Post Thanks / Like

Any boat owners (help)

Well i thought this may be worth a try as ive been searching for hours & im not finding any info on google.
    my friend has just baught this boat as a little toy. http://malta.boatshed.com/tullio_abb...oat-62444.html
    And we want to take it from exeter where its moored to amsterdam but we both know nothing about boats hes had some small speed boats & jetskies in the passed but nothing like this.
    well the boat has two 7.4 litre v8's at 300bhp per engine given 600bhp and does a top speed around 45 knots it is 36 foot long and is an offshore cruiser.
    basically first off i want to know if im going to make it there alive
    what sort of time the journey will take?
    and is there anything we need to know before setting off as we are complete noobs to this, & i dont want to die.
    im finding it very hard to find info online so any help would be great.
    cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any boat owners (help)

LOL

no dieing would be bad

thats one hell of a trip!!!! going through the English Channel, its a bit like the M25 but where you won't have the right of way atall!!!!

your best, if you want to get there, finding your local RYA training place and seeing if they have a basics radio course (thats if the boat has one and I'd make sure it bloody does) and also do a navagation course! as once you're out at sea, everything looks the same......... BLUE/green/poo/sick

there's nothing like being out at sea but Id make sure you have a good GPS, NOT satnav and lots of safety gear. oh and really really good insurance

honestly................................just take the car and get the ferry! its gonna be cheaper and quicker as the chances of you doing 45knts the whole way isn't gonna happen without you breaking something, esp in the seas up the east coast!

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for the reply, i thaught it wasnt going to be so straight foward as he thinks, he seems to be under the impression he can just get in the boat type in where hes going pull the throttle back and job done.
    i will definatly show him your post and hopefully he will take note as hes paid a 10% deposit at this stage maybee he should look into it propperly before he pays the rest out

Post Thanks / Like

try an contact the coast guard or even the RNLI and ask them. even though its the sea there are rules and equipment you need. thay are there to help

Honorary Member Bruce - BHPerformance's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hold a powerboat licence. It is a course you have to take if you want to get insurance. Covers weather, gps, radios and safety.
    Anyone can drive the boat but if you **** up prepare to pay stupid amounts of fines and prison time is a possability.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest hiring a captain as a minimum.

Post Thanks / Like

me and my old man used to race offshore powerboats upto 32 ft long and all over england mate mainly at cowes isle of wight were we won round the island race back in 1998 in the touring class averaging a speed of 61mph but with a top speed of 83mph you will be fine mate just open it up and enjoy just remember when your parking it put one engine in drive and the other engine in reverse and you will find the boat will go side ways and you will park it with ease it may take you time to get used to all the controls but with some time it will be like riding a bike

one good point is when parking get ready to kick yourself off other boats lol as the toffs will get the right hump good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Is this a joke?

If it is, it's funny. If it's not, it's deadly.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep ,seriously dangerous to even attempt it with zero experience + probably end up in a whole heap of trouble if anything goes wrong apart from endangering other shipping

Cool looking craft though .Where you stashing the yayo ?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

firstly you will need to make sure your boat is sea worthy ie.. has navigation lights,radar reflector, offshore flare kit , vhf radio/antenna, first aid kit and offshore self inflated life jackets for all crew , and manual compass (with corrections adjusted for longitude/latitude fitted as a must,you will need a to do the 1 day boat safety course(rules of the road) daytime navigation ,buoy identification and rights of way) possibly the advanced course, which deals with night time navigation,and advanced chart reading skills etc, both have theory and practicle exams which are a fail or pass, you will need to do a vhf radio course to be able to use the radio by law(in case there is an emergency ,boat sinking ,mob, etc) i have done both the vhf and 1 day boat saftey course, and have been out to sea many times on charter deep sea wrecking trips , and a few times out in a 16ft inflatable ,and my 18ft shetland, (9 miles out on a good day)

i would not dream of setting out to holland without at least 1 years experience of coast navigation and a good knowledge of your intended destination , marine gps , and a **** load of fuel and big enough tank cos that engine will eat it and a good weekends weather forcast , the charter boat we use is a 40 ft cat and when your 28/30 n miles out its not a very big object to be in , and been caught out twice with the weather, force 2-3 turned to 4-5 and 12ft waves, not nice

hope that hepls ,not trying to put you off

courses were not cheap either,as is anything to do with boats

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

just add we use to sit at between 14-18 knts , didnt guzzle the fuel and didnt slam to much into the waves ,(east coast is a short choppy waved sea a most of the time) that is in the 40ft cat

Post Thanks / Like

Haha ... AWESOME... I like your mates thinking, buy a rather quick dinghy... Motor it to Amsterdam, score a few hookers and do the drug run back... pmsl. Seriously epic dude

Post Thanks / Like

that is a big trip to undertake.i work in the marine world so i you decide you want it skiperd back then i can give you the number of skiper who does boat delivery.

Here is a pic of driving our demo boat 300hp outboard only a few hundred yards of the shore.things can bad mid channel if it blows up

Post Thanks / Like

This topic has help a couple of people no end.

like andy said get a captain. or do all the training and get set off

Rtoc

Post Thanks / Like

Boats and the sea is my world. I dream of working at sea but havent made it happen as of yet This year am going to do my sea survival and get a job on local wind farms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Is this a joke?

If it is, it's funny. If it's not, it's deadly.

Shakes, does you mate smoke the herb, and come up with crazy ideas alot? If so ,what made him go through with this idea?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrixNFlix View Post

Shakes, does you mate smoke the herb, and come up with crazy ideas alot? If so ,what made him go through with this idea?

thats what amsterdam is all about smoke the herb and the females

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by modfather View Post
    thats what amsterdam is all about smoke the herb and the females

agree to find a captain....try googlin captain seaman staines...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post

Yep ,seriously dangerous to even attempt it with zero experience + probably end up in a whole heap of trouble if anything goes wrong apart from endangering other shipping

Cool looking craft though .Where you stashing the yayo ?
    Up my nose.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replys guys and the funny comments i showed him this thread.
    his respomce is well i never new how to ride a bike once untill i got one and learned.
    he flipped a coin and it looks like amsterdam her we come if were lucky enough to make it
    well he got the boat for 17k with a mooring thrown in he has paid a 10% deposit and is waiting for guy to get back to him to let him know when they open the locks so we can take it for test drive all going well which it should he will have the boat in the next couple of week's. apperently the guy selling the boat is a marine engineer he fitted the engines in 2000 and it has only done 180 hours on them.
    well my mate is addiment that hes going to take it over to amsterdam on the first trip.
    This thread is not a joke he is deadly serious, you'd have to smoke a hell of alot of weed to take a trip to exeter to look at a boat and part with a £1700 deposit just on a crazy idea.
    And you guys think amsterdam is a hell of a trip the nutters on about going to tailand in a few months if this trip goes well LOL
    he asked the guy about a licence and he was told that you dont have to have a licence to get insurance it just makes it a bit cheaper but its not that dear anyway. and he said we would be fine going to amsterdam on this boat as long as we check the weather and dont go on more than a forse 7 gail. (but he did say he wouldnt recommend going straight out there & he should get some experiance first).
    The boat has radio to coast thing, gps and a first aid kit etc.
    i trust what you guys say who has obviously been there and done it that its going to be dangerious trip with no experiance but after having my renault 5 on the road just 3 days and the stress its given me makes dieing at sea seem like a good option
    i cant wait to get some pics of our mission to show you guys if we make it back alive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrightygtt View Post
    Haha ... AWESOME... I like your mates thinking, buy a rather quick dinghy... Motor it to Amsterdam, score a few hookers and do the drug run back... pmsl. Seriously epic dude
    love it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J$£5GTT View Post

agree to find a captain....try googlin captain seaman staines...
    pmsl jay nearly every one of your posts crack me up

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread reminds me of that episode of Only Fools and Horses when they hire a boat and sail it to Amsterdam for the diamonds!

I would definitely NOT do it without a lot of experience

Post Thanks / Like

Have you and your mate made a will ? Leave it to these guys
    http://www.rnli.org.uk/

Post Thanks / Like

Feck a duck, this has got fail written all over it.

If only TomTom did a North Sea map eh; "At Piper Alpha, turn right. Warning! Wind-turbines ahead. In 100 miles...you're f*cked"

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

This has got a Darwin awards nomination written all over it.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the funniest things I've read in a long while

Post Thanks / Like

Watch and learn boys....Watch and learn

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Feck a duck, this has got fail written all over it.

If only TomTom did a North Sea map eh; "At Piper Alpha, turn right. Warning! Wind-turbines ahead. In 100 miles...you're f*cked"
    award goes to mart , best quote yet.....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lolz. Most members of RTOC can't even drive to Poddington without serious incident. This should be funny.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
    And you guys think amsterdam is a hell of a trip the nutters on about going to tailand in a few months if this trip goes well LOL
    he asked the guy about a licence and he was told that you dont have to have a licence to get insurance it just makes it a bit cheaper but its not that dear anyway. and he said we would be fine going to amsterdam on this boat as long as we check the weather and dont go on more than a forse 7 gail. (but he did say he wouldnt recommend going straight out there & he should get some experiance first).
    The boat has radio to coast thing, gps and a first aid kit etc.
    i trust what you guys say who has obviously been there and done it that its going to be dangerious trip with no experiance but after having my renault 5 on the road just 3 days and the stress its given me makes dieing at sea seem like a good option
    i cant wait to get some pics of our mission to show you guys if we make it back alive.
    just to add there is a size limit for sailing /steering a boat without any training and that is around 18-22ft i think of the top of my head, it could be slightly more,anyway if you are intent on doing this crazy /STUPID trip then at least get somebody to show both of you how to use the vhf radio in case you get into difficulty /emergency, even in summer the water temp is cold and survival is at best 1/2 to an hour with out survival suit , and with out a mayday signal or emergency transmitter fitted (to find your last recorded position) your as good as dead, it would be like looking for a flea on an elephants arse!!! and wear a decent life jacket at all times even on the mariner or where your boats moored, it all helps with image, and people are more likley to help assist ,rather than look on at think"look at them pair of ****s" and stay out the way in fear of there own lives/property

Post Thanks / Like

please delete this post

Post Thanks / Like

Basically No is the answer to your question, without going into to much detail, I would not attempt it in that boat ! Firstly it is a bloody long way I'm talking 12 hours, secondly that's not going to be a fun, smooth, warm or quite 12 hours. Just take the boat out for an hour or 2 off shore and you will see what I mean.

One of my jobs is working for a Fairline dealership delivering and collecting boats from all over the South East Coast, I've have been Amsterdam and Rotterdam a number of times and I'm not talking toys like that I'm talking half a million up words.

2 Boats we bought back from Amsterdam

IIRC the bigger one is about 50ft and smaller one 40 something.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^ A guy I work with at sunseeker used to be a warranty engineer for fairline. Lol at toys, I'm talking 10 million upwards

Post Thanks / Like

Pissing contest lol
    im rocking one of these bad boys, its got oars and everything
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

meh ! if it costs less than £million/meter I'm not even interested

Post Thanks / Like

SHARK ATTACK!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
    his respomce is well i never new how to ride a bike once untill i got one and learned.
    he flipped a coin and it looks like amsterdam her we come if were lucky enough to make it

well my mate is addiment that hes going to take it over to amsterdam on the first trip.
    This thread is not a joke he is deadly serious,

When he learned to ride a bike, did he spend his first 12 hours on the M25?

I'm still of the opinion this is a wind up. If it's not, you're as much of a tool for agreeing to go along as he is for suggesting it.

If you do make it there and back without incident you'll be thinking you know it all. That could be the next worst outcome after drowning.

N@b heads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    When he learned to ride a bike, did he spend his first 12 hours on the M25?

I'm still of the opinion this is a wind up. If it's not, you're as much of a tool for agreeing to go along as he is for suggesting it.

If you do make it there and back without incident you'll be thinking you know it all. That could be the next worst outcome after drowning.

N@b heads.
    I do like your posts Trev, straight to the point .

Post Thanks / Like

In all seriousness this is fcuking dangerous, not only is this one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world rounding Dover you then have the Thames estuary to contend with. Can either of you read charts? What do you have in the way of nav gear? We had a boat return from these waters with massive damage, four stringers ripped from the hull, smashed two heavily bonded bulkheads, cracked the hardtop all from a freak wave that nearly took the lives of two of our most experienced senior testers.

Post Thanks / Like

Be aware that if you cross ferrys path or cargo ship, you will face criminal charges, shipping lanes are heavily protected..

other than that id vote on you dieing trying... either smashed by a big ship or lost or taken by somali pirates (thats how far off i see you going)

Fecking stupid idea...

This aint layer cake you cant plod back and forth un noticed lol

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys especialy elcie i genunily think you may of saved his life.
    Ive had a long chat with him and showed him this thread he is still going to buy this boat.
    however he is just going to have some fun with it down the south coast this summer not to far fron shore and gain some experiance.
    He is also going to look into a radio corse and safty/map reading corse.
    maybee one day we will make amsterdam but not this year and not in this boat.
    seriously thanks alot of good advice here and the funny comments braught more interest to this topic so cheers all

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear it.