Post Thanks / Like

machine polishing

I have been a valeter for about 12 years now and never machined polished before, watched a few people doing it, had a little dabble a few weeks back.

My little boy went round my old BM and my girlfriends merc with a toy car or something he picked up in the garage while helping me build the gt last year , anyway i had the BM done by a friend where i had a little go myself.

We are selling her car now as she has a new one, so i had to get her car polished.

I looked into d/a and rotary polishers, d/a for beginners rotary for men i was told

I ended up buying a Dodo juice spin doctor, backing plate and 2 pads, i had some g3 g10 and glaze already.

So i set to work. I took it nice and slow to start with. It took me 3hrs to do all the scratches with g3 then the full car in g10, i then put one of my hand polishes on to finish it off.

Oh la la is all i can say, the car looks brand new, it was in good nick before i started apart from the marks, but it really looks great now.

Anyone pass on any tips, have i done this the right way round, i was not sure weather to do the whole car in g3 then g10.

phil

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: machine polishing

am interested in this also as its something id like to get into to eg what speeds do you use on the polisher etc whats best to use etc etc

Post Thanks / Like

My dodo starts at 10 and goes upto 30.

I spotted the pad with compound then dabbed the panel, started of on 10 slow, covered the full area up and down, side to side.

I stopped and wet the panel with a spray, just water, that wet everything up nice, i then went to 15 so half speed and just repeated up and down side to side and was just a bit firmer with the scratch area and let the machine glide on the rest.

I found as i passed over the scratch i could see it when going one direction the not the other, the paste sort of sat in the scratch, the more i went over it in different directions the mark just faded away.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to know what to do with a flat red car or white, would you g3 the whole car then g10 and then glaze, or is the g10 enough to bring up a shine on a faded car?

Can you use a carnuba wax with the buffing pad on a machine polisher? i have a p21 product, but it is very hard to remove by hand.

South East Regional Rep soapymech's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post

I found as i passed over the scratch i could see it when going one direction the not the other, the paste sort of sat in the scratch, the more i went over it in different directions the mark just faded away.
    your pulling paint into the scratch, problem is if the scratch is too deep tou will just take it off again when you wash the car

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soapymech View Post
    your pulling paint into the scratch, problem is if the scratch is too deep tou will just take it off again when you wash the car

washed it straight after, tfrd the whole car, jet washed and put through my wash, all the marks were still gone so i must have got them

South East Regional Rep soapymech's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

washed it straight after, tfrd the whole car, jet washed and put through my wash, all the marks were still gone so i must have got them
    you were lucky had a few key marks down cars,friend of mine polishes cars for a living he has spent 3 hours on one scratch before using the mop and spray leaving gaps for the panel to cool looks good till ya wash it just too deep i suppose

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been machine polishing for nearly 2 years now, G3 is not the way to go, doesn't self lubricate, you need somit abit better, try Menzerna, there' half a dozen different grades depending on the paint and how deep the marks are, its self lubricating, believe me when I first used it, I couldn't believe how easy it was compared to G3 and how much better the results were

Post Thanks / Like

I think g3 it the standard for new paint really isnt it though ?, just seems a commonly used product by bodyshops after flatting fresh paint.

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    I think g3 it the standard for new paint really isnt it though ?, just seems a commonly used product by bodyshops after flatting fresh paint.
    True but it's hard to use, menzerna is slot easier to work with and it's alot more forgiving for less exsperienced

Post Thanks / Like

I've been getting very OCD with cleaning over the last year. Looking into getting a DA in the spring time to clear up some swirls.
    Doing it by hand it killing my arms

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Scratched- just come over and borrow mine mate. Get your self a bottle of compound
    Save you getting one as you only need to do it once to last a good year or two+.

They do make a real mess though. Spray goes everywhere.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

I was covered head to toe in white spray, note to me, where spare work coat next time

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the other advice guys, i had a good chat with a mate who has done loads of machine polishing last night, he was saying a final coat on the polisher with super resin is also a good way to finish off to.

I guess its a case of have a go and see what you find best and comfortable with.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at my AX project thread pal.

About half way down i started detailing the car.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=11145

Spend a fortune on products etc, all adds up at the end of the day, took me a full week, but results were pretty amazing considering how it looked before i started.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jessop View Post
    Take a look at my AX project thread pal.

About half way down i started detailing the car.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=11145

Spend a fortune on products etc, all adds up at the end of the day, took me a full week, but results were pretty amazing considering how it looked before i started.

That does look great what a difference, top job, im a stickler for clean door jams to

My renault has had a paint job from dave at sbs, could i use a canuba wax on the polisher, and would i have to buy a wool pad.

I love glazing my cars but its bloody hard work

Post Thanks / Like

The waxes aren't really designed to be put on by machine polisher. Although DoDo Juice have released a 'stick' version of their premium 'Supernatural' wax, just for that job.

There's no effort required into applying a good wax, as you've already done the hard work in the prep'. You just smear it on, then buff it off, so you might as well do it by hand (I prefer to use foam applicators, as it uses the wax more sparingly). Which P21S (now branded R222) wax have you got? If it's the Concourse look carnauba (the most popular), then you really shouldn't have any problems removing it, as it's well known for being one of the easiest waxes out there to use. It's good stuff - If only it was a bit more durable. I used to use it on my old 5:

https://rtoc.org/boards/album.php?alb...pictureid=8292

Oh, and if you're using a wax and Super Resin, the wax should go on last. The SRP polishes and cleans, while the wax seals the job. Personally though, I wouldn't use SRP. As good as it is, it's so feckin dusty, and it stains anything that's not paintwork

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    The waxes aren't really designed to be put on by machine polisher. Although DoDo Juice have released a 'stick' version of their premium 'Supernatural' wax, just for that job.

There's no effort required into applying a good wax, as you've already done the hard work in the prep'. You just smear it on, then buff it off, so you might as well do it by hand (I prefer to use foam applicators, as it uses the wax more sparingly). Which P21S (now branded R222) wax have you got? If it's the Concourse look carnauba (the most popular), then you really shouldn't have any problems removing it, as it's well known for being one of the easiest waxes out there to use. It's good stuff - If only it was a bit more durable. I used to use it on my old 5:

https://rtoc.org/boards/album.php?alb...pictureid=8292

Oh, and if you're using a wax and Super Resin, the wax should go on last. The SRP polishes and cleans, while the wax seals the job. Personally though, I wouldn't use SRP. As good as it is, it's so feckin dusty, and it stains anything that's not paintwork

The p21s is at work at the moment, its a small white tub with a blue top, like you said its a pad to put on. I used to use it on all my old cars, i had a grey mini with a black roof and that looked fantastic when done, pictures are in my profile.

I can not wait to have a go on my gt this year, dave has done a good job so getting a nice shine should be easy enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Purple_rob View Post
    Scratched- just come over and borrow mine mate. Get your self a bottle of compound
    Save you getting one as you only need to do it once to last a good year or two+.

They do make a real mess though. Spray goes everywhere.

Rob
    Cool, cheers for the offer mate. I'll have to pop over when the weather's nice again.

Bill, I don't find SRP that dusty. But being a geek now, I've got some of the Poor Boy's white diamond to try out

Is this the longest cleaning thread without someone taking the pee so far?

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

real noob question here now but what pads do you after use for each stage eg swirl removal then glaze and wax ?

Post Thanks / Like

The p21s is at work at the moment, its a small white tub with a blue top, like you said its a pad to put on. I used to use it on all my old cars, i had a grey mini with a black roof and that looked fantastic when done, pictures are in my profile.
    The Mini looks clean

They do two waxes in those pots. One's the Concours look stuff, and then they released a 100% Carnauba one (which isn't ), to try and add a bit more durability to the wax, as it really doesn't last long. Which is great if you like waxing your car often.

Scratcher - I used to use nothing other than SRP back in the day. When all this car cleaning malarky kicked off a few years ago though, and companies started popping up all over the place with more modern formulas, I left the SRP well alone. I bought some last year though for memories sake, and found it really, really dusty. It stained all the black bits on my car as well, so back in the garage it went.

I've got some PoorBoys Black Hole that I use, as my car's a bit darker than yours, and it's really good. Plus, it smells of bubblegum

@ the thread p155 taking. I'm sure Carcrash, and Dave will be along soon

I hate to think how much I've spent on cleaning products in the last year. I might line it all up and get the camera out, just to give the p155 takers some ammo

Post Thanks / Like

I might line all mine up and get a piccy too, just for Marc and Dave
    It does get expensive though doesn't it.

Blunty, you're supposed to start off with soft pads and mild abrasive, and step up untill you get the correction you want. Someone else can probably explain better

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for that iv always enjoyed doing the whole cleaning process on my car but never done the full correction/detail i really want to get as much info as poss so i can have a good go at it

Post Thanks / Like

No probs

Oh dear, I just got all the stuff out, then realised it's only the stuff I use regularly. There's still more in the shed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scratcher View Post
    No probs

Oh dear, I just got all the stuff out, then realised it's only the stuff I use regularly. There's still more in the shed
    You want to see what i have at work

Im guessing from the above car detailing is frowned upon on rtoc?

Post Thanks / Like

no we keep it a secret... your 5 looks ace by the way... proper job...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hew cany lad, how in 12 years have you never picked up a buffer! some valeter
    I'm sure i've got velco hands to my buffer now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by devilish dave View Post
    Hew cany lad, how in 12 years have you never picked up a buffer! some valeter
    I'm sure i've got velco hands to my buffer now
    Shut it ****er