Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tubular Manifolds

Talk ,talk ,it's only talk

Fair points raised from all , we don't have to agree about everything to be on the same side

Post Thanks / Like

I Have been using the raceland equal length header for a year now with no problems at all good quality piece of kit yes the exhaust note does change but its different mine sounds a bit like a rs turbo (quite like it) suppose every ones will be different depending on the rest of there exhaust system

rebuild11.jpg

rebuild13.jpg

33548_1639893398535_1272799723_31791524_3268730_n.jpg

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scott 5gtt View Post
    I Have been using the raceland equal length header for a year now with no problems at all good quality piece of kit yes the exhaust note does change but its different mine sounds a bit like a rs turbo (quite like it) suppose every ones will be different depending on the rest of there exhaust system

rebuild11.jpg

rebuild13.jpg

33548_1639893398535_1272799723_31791524_3268730_n.jpg

Question is apart from sound did you notice any difference in performance,spool up.etc.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

defo help with spooling , noticed a 300 rpm improvement when fitted over oe item[/QUOTE]

this was the k tec item though,

Post Thanks / Like

"Trev, actually I thought you just hadn't read all of the thread" - Ok no worries, I see the angle you came at it from but I don't know why you would have assumed that I hadn't read the whole thread, especially given my prior post on page 2.

"so less of the entirely unnecessary beef please" - Hmmm, in that case it feels right to say less of the entirely unnecessary needle Dawn. Which was the chicken and which was the egg in that situation?

Bottom line is, despite not being in this group buy it seems we are both interested in its outcome and it would seem we're hoping that someone is motivated enough to do before and after RR sessions to answer one of the age old C1J questions

Any takers?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluntyR5GTT View Post
    Question is apart from sound did you notice any difference in performance,spool up.etc.

lol yeah mate cos i fitted a t28 and a 285 and did a full rebuild at the same time otherwise i dont know because it was standard with standard manifold before.. i recon it does help with spool up like

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, received the sample raceland manifold today thanks to clee, will be bolting it up to an engine tomorrow evening and i'll take some pics of it fitted. I'll also get a straight ruler on it before fitment to check for warp on flanges. But to be honest all looks good, it's definetly lighter than the mk1 ktec maifoldand also retains the threaded top holes in turbo flange as per standard manifold.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

is someone actually going to do a back to best test with these against standard then ?

Post Thanks / Like

theres the rolling road day coming up in march.. maybe somebody could do it on that day, get the first run in the morning, then get it swapped and go again in the afternoon

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a good idea but is anyone whos bought one actually coming the day? iv not bothered as everyone on hear always says its a pointless waste of money and the satndard one is more than adequate

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i used to run the ktech mk1 one and i can say that on my car it made my terminal speed at the pod drop by 2mph when i refitted the standard item.. But then thats my engine.. Also noticed spool up was slower to.

I've ordered one as the way i see it, it cant make it any worse and its only 120 quid, got to be better than wasting money on a bass box or chrome crap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    i used to run the ktech mk1 one and i can say that on my car it made my terminal speed at the pod drop by 2mph when i refitted the standard item.. But then thats my engine.. Also noticed spool up was slower to.

I've ordered one as the way i see it, it cant make it any worse and its only 120 quid, got to be better than wasting money on a bass box or chrome crap
    Or a stainless steal sterio

Post Thanks / Like

ive ordered one and will be attending, doubt ill get chance to do back to back tho :S

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you fancy doing it T I reckon we could easily swap them over.........

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, the discussion over the value of tubular manifolds vs standards items is done with. It's not as if any of you have had experience of this particular manifold anyway. Most of the lads have paid up so less of the 'I heard this is a waste of time'.

As for the RR day before and after - come on guys, someone step up

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah someone step up for it

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Guys, the discussion over the value of tubular manifolds vs standards items is done with. It's not as if any of you have had experience of this particular manifold anyway. Most of the lads have paid up so less of the 'I heard this is a waste of time'.

As for the RR day before and after - come on guys, someone step up
    thing is mate all the lads that called them a waste of money have now gone and got one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MADFIVE View Post
    thing is mate all the lads that called them a waste of money have now gone and got one.
    Who is all the lads?

Any way doeas it really matter? the fact they are so cheap is why the people that have previously said no to them have changed there minds..

At the price they are if they turn out to be detrimental people have only lost a cheeky 120... not the 4 to 5 hundred ktec and the likes wanted....

for them to be tested it will have to be on every different stage of engine to guage if its good or not as every engine is different.

Post Thanks / Like

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

but surely if these are as most people on here put it a waste of time as the standard one is better then regardless of cost be it 100 or 500 notes its throwing your money away.

i did notice one of these raceland manifolds for sale on ebay it was upto around £190 last time i looked so someone is making a bit of profit lol

Post Thanks / Like

what i really am saying is so what if sombody decided they want one now and didnt then... ive never really been botherd about them as i had a manifold (standard item) that did the job why spend money on a pretty one that has no proven gain....

saw this deal and thought pahh i'll try it out ...

Does it really matter who said what in the past? i just think its a good show of club support getting this sorted..

as i say to test it, it really should be tested on every varient of set up to find what it works best and worst on....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

if they know that there not good. then why buy one even if its 120 notes. 120 is alot of money at the min. with people losing there jobs. imo i would keep it in my bank.

Post Thanks / Like

If i was at the stage of doing my engine i would probably get one for the price, as it stands i'm still sorting out the body work.

I think alot of people look at it from a bhp/£, so to spend £400+ for 1-5bhp? gain at best is 1 bhp/£100

spend £120 for 1-5 bhp? gain at best is 1bhp/£17ish

that's why alot of people have the opinion that they're a waste of money and time but now it makes more sense as the real power gains have been done, ie bigger turbo, better fueling, less restrictive exhaust as that's where you'd spend the money if you had £500 to spend on performance mods

Post Thanks / Like

When did RTOC become so political? I mean really who cares that much if so and so said tubular manifolds suck then goes out buy one at a bargain price.

I'm pretty sure everyone has spent 100 odd notes on worse things, all in all worst case scenario you end up with a big shiny doorstop

I'd just like to say thanks to the people who set the deal up I could always do with more parts to store in my bedroom/warehouse!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep this is great work by the Rtoc members and comitee.
    Hope for lots more group buys in the future.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

fare do. its just that from what ive expearanced in the last 5months. is that when ever people want to do stuff on there cars a surtain few tell you that its not good for your car also ive had bad comments about my car. ie people hoping the head gasket goes. and that who ever sets my car up is sh*t and has the exp of a 2year old. ive always been told that there is a surtain few that are balls deep in each other. and dont like people doing better than them on there cars. i didnt belive it but im starting to belive it now.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree that the club has done well getting this deal and hope more things like this can be done more often

Post Thanks / Like

if they know that there not good. then why buy one even if its 120 notes. 120 is alot of money at the min. with people losing there jobs. imo i would keep it in my bank.
    That's not what your strategy was when deciding to buy/fit a cone filter, chromed rocker cover and ally header tank. All of which either provide no added value or are actually detrimental.

I'd like to know from those who're nay-saying on here, exactly what their point is. Are you trying to be altruistic and your intention is to dissuade these guys from what you believe is them wasting their money? As far as I can see that's the only half-decent reason. If that is the case, then most here are going about it in a very insensitive and cack-handed fashion. Rubbish

Post Thanks / Like

fare do. its just that from what ive expearanced in the last 5months. is that when ever people want to do stuff on there cars a surtain few tell you that its not good for your car also ive had bad comments about my car. ie people hoping the head gasket goes. and that who ever sets my car up is sh*t and has the exp of a 2year old. ive always been told that there is a surtain few that are balls deep in each other. and dont like people doing better than them on there cars. i didnt belive it but im starting to belive it now.
    Haha whos ball deep in who

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's not what your strategy was when deciding to buy/fit a cone filter, chromed rocker cover and ally header tank. All of which either provide no added value or are actually detrimental.

I'd like to know from those who're nay-saying on here, exactly what their point is. Are you trying to be altruistic and your intention is to dissuade these guys from what you believe is them wasting their money? As far as I can see that's the only half-decent reason. If that is the case, then most here are going about it in a very insensitive and cack-handed fashion. Rubbish
    thats the way im feeling at this moment in time. ill say whats on my mine and if you and anybody else dont like what im saying then tough.

Post Thanks / Like

thats the way im feeling at this moment in time. ill say whats on my mine and if you and anybody else dont like what im saying then tough.
    You've been upset by some people (as I notice you've said in another post), and you're using that as an excuse to make other people feel the same way. Well, I guess being old enough to drive doesn't equate to being grown up.

I'm done with this conversation.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

You've been upset by some people (as I notice you've said in another post), and you're using that as an excuse to make other people feel the same way. Well, I guess being old enough to drive doesn't equate to being grown up.

I'm done with this conversation.
    thats fine by me mate.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe its best get this thread back onto topic. I was in no way putting this deal down i thinks its good the club is doing group buys and i would love these to make an improvement over standard. I dont think grant is putting the deal down either everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I just think they look pretty thats why im buying one

Post Thanks / Like

Right been tinkering in the garage with the new manifold. Firstly checked the faces of the turbo flange and manifold flange with a straight edge. Turbo flange flat around the center bore but with run off where the mounting holes are probably due to over deburring with grinder. Manifold flange flat across the bores again, very slight step (less then 1mm) when measuring out from inner bores to the outer ones but should pull up when bolted to the head.
    As for fitment no problems, no filing or metal removed at all, just a good wiggle of inlet when both pushed on to head studs. Both inlet and exhaust manifold flat on the head without any nuts to pull it up. All so a bonus the inlet mounting flange and exhaust mounting flange are the same thickness unlike the KTEC one that i have.
    Right just for tonight tried a standard T2 turbo on the manifold with a 2.5 inch crossover pipe and no issues to report. Compared the turbo mounting angle to a standard manifold on another head and really can't make out any differences. Even crossover pipe seems to be in the correct position in relation to inlet manifold.
    Will try a bigger turbo and different crossover pipe monday night and post more pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

More pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking good, does it interfer with the stater motor like the mk1 k-tec job used to if you were running OE starter and not the thinner so called uprated version

Post Thanks / Like

There shouldn't be an issue will throw on a large starter motor tomorror and check fitment

Post Thanks / Like

looking good, thanks for the feeeeeedback !

Post Thanks / Like

Definately worth the £119, payment sent.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i must say it does look like a quality bit of kit

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5279 View Post
    There shouldn't be an issue will throw on a large starter motor tomorror and check fitment
    And the starter heat shield?

Post Thanks / Like

Well may have a starter heat shield in the loft but you have to remind me what it looks like. Haven't had one on any of me cars for a while and lots of bits in the loft.

Post Thanks / Like

Shiny if new, squarish and curved down the middle to fit around the shape of the round starter. Maybe 12 inches by maybe 10". IIFC, two bolt holes.

Post Thanks / Like

starter heat shield in here so you know what you're looking for

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-5-star...item4aa8a7d9aa

Post Thanks / Like

I don't what that is, but it's not a 5GTT starter heat shield.

Turbine cover maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    I don't what that is, but it's not a 5GTT starter heat shield.

Turbine cover maybe?

oh! sorry

Post Thanks / Like

I want one if these when do you need payment don't get paid intill the end of the month lol cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nayls View Post
    oh! sorry
    Well spotted though I also looked for a photo.
    Quote Originally Posted by clio16vgt View Post
    when do you need payment don't get paid intill the end of the months
    That's 10 days that you're paid? We'll be buying a few extra.

We could have another list of those want one in a week or two, maybe we'll take a deposit from those people so we don't find ourselves left with too many in stock.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good I defo want one 100%