Post Thanks / Like

Whining noise around the turbo

http://www.youtube.com/user/BriC175?.../2/4TmMf_j-jp4

As can be heard in this video, there is a whining sound in the background which is coming from the turbo area. The car boosts well, and pulls like it should, and doesn't smoke at all, which would say the turbo is in good working order, but it definitely seems to be coming from the intake area.

When you take the air filter off and put your hand over the intake, the noise seems to go away too.

Any ideas? Is it something to do with my air filter? I've had the same filter fitted to one of my old GT Turbo's in the same place (I know, it's not a great place. I need to re-direct it really) in the past, but it didn't make this noise..

All help appreciated. Cheers

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whining noise around the turbo

my old 5 did it and still does.. never had an issue and its runs great, still a nasty sound that would be nice to get rid off..

its not the filter, breather circuit perhaps

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh.. It doesn't seem to affect anything, but it's just annoying more than anything! Anyone else got any clues?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the restrictor is missing in the breather pipe to the inlet or the pipe has split.

Post Thanks / Like

Where can I locate the restrictor to check this? I presume it is one of the two hoses that go into the back of the inlet mani?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

well try a different air filter see if it goes away also try sticking a bolt in where the breather off the back of the turbo (metal pipe) goes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriC View Post
    Where can I locate the restrictor to check this? I presume it is one of the two hoses that go into the back of the inlet mani?

Cheers
    The restrictor needs to be in the breather pipe that comes from inlet manifold to the t-piece near rocker cover. Fit it in the hose near the t-piece, dustcap for a car valve with a small hole in the middle will do if you dont have an original.

For a quick test nip the pipe by hand when engine is running, the noise should go The airfilter wont make any difference to noise on idle...

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    The restrictor needs to be in the breather pipe that comes from inlet manifold to the t-piece near rocker cover. Fit it in the hose near the t-piece, dustcap for a car valve with a small hole in the middle will do if you dont have an original.

For a quick test nip the pipe by hand when engine is running, the noise should go The airfilter wont make any difference to noise on idle...
    i'll have a look at this, i was sure mine wasn't removed but then again, i honestly dont know what day it is

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Issue now fixed! Thanks a lot Brigsy, you were spot on!