Post Thanks / Like

Career Advise......

Right, I'm currently a contract manager in a fit out / refurbishment company, i kinda like my job and it pays well but i set a goal to own my own company or be high flying in a position by the time i was 30, i'm currently 28.

Work is currently a ball ache, I'm working 12 hour days, get loads of stress and **** from ungrateful clients and the whole industry is on its arse and going nowhere quickly, i dont see my self moving up in the company (director or department head for 10+ years).

further, I have no idea or would take the risk currently to set up my own company given the current climate.

To the point - I've always wanted to be a pilot, I have the attributes to do the job and have been offered interviews to be put on a ATPL (Air Transport Pilot License) but will cost about £80k of my own money to train. I don't have that kinda money and it would mean taking out a massive loan against our house (as would be done to set up a business)

At the end i might not get a job, but have friends in the industry and always have my current career to fall back on.

What are peoples opinions? I'm currently in the "your only here once ****ing do it" and i have full support from my wife, however i'm terrified.

Oh.................and the 5 will never be sold it might just be scorn for a few years

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Career Advise......

Quote Originally Posted by J8TRO View Post
    i have full support from my wife
    surely thats the hardest person to convince??
    i would say go for it if as its something that cant be taken away once you have it ........

Post Thanks / Like

Good point, and your right it cant be taken away. Only thing is the £80k wont be paid back quickly + i wont be working for 14 months whilst doing all the training and still have a mortgage to pay and need to live

I always knew I'd be in a position when i had to make a massive decision.............think this might be it. You don't win unless you go for it right?

Post Thanks / Like

What are the odds of success if you went ahead with it? my only reservation would be what could happen if it went tits up, fair enough the wife is game but an 80k loan with nothing to show for it would surely put a strain on any relationship?

Sorry not trying to be all doom and gloom just thinking worst case scenario.

Post Thanks / Like

No, Its appreciated.

My friend flies for BA, he completed training 5+ years ago and was slightly younger than at the time than i am now. The only people from his original training who are now not flying for a large organisation are the ones who failed the training or dropped out. He also advised they were either loosers or rich kids who had no respect.

I'm thinking, if i'm putting everything i have on the line, including my wifes future, i'm going to be committed. I don't think its beyond me but it will be hard work.

If i go to OAA or CTC their pass rates are 98% it just the getting the job at the end that could be tricky.

Post Thanks / Like

dude, when i was younger i always wanted to be a pilot (im sure many did) but i was quite serious about it, speant half my life watching air shows and doing pretty much anything aircraft related..air cadets/model planes/museums etc

after school i went into a bit of a party head, and then into cars, and i 4got my dream, ended up in the building industry , but on the office side/building standards side of things..

Similar to you, the moneys ok, but the industry is on its arse, no chance of any real promotions any time soon, if i was offered an opportunity as you have to risk everything for a dream id do it. If its your dream/passion you will make it work, just dont keep putting it off, and best of luck

just to add im only 22, but already feel like im pretty much stuck where i am for the time being

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to Halfpenny Green tomorrow (local airport) see if I can blag a ride in someones lesson for more experience and advise.

My wife bought me a lesson a year ago which was great, just didn't look into it at the time as I should have.

There is an open day at OAA on the 16th of Oct which i'll go to and make a firm decision then, once i have some further financial advise. If its gonna happen it needs to be sorted for the new year. Also need to have a full A1 medical check which costs £400! guess its a drop in the ocean in comparison!

Post Thanks / Like

Any cheap flights for RTOC members if you get the job

Seriously good luck if you go for it... my mate's mate is around 40 and earns enough to live on now just flying to China a couple of times a year. Spends the rest of his life on holidays and snowboarding, sounds pretty awesome to me!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what you're saying and what Dj say's about if you have the opportunity for a dream take it, it's just dreams can turn sour. You mention you won't be working during the 14 month training period and you have a mortgage etc do you have savings to cover that or would that be covered by the 80k? or you just gonna send the misses out

All that said though if no one ever pursued there dreams/aspirations or whatever then we'd all be stuck in a rut doing the same old thing which some people are happy with and there's nothing wrong with that each to their own.

I'm 28 was a wood machinist for just over 5 years, then joined the Royal Navy which I have served in for over 5.5 years and in another 2 I intend to leave then emigrate to Australia and join their Navy. However I'm single no dependencies etc so somewhat easier for me to take the plunge.

Post Thanks / Like

Im of a similar age to yourself and there are things that I turned down to do as a youngster which I will regret for the rest of my life, my advice go for it, if you dont try you will never know. I know its a cheesey saying but '' get rich or die trying''

Post Thanks / Like

start your own business up mate...i did with 3k and when thats off the ground 80k wont seem so much then....im sure with all your contacts you would do well...start small and build it up i got a million and one contacts i could put you in touch with

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

James I'd say go for it, if this is your dream and you feel so strongley about it then why not, other wise in years to come your gonna look back on this and regret it thinking what if missed oppurtunity and all. Atleast then you can look back and say well ye I tried and did it.

O and ill look after the five if you want mate I dont mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I've done so much research this weekend my head hurts..........

I'll keep you updated

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't the airlines have scholarship style programmes? I am pretty sure BA did once upon a time..?

I say go for it. 100%. Training and education = win. If you feel like you are going to get railroaded or stuck in your job, you probably are.

Post Thanks / Like

A wife and a house at 28?...U must be doing something right mate!

A friend a few years back decided he wanted a complete career-change and become a pilot.

Cost him the best part of 60k with the Oxford Aviation School and he also went out to Arizona for flying time but hes now a 1st Officer with a European national airline and from the last i heard of him he loves it.

I work in Heathrow Airport myself and thought about looking in to being a pilot but being the lowest of working class + s@*te eyesight + too many fillings (have been told they even check them as the mercury expands with repeated altitude changes ) = i'd never be a pilot!

Post Thanks / Like

Sound like a pretty big gamble to me, if there was a job at the end of it, i would say go for it.

Have you got much equity in your house? Could you not just sell up and rent somewhere small for a few years or buy a cheaper house.

We all have bad times at work, but the grass is not always greener.

I have come to terms with that after 8 years off running a business. I'm always thinking i would love to work for someone again, holidays, sick pay etc. I really hate my job most of the time but it pays the bills and has given me a nice quality of life so i can enjoy my home life and other activity's.

Like someone said, you sound like you have done well so far, I'm sure you have your head screwed on and will make the right decision .

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

It's a gamble yes, but good things come to those willing to take a chance.

I've always almost "wished" I experienced a life-changing decision like this, something to really make me consider my future. I have a friend who was lucky enough to be able to pay for his training via a rich grandparent, he now lives the life of Riley!

If you feel that you can find away between you both to be able to live without too much of a struggle, most definitely take that leap of faith!

Post Thanks / Like

Running a buisness has its pros but also its cons, having a buisness is more a way of life, you never really finish work, im forever coming home answering phone calls searching for parts/information, sorting accounts, payroll. Then theres trying to keep the money flowing correctly, everyone seems to pay cheque when you've paid cash for everything. But its also nice to have something to be proud of, something you've made and built up yourself. Depending on the business it can be dificult to make more than just a good wage.

good luck with whatever you choose tho

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Test the water dude!! See how likely a job is at the end, contact airlines and pilot supplier companies. I agree its a big investment but like you say you only live once. Im now working for the department for transport having escaped from the motor trade thinking it would be stable! 12 months on and the government is skint and job is uncertain!! I was offered an apprenticeship with prodrive subaru when i was 17 but didnt accept and went into plant and ag mechanics, where would i be now?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I've booked in my A1 medical at Gatwick on the 8th. No point going to far if they find I have something that would prevent me going all the way.

The moving out thing is a big possibility, house has about £100k equity which would pay for training twice over if i go the modular route. Only thing is my wife likes our Kitchen
    Modular training is looking likely purely due to the whole cost thing. OAA and the like make it so appealing to do integrated but they charge for it and i'm warned not to get sucked in by the glossy advertising and whiter than white smiles. If you have your head screwed on there are much better ways of doing it, you just have to organise it your self rather than pay someone else to do it for you.

There are a lot of pro's and con's just a case of weighing them up. I'm currently at this one........

I train, I fly, I don't get a job, I've spent £50k which I wont get back, I can say I did it, I wont ever think what if, I still have my current career to go back to.

Flip..................................

I train, I fly, I make it?

Only thing that scared the **** out of me earlier was sparkies post on another topic. I hope it wasn't a sign but it was the top post when i opened up "live"

Post Thanks / Like

Kitchen i love it women.

Sounds a good plan, do the tests first, checking to see if there are jobs out there also seems a good idea.

If its going to cost you half your equity, not really a big gamble, i know its a lot of money, but its not everything you have. There are always cheaper houses, worst case and another nice kitchen would cost you 10-15k so not the end of the world.

Let us know how the tests go

phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    another nice kitchen would cost you 10-15k so not the end of the world
    Not when your in interior fit out..............I'll keep her sweet yet

Post Thanks / Like

First step done, I was at Gatwick on Friday at 7:30am for my medical. All went OK and I've been given permission to fly commercial planes...........

Now i've just got to learn how! I'll keep you updated

Post Thanks / Like

First step done, I was at Gatwick on Friday at 7:30am for my medical. All went OK and I've been given permission to fly commercial planes...........

nice one

whats involved in the medical for it?

Post Thanks / Like

Eye examination / sight
    Heart ECG
    Blood tests
    General medical (blood pressure, reflexes etc)
    Lung Capacity
    Hearing test
    Peripheral vision

Then they check medical history and you have to provide any information on family history of illnesses etc.

Post Thanks / Like

all good then just need to get a licence to fly good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one

Post Thanks / Like

bringing up an old thread here, but is joing the raf to get your wings not an option.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not interested in the RAF, if i was younger yes, plus spoke to a guy who is leaving the RAF now and is having to still spend a lot of his own money to get the right type rating and hour building on the type of aircraft used in commercial flight compared to what they fly in the RAF.

Crazy thing is, he's flown the biggest plane in the RAF fleet for years and is more than qualified to do commercial. However he doesnt have the right pieces of paper! crazy!

Update for myself is i'm taking my skills test in early January for Oxford Aviation. The house is on the market only thing is, work is looking very shady at the minute and if the company i work for goes under, its not at the right time! ill update shortly

Post Thanks / Like

Thats fair enough, the reason i ask is im currently looking at a major major career change whilst the times right and i keep looking at the raf, i may speak to you more on the subject as you seem to have researched it lots.

From my understanding to pilot aircraft within the raf you first have to become an officier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    Thats fair enough, the reason i ask is im currently looking at a major major career change whilst the times right and i keep looking at the raf, i may speak to you more on the subject as you seem to have researched it lots.

From my understanding to pilot aircraft within the raf you first have to become an officier.
    I got into the RAF in 2001 as an Officer for intelligence support. All you needed was to pass the entry exam at level B or above and have at least 3 A Levels. I thought about trying to be a pilot but the reality is that out of 100 applicants to be a pilot only 2 ever get their arse in a seat.

I never turned up in the end as I realised that I could not commit myself to them for 9 years which is what I would of had to sign up for. They were less than impressed to say the least! You sign the contract on your first day at arrivials, I never made it that far.

Post Thanks / Like

unforuntuatnly i only ever did the equiv to 2 alevels as i dropped I.t as it just seemed pointlesss..

Post Thanks / Like

unforuntuatnly i only ever did the equiv to 2 alevels as i dropped I.t as it just seemed pointlesss..
    Well there is the option to study while you are there so dont give up, its still on option.

I sometimes wish that I did turn up in 2001, Instead I chose a career in Civil Engineering! So at the age of 30 I have not really seen the world which I would have in the RAF.

Post Thanks / Like

funny you say that.. i work in a position civil engineering would get you into, however it bores me, im fedup of spending hours on the phones to architects talking about the appearances of there pitched to flat roof junctions and lead work surrouding it.. !

Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently on me notice! So if anyone knows of any jobs going, please let me know!!

Post Thanks / Like

funny you say that.. i work in a position civil engineering would get you into, however it bores me, im fedup of spending hours on the phones to architects talking about the appearances of there pitched to flat roof junctions and lead work surrouding it.. !
    Lucky for me I dont have to get bored with that sort of thing. Im on the railways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    I'm currently on me notice! So if anyone knows of any jobs going, please let me know!!
    Matt, I fear I may be joining you! if only it was 3 or 4 months time and the house was sold, i'd be laughing.

Hopefully you'll be kept if your only on notice.

Post Thanks / Like

i may speak to you more on the subject as you seem to have researched it lots.
    No worries, i don't know much about the RAF side but can advise my findings on flight training etc

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, I fear I may be joining you! if only it was 3 or 4 months time and the house was sold, i'd be laughing.

Hopefully you'll be kept if your only on notice.
    Yeah, i'ts the building industry i'm in as an M&E services engineer. Its shocking at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

M&E forms the bulk value in our work, I'm in interior fit out and it's on its bloody arse.

We're winning work, but its not worth it, -5% bids and our overheads are 12%.

might as well sit at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Well...........its funny how things challenge you.

I had it all planned out, I needed a few more months and hopefully my house to sell, but as predicted in my above post I'm sat at work waiting for the news the company is folding and I no longer have a job.

Merry Bloody Christmas

On the bright side, I'm going to the German market in Brum tomorrow to get smashed, and although I'll miss the friends I have at work, I really don't give a toss, hence the decision to change career in the first place. It could be a blessing in disguise.

It will set me back, but I wont be stopped.

Anyone got any jobs

Post Thanks / Like

really sorry to hear that dude, quite a few area sales manager jobs and similar coem up here quite often (www.marleyeternit.co.uk)

Ive looked further into flying, going to speak to these about going for my ppl, i did a hour there a year or so back and it seemed quite a nice place but will speak to them about costs etc and see what to expect (http://www.derbyaeroclub.com/)

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you on the PPL mate, just note that if you want to go all the way to commercial flying and you go Integrated, your PPL will be a waste of money and some places wont accept you because you have it. You would have to go the modular route.

No bad thing as its cheaper, but it normally takes longer and can be tough going on the theory side as its just you and the books.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hear that mate, chin up

Post Thanks / Like

ahh yes definatly a point to consider there, appreciate you for pointing that one out, and now you mention it i do actually remmber reading that somehwere , possibly on that forum you sent me.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

There's always the PMT route.. then paint it brown and tap up UPS to see if you can help 'em out I have a relative who pilots for BA he enjoys it but you do funny hours and you have to bid for your work.. I feel for you though in this climate I'm in IT within the NHS and I'm sure one day we'll be farmed out

Post Thanks / Like

At this rate I might end up crop spraying!

My best mate is a FO for BA, it's crappy when your new in as you get all the weekend and late hour shifts, but once your worked up the list, you have priority on shifts over everyone below. You can get it to work well, he's been in 5 years and never works weekends. Averages 15 days a month.

Key is to get in as there is a massive influx of new pilots, get in and go straight up the list. Easy to say though........