Post Thanks / Like

Re: plans for the winter/new year

Looking good dude.

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks danny

iv decided not get the work done on my car this month due to the clutch deciding its had enough and becoming virtually impossible to get into 1st or reverse lol

so iv already bought an uprated clutch from steveL and am looking into a l/b flywheel courtesy of big jim racing, iv re booked my car in for the 16th of next month so i can have all the following done

fit new clutch and lightweight flywheel
    fit new rebuilt t25/t2 .63 turbo (t28 pulsar wheel and cosworth comp housing)
    fit fmic
    fit 285 cam,vernier and springs
    fit aem wideband kit and plasma gauges
    fit new rebuilt carb jetted for 20psi and check fuelling is spot on

should make for a total different car once done

Post Thanks / Like

Get a job! :-( cash was/is saved to sort a few things but its not going to happen for a while.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

just to add to my list of work being done next month

new gearbox oil
    new fuel and oil filters
    new coolant
    full oil change
    fit rear strut brace
    port inlet and exhaust manifolds

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

new turbo

spec as follows

cosworth comp housing, pulsar t28 wheel, .63 t2 ex housing
    fully rebuilt,balanced, 360 bearing shaft re grinded and bead blasted to look like new

i can now get any turbo done at really good prices from full rebuilds to hybrids like the above just give me a shout via pm

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

sweet looking turbo. What does that spec equate to then? T-what?

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

god knows maybe someone on here will tell us maybe a t28/t2 ?? i know its going put a big fecking smile on my face

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

finally taking my car this sunday to get all the work started not going to gt motorsport though, iv finally got hold of ian nixon again so it will be going to him so i reckon its in good hands

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluntyR5GTT View Post
    finally taking my car this sunday to get all the work started not going to gt motorsport though, iv finally got hold of ian nixon again so it will be going to him so i reckon its in good hands
    cool mate. i thought you were getting that work done at justins.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well i finally got in touch with ian and hes seen me right in the past so its a no brainer to have him do the work. Cant bloody wait now especially interested in seeing what it makes next month at dyno day.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

change of plan yet again ian is unable to do my car for at least 6 wks due to work commitments etc.

also if anyone would fancy doing a clutch on my car this or next weekend then give me a shout as it would really help me
    Last edited by BluntyR5GTT; 17-02-2011 at 15:59.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

couple of quick pics this after

washing,ag hd paint cleanser, ag ultra deep shine polish and ag hd wax ( was clayed in dec and been covered up most that time)

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

quick update has justin (EX Europarts partner) call me last night regarding my car, grant (madfive) had told him i wasnt having much luck with getting it sorted, anyway short of it is we was on the phone for around 30mins and he seems a really good guy so the car is off to him next tuesday evening to get all the work done should have it back on thurs/fri

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

car was dropped off to justin tonight all i can say is cant wait to get it back and test it out

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

so which bits are you having done ?

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

fmic , new turbo, 285 cam kit, carb 20psi set up, plasma oil pressure,level and boost gauges and aem wideband kit, new clutch pedal and cable

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

morettes i have here am thinking of fitting them purely for the air feed onto the filter

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

morettes i have here am thinking of fitting them purely for the air feed onto the filter

Fitting them will be a really good idea matey especially for the air feed, what you need to do is box of the filter behind the light area and relocate the header tank if you have not already done so. I ran that setup a few years back was very good.

What you want to do is get a nice set of HID xenon 6000k bulbs in there
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by James5; 03-03-2011 at 15:40.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

im thinking of re locating the header tank now iv got the morettes, iv also got a gt tuning bumper vent which will get a tad more cool air in there

right onto the bulbs iv been reading different things recently regarding them are some illegal ?

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh the morettes from mr5' old car. U didn't happen to bid on the carbon bonnet by any chance?

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

no mate i didnt bid on a carbon bonnet im a bit skint atm lol

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I recognised them off that 5, use to see it at newcatsle I loved it, anyone no who owns it now?

Blunty have you got that intercooler fitted? Does all the pipes fit round the bay that come with it? Was thinking about getting the same one

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny you should ask that fella. The intercooler is too big to fit behind the bumper there is no way of getting the pipework to it without it fouling on something. Maybe if ghe bumper was cut out then it would be possible but im not prepared do that and ruin the looks. So iv bought a cosworth 4x4 intercooler which fit really well.
    Also hit a prob with the turbo with the oil feed union we have tried 4diff ones and none fit even tried pirtek and they couldnt help.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Iv Actually put the full fmic up for sale but not bothered on here as i dont want sell something that might not fit even with a cut front bumper.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

update

you know the saying waiting for a bus and 2 come along well so was the case with intercoolers iv now got 2 4x4 cosworth intercoolers here so ill stick one up for sale asap.

dropped the intercooler down to automedics and justin had been all over stoke trying sort this turbo oil feed union its ended up with us having get a complete custom feed made up for £58 which im happy with as it means it will be ready for dyno day next sat so all being well ill be out testing it thursday evening

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

update

intercooler is now on and all piped up had to use a 2wd cossie one as the 4x4 one would of meant having to butcher my front end and i aint prepared to do that.
    turbo is on and new oil feed etc fitted and biggest news is its ALIVE just gotta get the boost set tomorrow at 20psi and i get my car back

cant speak highly enough of justin at automedics hes gone outta his way to help me more than once over the past 2-3weeks

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

update

intercooler is now on and all piped up had to use a 2wd cossie one as the 4x4 one would of meant having to butcher my front end and i aint prepared to do that.
    turbo is on and new oil feed etc fitted and biggest news is its ALIVE just gotta get the boost set tomorrow at 20psi and i get my car back

cant speak highly enough of justin at automedics hes gone outta his way to help me more than once over the past 2-3weeks
    good old justin i new he wouldnt let you down mate. roll on to satday and lets here you 5 boosting away and pulling good power.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

too right grant mate am looking forward to seeing what it can do going be a bit diff than a t2 @ 15psi lol

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

off to automedics i go exited just a bit

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Project looks good but I have to wonder why you haven't done any of the work yourself? the fun of having these cars is the driving of them and then fixing of them and doing the upgrades and mod's yourself.

How big are the 2wd cossie coolers? from memory aren't they a smilier size to the OE r5 intercooler apart from the cossie jobbie can be moved to a better air flow place but then has a much longer piperun so is it really going to be good for the boost and power you are wanting to run?? I would have stuck with the GTTuning intercooler personally over the 2wd cossie version
    Last edited by James5; 17-03-2011 at 11:19.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

cossie 2wd ones are 4" thick and 20" long they are good for 270bhp its defo free up some space for the air filter got a bit more air flow as well as iv got the morrettes on with small light taken out and also gt tuning bumper vent

honestly mate i much prefer just let someone do it, but i am starting to get alot more involved and taking alot in since owing the gtt

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ill get some pics etc of engine bay today

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Project looks good but I have to wonder why you haven't done any of the work yourself? the fun of having these cars is the driving of them and then fixing of them and doing the upgrades and mod's yourself.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Its back :-)

All i can say is wow and how impressed i am with my new set up especially my new turbo its amazing pulls like a train. Iv also removed the dump valve which will please alot of people on here lol. Got the air filter mounted up behind the grille as well. Just gotta fine tune the carb and give it a good clean tomorrow evening

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thought i would now start updating this thread as a follow on to my spring/summer thread.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=21274

As some of you might know iv now started working on saturdays with justin down at automedics (am motorsport) and this has an added bonus of a 10% discount for any RTOC member

so as of know im going be getting alot more involved with doing the work on my car and learning alot more with it.
    Currently my car is down at automedics due to me removing the turbo to get a bigger turbine wheel machined into my .63 t2 housing to match up with the t28 comp side , also my bloody drivers side wheel bearing give up after around 220-230 miles so mike sent me a new one up for half price (top fella).
    I will receive the turbo back this coming week so that will be fitted along with the wheel bearing and given its 1st proper test at the weekend as im off to the rsoc national day at donington park might find a few rs to have a play with

Its then off to the PFC RTOC Dyno day @ WGT next month that iv organised to see what it makes which im really looking forward to. after that its a case of enjoying the car before the winter sets in, once its December my car is coming off the road and staying inside at automedics so we can do a full strip down of the car fit a new bonnet and drivers door then sort all the bodywork out also going for a full polybush set to replace the standard bushes and want a new pair of rear shocks (possibly koni)
    Engine wise were going to take the head off and fit a set of group a valves from prima racing and an external wastegate plus water injection. we are going to inspect the bottom end to see how the liners,pistons and rings look if they look a bit tired then they will be replaced also.

hoping to get the car on track and on the 1/4 mile scene as much as poss next year and ill also obviously be organising more dyno days and want try get us a club stand at the cholmondeley pageant of power

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well after a few delays we finally fitted my new turbo on friday, and my god what a difference its made, the car was quick before but now its in a total different league it actually took me by surprise on how quick it was eg spinning the wheels in 3rd in the dry . Only gained around 200rpm lag which i am impressed with seeing as iv gone from a t2 turbine in the .63 t2 housing up to a t28 turbine and shaft.
    so its now all systems go for next months dyno day at wgt cant wait to see how it goes

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

bloody hell guys i can believe how insane the car is now, it was a real quick car before but with this new turbo set up its a complete animal and you have to keep your eyes on the road all the time as there isnt time to look at any gauges lol

going to be really interesting at wgt next month as justin who built grants old 236bhp r5gtt reckons mine is slightly quicker with 5psi less boost, best thing is we can up the boost a few more psi as fuelling seems to be rather safe atm

Post Thanks / Like

bloody hell guys i can believe how insane the car is now, it was a real quick car before but with this new turbo set up its a complete animal and you have to keep your eyes on the road all the time as there isnt time to look at any gauges lol

going to be really interesting at wgt next month as justin who built grants old 236bhp r5gtt reckons mine is slightly quicker with 5psi less boost, best thing is we can up the boost a few more psi as fuelling seems to be rather safe atm
    Welcome to the world of uncontrolable 5's!

They do have abit of a punch when wound right up, always said you'd be better off with the T25 wheel in the back

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

mark its not got the t25 in the back mate it has a pulsar t28 one

absolute insane set up love it

Post Thanks / Like

sounds awesome ..... So whats the spec of the pulsar t28's then? has yours been rebuilt to suit the 5 more?

I have seen a few turbo's on ebay from pulsars but the sellers rarely list the a/r numbers

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

right matey the full spec of my turbo is as follows

cosworth t3 comp housing
    pulsar t28 comp wheel
    .63 t2 exhaust housing
    pulsar t28 shaft and turbine machined into t2 housing

its an hybrid iv had made up and my god its an animal

you certainly dont wanna be chucking a pulsar turbo on there thats for sure iirc they have .86 ex housing and .60 comp housing they also have bigger trim wheels than an 200sx t28 turbo
    Last edited by BluntyR5GTT; 26-09-2011 at 17:07.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

having a pig of a time with my car atm seems like it doesnt like going anywhere anymore lol,
    fitted a new hub and bearing yesterday morning went out for a little blast up the d road and then back to pick my mrs up to go out for the day.
    Needless to say we got 5 mins up the road from mine then a big snap/bang noise and clutch pedal went to the floor , so bonnet up and checked the cable which was still in place then i looks in the drivers side footwell and a piece of the adjuster was on the floor cleanly snapped (this thing was bought new and has covered around 300-350 miles).
    So i managed to drive the car home without a clutch and am now awaiting a replacement adjuster was really gutted yesterday and for the first time said i was prepared to sort it and sell it after the dyno day this month and i actually still feel the same way this morning

Post Thanks / Like

That's a shame mate, give me a heads up if you do those

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

not a problem fella, am hoping i find my enthusiasm for the car again but seriously its all gone

Post Thanks / Like

Fix it, play, just been out my phase 1 and smiling.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thats what iv been doing fixing summat getting bout 10 miles n summat else goes, was so gutted on saturday as had a nice drive out planned for me n the mrs, we ended up 5 mins from my house was just glad i managed get it back home.

will be fitting the replacemant part once i receive it from the legend that is mike (gt turbo spares). Then am praying it just behaves itself for the next few weeks.
    Last edited by BluntyR5GTT; 03-10-2011 at 15:42.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep the faith Blunty.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i worship at the alter of the pocket rocket

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenobi View Post