Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

**Blue Smoke** on idle/when cold help!

Hope somebody can help! I have looked through some similar threads, but putting it out there to see if somebody can help. I have recently bought an uprate GT Turbo Phase two, it has had a recent rebuild, uprated turbo etc the usual, running 180ish bhp, it was running sweet did 250mile run in it from london to the south west and didnt miss a beat. Then i started playing with the bleed valve (BAD NEWS!) and now it smokes from cold (sometimes quite bad) but seems to only be on idle when you pull away it generally clears. It also does it when you back off and leave the car in gear, then you pull up at the lights it puffs away a little, but clears when hot and sometimes it doesnt do it at all? obviously this problem is self inflicted! And i have turned the bleed valve right in to where it was. I am thinking valve stem oil seals, was going to compression test to rule out rings etc, but it runs spot on just a little unsure and thought i would see if anyone can help?any advice would be greatly appreciated :-) thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: **Blue Smoke** on idle/when cold help!

valve stem seals would generally be on start up only. most prob turbo oil seals on their way out. take the exhaust elbow off and check for oil in there and in the boost pipe from the turbo.

Post Thanks / Like

Imo that sounds like turbo oil seals on the way out mate, check for play in the turbo shaft.

I dont even run valve stem oil seals & dont have any smoke problems.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks guys ill do as suggested and check the turbo and surrounding pipes for oil, ill update once i have done this, cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Imo that sounds like turbo oil seals on the way out mate, check for play in the turbo shaft.

I dont even run valve stem oil seals & dont have any smoke problems.
    whats the benefits on running without stem seals? do you use more oil?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    whats the benefits on running without stem seals? do you use more oil?
    I had a thread about these

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=16998

I think the benefit was that by not using seals there would be no risk of them possibly coming loose and causing damage.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldnt see any obvious damage to pipes etc, so probable signs of turbo seals on the way out?I noticed that the oil swirl pot had popped off, presumably too much boost? Reattached and secured better and hasnt smoked since but maybe this is wishful thinking, would this cause it to smoke with it off?cheers