Post Thanks / Like

Golf TDi vs Focus TDCi

As most of you know, Whitey's gone off to pastures new now in favour of me sourcing a diesel run-around/motorway cruiser.

I was pretty set on getting a Golf TDi (pd 130 engine), but the 2L (136hp) TDCi Focus has also caught my eye, especially in Ghia or Titanium spec' (if money allows).

I've never owned either cars before, and the only experience of VW & Ford diesels that I have is from an 02 plate Passat (company car back in the day), and a drive or 3 of a couple of the company's Mondeo's in recent times.

So to get to the point has anyone owned/have experience of said cars, and care to share their opinions of them please. From a daily use point of view, motorway comfort, creature comforts in general, mpg, handling, etc etc.

Please don't turn this into a 'Have you thought of 'X' instead' thread, as it's taken long enough for me to narrow it down to either an oil-burning Golf or Focus!

Cheers.

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Golf TDi vs Focus TDCi

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    As most of you know, Whitey's gone off to pastures new now in favour of me sourcing a diesel run-around/motorway cruiser.

I was pretty set on getting a Golf TDi (pd 130 engine), but the 2L (136hp) TDCi Focus has also caught my eye, especially in Ghia or Titanium spec' (if money allows).

I've never owned either cars before, and the only experience of VW & Ford diesels that I have is from an 02 plate Passat (company car back in the day), and a drive or 3 of a couple of the company's Mondeo's in recent times.

So to get to the point has anyone owned/have experience of said cars, and care to share their opinions of them please. From a daily use point of view, motorway comfort, creature comforts in general, mpg, handling, etc etc.

Please don't turn this into a 'Have you thought of 'X' instead' thread, as it's taken long enough for me to narrow it down to either an oil-burning Golf or Focus!

Cheers.

Fella, VW FTW. As you know i love my PD150 MkIV, 60+mpg on a run at 70, recaro seats, Dennon sound system is awesome and plenty of poke for daily use. And, it is indestructable

Post Thanks / Like

i have a 2.0 tdci 130 and i love it, keep it at 60 mph and it runs on next to no fuel. i have no factory fitted mpg reader but i rekon 50-60 mpg. no majour mechanical faults with them as far as i know.

Scotland Regional Rep youngscottie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Had my 03 plate gt tdi 130 for 3 years bought it with 60000 on the clock
    Now done 13600 and apart from regular serviceing it's been faultless
    Great motorway cruiser fairly quick out the box
    And well specked
    Wouldn't consider anything else
    But I love vw golfs( had and still got quite a few)

Post Thanks / Like

Al', is yours an Anniversary spec, or did you sniff out the Recaro seats?

Alan, is there anything to be wary of with the Golf? I've heard/read a few stories about cams failing (more so on the 150 engine though), the egr gubbins getting caked up & harming performance, and the correct grade/type oil MUST be used.

Nothing too major there, but nice to have some extra knowledge before taking the plunge.

Don't suppose you know of any sound 3dr 130hp mk4's for sale per chance?

Post Thanks / Like

me mum had a golf tdi 150,very nice car,pulled smooth an the fuel gauge didnt move.

Post Thanks / Like

most egr's on diesels get bunged up.
    we had a tdci mondingo as a pool car at gsf, went really well, although the injectors can lose their codings.

id personally go for the golf.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a golf anni, and love the car owned it for 5yrs, best car iv ever owned.

Post Thanks / Like

Alan, is there anything to be wary of with the Golf? I've heard/read a few stories about cams failing (more so on the 150 engine though), the egr gubbins getting caked up & harming performance, and the correct grade/type oil MUST be used.

Nothing too major there, but nice to have some extra knowledge before taking the plunge.

Mart, cams can wear (particularly on the 150s) due to cheap oil. The PD oil is expensive and very specific - definitely check this when buying, see what they top it up with!

A useful site below, also note that clutches are dual mass flywheels (should change both at the same time) and expensive to replace ~£350 in parts, but last for a very long time so not to worry too much, just listen out for clunking at idle.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=161224.0

Also the EGRs clogging up is another minor issue, just a few hours work to clean them out and restore performance. This is not a specific VW issue, but they are slightly more prone to it.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...TDI-carbon.htm

Hope this helps! Oh and the 150s have a bigger inlet plenum, intercooler and a few other bits if you are planning to chip yours - they are worth the extra £ IMO, particularly with re-sale at a later date.

Good luck finding a good one, also worth checking that it hasn't been clocked, almost every 150 i went to see had been... i rang VW and checked their service history - my local dealer was very helpful, also - they match service costs with my local garage, but you get OE parts and a dealer service!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Alastair, good info & links. Cheers mate

Think I'll stick with plan A & go with the Golf.

I prefer the 130 interior trim (as opposed to the 150 wood finish), plus it's a bit cheaper on the insurance, and given there's not much in it when either has been reflashed, I'll probably stick with the 'lesser' model.

The Anniversary models look nice, but they're going for silly money, and I don't see that's justifiable for just a different front/rear valance, a set of Recaro seats, and weighty 18" BBS alloys. Saying that, if one came along at the right price...

Post Thanks / Like

another bonus is that with a hookey copy of vagcom and you can do pretty much anything to the car....

Post Thanks / Like

Now then mate, vag-com, talk to me...

Post Thanks / Like

Things really do change...

Mart, my cousin had a 150 golf, had no real problems apart from the clutch/flywheel breaking up. Was quite pricey...

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Things really do change...

Mart, my cousin had a 150 golf, had no real problems apart from the clutch/flywheel breaking up. Was quite pricey...
    Tricky about time you got back on here, have gave you a few weeks full membership, if you click on the red banner you can rejoin for a year for just £10

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    another bonus is that with a hookey copy of vagcom and you can do pretty much anything to the car....
    Fancy re-mapping my PD150 for a few more ponies? If the price is right your on! I have left mine standard for too long! Drop me a PM with your thoughts mate

Post Thanks / Like

vagcom doesnt remap.... it recodes ecu's to the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    vagcom doesnt remap.... it recodes ecu's to the car.

OK, i get carbs, i get maps, but re-coding - you've lost me! Give us a clue?

Post Thanks / Like

if u fancy looking at getting one through the auction try bca website if theres owt u fancy and can get over for a look i am a gold account holder so do go paying top indemnity m8 just give me a shout

Post Thanks / Like

Having driven the Focus TDCi for the week for a road trip in wales...the car drives considerably well.. holds the road really well and the little umpf from the turbo is pretty good for getting you out of the corners.

Comfort: Pretty comfortable ride on the motorway with awesome mpg.

Reliability: Can't really comment but had no problems at all all week.

Only problem for me is that every ****er has one...

Post Thanks / Like

Now then mate, vag-com, talk to me...

grier's your man!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Jaff, top offer there fella May well take you up on that.

Defo going with the Golf pd130 option - I'm away for a few days now, but I'll be on the sniff for one come the weekend.

Thanks for the replies & advice chaps. Appreciated.

Scotland Regional Rep youngscottie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

mart the gt tdi,s come with buckets standard although minus the recaro badges
    (same seats as my old gti)

ive had no problems with the engine whatsoever
    but i make sure the oil vw505.01 pd oil is used
    the oil needent be expensive as long as its 505.01 compatable
    halfords own oil is about £45 cheaper at a factors(every 10000miles)

i wanted a black anniversary but last years wedding ate up my budget

goodluck and happy motoring

Post Thanks / Like

Common fault with the ford is turbo bearings collapsing. The vw is far better car, just make sure you get one with the metal bladed water pump already done. Also the oil pick-up sits low in the sump,so oil changes are important because of blockage. I,ve now the tdci is common for egr but not had one yet on a vw!!!
    Hope this helps mart.