himself/his car forward to get it on tv, and to try & hopefully shed some of the chavvy/boy racer image in the process. If RTOC gets a mention, that's a double bonus too

Fair play I say
    if they want to make buckets of money , let them but a gtt rag too the arse off , there making enough, why should we spend all our money doing our cars up and looking after them just to let someone else have the fun and rewards.
    its not about the reliability or wether it can do it, its about why should we let them, and to offer petrol and maybe tyres, well if it needs tyres ! it will need a whole load else aswell, you try hoofing a car round a track from 9-5 and see how well it drives home!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    Jeez, that car's being faulted before it's even got to the event. Shut up, you bellends.

would you let any boy racer screw your car all day long? tiff is a master i saw him thrash an audi quattro within a bredth of its life the other year and that was just some poor guys car. what if the 5 doesnt break and its fine, will certainly have worn the brakes ,discs, clutch and the like. for what? so they could make their program.
    who wants the boy racers to know they move well , well be all frightened to park them anywhere after the program

think!

Post Thanks / Like

Lol, they wont be ragging it round 9 til 5, they'll probably just do a few laps. The 5 is more than worthy of doing a few miles on track. Don't forget they won't be basing a whole show around this, maybe only 5 minutes of it. Chill out people, Steve is MORE than capable of what he decides to do with his own car, he's a big boy now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D4WNO View Post
    Lol, they wont be ragging it round 9 til 5, they'll probably just do a few laps. The 5 is more than worthy of doing a few miles on track. Don't forget they won't be basing a whole show around this, maybe only 5 minutes of it. Chill out people, Steve is MORE than capable of what he decides to do with his own car, he's a big boy now
    still all the same if it trounces the twingo, chavs will think ,im gonna nick me one of them tonight! insurance will go up and it goes on

who gives a **** whether it beats a twingo anyway ,that aint going to give it much street cred.
    they did a similar thing with the 205 gti against the 206gti and it didnt do the 205 any favours, it came out looking ordinary, and we know its a great car!

Post Thanks / Like

Fair play I say

Post Thanks / Like

yep best of luck steve....bring home the trophy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ollyhock View Post
    would you let any boy racer screw your car all day long? tiff is a master i saw him thrash an audi quattro within a bredth of its life the other year and that was just some poor guys car. what if the 5 doesnt break and its fine, will certainly have worn the brakes ,discs, clutch and the like. for what? so they could make their program.
    who wants the boy racers to know they move well , well be all frightened to park them anywhere after the program

think!

Are you on drugs or something? They're not gonna be thrashing the car all day long, Tiff Needell is hardly a fecking boy racer, and anyone with half an ounce of knowledge (of which there doesn't seem much on this thread) will already know how well the gtt performs anyway.

What, you think that none of the insurance companies, or petrol heads out there, have ever heard of a gtt, or seen it in action on the track/quarter mile strip? Excuse me whilst I try to work out how it obtained that group 14 insurance rating in the first place...

Jeez, anyone would think they were gonna be using your car!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your concern regarding my car, I'm flattered by it all.

However Renault designed this car to be driven & enjoyed & I am just continuing to do that after having re-built it myself & got it into the condition it's in. It didn't just get a quick respray when I re-built it, I stripped the engine down to a bare block, checked everything & re-built it whilst replacing everything that was suspect as I went along. Since the re-build It has:
    • Had the carb re-jetted to run 1 bar of boost
    • Been on the rolling road at the RTOC Thor Motorsport rolling road day & got a full bill of heath.
    • Driven to the Nurburgring, done 4 laps & then driven home
    • Completed several full power runs down the strip at Santa Pod (Best run 15.07sec 92.55mph)
    I'm fully aware that accidents can happen & something can go wrong on the day but I believe that life should be lived every day & my car should be used properly.

You never know if everything goes well, the Raider kicks that Twingo's ass then maybe all those old time GTT owners are on the hunt for 5's again driving the prices up!? We all know these car's are good which is why were on this forum, lets show the non believers!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm fully aware that accidents can happen & something can go wrong on the day but I believe that life should be lived every day & my car should be used properly.

You never know if everything goes well, the Raider kicks that Twingo's ass then maybe all those old time GTT owners are on the hunt for 5's again driving the prices up!? We all know these car's are good which is why were on this forum, lets show the non believers!!
    Spot on!
    Hope its a good day for you and your 5. Will you try to find out the expected air date?

Post Thanks / Like

enjoy the day mate!!

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, the Twingo's ESP button is above your left knee when your sitting in it....

bung some shewing gum over it so they can't turn it off......LOL......

you'l be fine, they are all car mad and also car friendly....all I have seen them do is good stuff,on and off the track.....
    if something was gonna go.....the ring would have shown it up...

GOOD LUCK, kick ass....

Post Thanks / Like

think!

Are you having a ****ing laugh!! It's not the Le Mans 24 hour, you moron.

Where's all this bollocks come from that they're going to rag the car within an inch of its life?

And why on earth has boy racers been brought up? You're in some sort of dream land.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you on drugs or something? They're not gonna be thrashing the car all day long, Tiff Needell is hardly a fecking boy racer, and anyone with half an ounce of knowledge (of which there doesn't seem much on this thread) will already know how well the gtt performs anyway.

What, you think that none of the insurance companies, or petrol heads out there, have ever heard of a gtt, or seen it in action on the track/quarter mile strip? Excuse me whilst I try to work out how it obtained that group 14 insurance rating in the first place...

Jeez, anyone would think they were gonna be using your car!
    no way , im not that daft! i wouldnt let them use my car. chavy 16 year olds dont know about the gtt much, and no im not on drugs

you need to taker a chill pill, ive got some of those.
    all i was saying is who gains and who looses

an iconic car thats lasted 17 years to then be hammmered just so fifth gear can rake in the ratings

it dont maker sense and neither do you my friend!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    Are you having a ****ing laugh!! It's not the Le Mans 24 hour, you moron.

Where's all this bollocks come from that they're going to rag the car within an inch of its life?

And why on earth has boy racers been brought up? You're in some sort of dream land.

so there not going to screw it ?
    its all academic because it aint my car.

crack on,

Post Thanks / Like

I would let them rag the pants out of my 5 around the track, it would be fun to watch. As long as thay pay to fix it if it did let go.

Post Thanks / Like

Touché!

Post Thanks / Like

Bully's gona get ya...

Post Thanks / Like

cant you all shat the fack up and wait for it to be aired or wait for steve to report back after the event is over. fhuck sake

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly can't see any pro driver wragging a car any worse than I would myself...

the car can cope, it was built for this reason,it will survive....end of...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul b View Post
    I honestly can't see any pro driver wragging a car any worse than I would myself...

the car can cope, it was built for this reason,it will survive....end of...
    ofcourse it will cope ,your missing my point!

Post Thanks / Like

well done steve on getting the feature .

ollycock chill man they are hardly going to kill it, as for wear on clutch, brakes etc etc i think your being a bit extreme if not tight. they are using proffesional drivers and they wont be driving it to a inch of its life and even if they did these engines love it, 120 laps at cadwell and 150 at mallory, 30 runs at pod on a std engine at 20 psi and not a single fault on mine and i drove it home after every event. i think your being paranoid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    well done steve on getting the feature .

ollycock chill man they are hardly going to kill it, as for wear on clutch, brakes etc etc i think your being a bit extreme if not tight. they are using proffesional drivers and they wont be driving it to a inch of its life and even if they did these engines love it, 120 laps at cadwell and 150 at mallory, 30 runs at pod on a std engine at 20 psi and not a single fault on mine and i drove it home after every event. i think your being paranoid.

have a great day steve, hope you have fun, its a good piece of footage to keep with the car and i hope the gtt kicks arse.

why didnt i just say that in the first place
    Last edited by ollyhock; 05-11-2008 at 23:28.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    The colossal quantity of gold jewellery in camera view made Fennel look more like an Estate Agent that a drag racer so I expect diminished his credibility somewhat.
    Funny you should mention that, he was an estate agent

Post Thanks / Like

Could be worse, it could have been Top Gear & Clarkson driving

Good luck Steve, i'm sure it will all be ok

Post Thanks / Like

dont listen to the poo thats being spoken Steve, i think its more jealousy then anything else!

some of these people can only wish they had a 5 like yours, to be featured in fifth gear!

enjoy and dont forget to let us know how you get on!

Post Thanks / Like

You are right there about the jealousy!

Steve you can take my car along as well for "parts" so if a indicator gets broken you can replace it with mine. I can then say "look thats my indicator on that raider going around the track on Fith gear, a bit of my car's on TV!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Will they do a 0 to 60 and a top speed run?

I'm wondering what Renault will say if the five does do faster laps and else.

We know the bosses at Renault want to play down the old Renaults to promote the new ones.

I expect they expect to prove that new Renault hot hatch turbo power is best.

If the GTT wins, Renault might insist the feature is not screened.

I would think the whole point of this is to sell the new Renault, not the old one.

If the TV shows wanted to do a feature on old classic hot hatches then that would be where a particularly fast 5GTT would be of interest to the TV show makers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Will they do a 0 to 60 and a top speed run?

I'm wondering what Renault will say if the five does do faster laps and else.

We know the bosses at Renault want to play down the old Renaults to promote the new ones.

I expect they expect to prove that new Renault hot hatch turbo power is best.

If the GTT wins, Renault might insist the feature is not screened.

I would think the whole point of this is to sell the new Renault, not the old one.

If the TV shows wanted to do a feature on old classic hot hatches then that would be where a particularly fast 5GTT would be of interest to the TV show makers.
    The difference between the Twingo and the 5GTT though is a lot more than just performance in this day and age. The Twingo is going to be safer, have more mod cons, sleeker in its design etc... It's basically showing that Renault can still develop fun, nippy cars but with practicality and safety built into one. At the end of the day, Fifth Gear don't try to sell the cars, they test and review them to let the audience decide what is best. Even if the 5GTT does beat the Twingo it won't be the first time that and older model has prevailed over its successors, take the Golf GTi's for example. Top Gear tested a range of GTi's from the MK1 to the MK(whatever they're on now) and the MK1 beat all of the newer models in a drag race, but I doubt this put the manufacturers off from selling them, nor did it deter the buyers. I think they are just putting this feature on because, like us, they want to see how the older cars fair up against the new kids on the block. $hits and giggles innit

Post Thanks / Like

I have a vague recollection that we let Jason Plato drive one of our GTTs before for Fifth Gear - back in the R5GTTOC days? Or am I imagining it? I seem to recall he kept revving it very high so the alternator belt kept coming off. The video was on the old site.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I have a vague recollection that we let Jason Plato drive one of our GTTs before for Fifth Gear - back in the R5GTTOC days? Or am I imagining it? I seem to recall he kept revving it very high so the alternator belt kept coming off. The video was on the old site.

I think it Barry from St Albans black one... hardly a well kept example...