Post Thanks / Like

Project

First post!

Hi guys I'm new to this site wondering if anyone can help

I have owned my r5 Gt for just over a year now and have ran into a bit of a problem my head gasket is away for the second time in under 7 months. At first the car had standard T2 unit not sure what pressure it was set at but anyway had a Forge double capasity intercoller fitted then 3 weeks later it poped the gasket not sure if it was due to the change in pressure with the intercoller or the mixture in carborator. So got that sorted with a group A updated gasket with a fancy updated head bolt kit. Around 4 months later I notised a puff of White smoke out the exaust whilst boosting which I was told is the oil seal in the turbo. I decided to upgrade the T2 to a T25 tuning at 70KPA through a blitz 4 stage boost controller which I am led to beleve is around 10PSI? 2 weeks ago I blew my gasket again but I notticed that a water hose around 20mm? had poped off underneath the rear of the carborator am not sure if this is the main reason why it has blew the gasket again??

I am now wanting to get the car back to concourse condition as when I bought it also would anyone have any idea on upgrading the engine a bit more both power and most important strenght as I don't want to keep replacing gaskets

thanks in advance
    Craig

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project

If you've lost the water then that's probably the cause. I would first check all your water hoses and then get a boost gauge to see exactly what boost you are running.

Also did you have the head skimmed and block checked for any imperfections/unevenness?

Stick with it though it will be worth it when it's running right

Post Thanks / Like

Reading through it mate with all the upgrades you've had have you had the carb rejetted at all or the fueling checked? This is key to prevent any further problems.

The water leak is more than likely reason for second head hasget failure, loosing all water will heat the engine up and poss warp the head.

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hey guys thanks for the replys

Answers to your questions are yes i had the head skimed it only needed 0.1mm and also have a group A carb fitted aswell so that it could take the pressure up that end of things was told that for an example say you are running 15PSI at turbo 15PSI will enter the carborator but say only 10PSI will exit the carb into engine ? has any one had the same problem as myself with that hose popping off ? I dont know if it is a common problem or if its down to being fitted wrongly ? also how much should i be able to run pressure wise through the turbo safely ?

i have big plans for this car i would like to strip it right down to bare meatal and start again as i have just acuired storrage for car and purchesed a cheap run around anyone have any ideas for further modifications for strenght of the engine aswell as power output i was thinking down the line of racing pistons liners that sort of thing

Thanks again

Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Hi craig you've done well joining this club. You need to read some guides to gather the basics of what your carb is doing.
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4734

Have a read of these of some more guides so you can get some understanding of whats going on a bit better, then post away with your questions. They are a knowledgeable lot on here.
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Post Thanks / Like

With regards your hose popping off, it may well be that the head-gasket had already gone, pressurizing your water system, causing your hose to pop off under the pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers mate just away to have a look at the links

does anyone know how i can get in touch with the secretary guy reason being i cant get acess to many parts of the fourm kepps popping up saying am not a full member which i am i have paid membership got the free tax disc etc

Post Thanks / Like

Before uprating anything, all the basics should be covered. Firstly ensure that your head is ok, flat, and a good thickness preferably more than 73.5mm (ensures your compression ratio isnt too high, which can cause detonation which wouldnt be nice)
    Once back together torqued down properely, i take my (high tensile bolts) to 75nm
    Then ensure your cooling system is working correctly, water pumping round the whole system, heater matrix blowing hot air and rad hot from top to bottom( rad being hot ensures thermostat is opening) Make sure there are no leaks with the cap on. And that coolant is flowing through the top hose in to your expansion bottle. And make sure your rad fan comes in around the second from top line.

Group a carbs arent really the way to fuel best. Try to keep boost down for awhile and either get the car set up at a rolling road or better still a local knowledgeable member?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I was thinking about getting a stage 3 uprated head anyone have one and is it worth it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigy5gt View Post

Ok I was thinking about getting a stage 3 uprated head anyone have one and is it worth it?
    dont waste your money mate....standard heads are fine

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No.... short an sweet answer...

anything that says stage X, Grp X is not worth buying 99% off the time...

Post Thanks / Like

you would be wiser spending your money on a wideband kit to get your fueling bang on that in my experience is one of the most important things

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so what is a wideband kit like I take it that it is just to sort out the fuel mixture? Whare could I get my hands on the kit preferibly with a bit of club discount if possible and is it worth uprating the pistons and liners that sort of thing?

Post Thanks / Like

standard piston and liners are ok up 200 bhp (ish)

and look here http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/index.php?categoryID=87

chris (scoff) is on this site and will sort you out a bit of discount im sure

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=6

Post Thanks / Like

a wideband kit will tell you your fueling throughout you driving range (bosst revs etc) so you can see if your running too rich or lean at high or low boost

its the main thing that will take your head gasket or pistons etc if you have problems

Post Thanks / Like

also have a group A carb fitted aswell so that it could take the pressure up that end
    Get rid of that carb, itsnot doing your engine any favours, refit the standard carb and have it rejetted correctly for the boost you are running. You notice it'll work alot better.

Post Thanks / Like

Bit confused hear isint a group a carb basicaly the same as standard rejetted carb I thought that the pourpose of a group a carb was that it has bigger jets?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it normally just has a big main jet, which means you end up running rich on part throttle and on boost you end up running lean, causing gasket problems.As Mark says, standard carb on with bigger jets on the enrichment circuit and you will be laughing.

Post Thanks / Like

As Trix said, also most of the 'grp A' carbs come with larger venturi's which for me i don't see the need.

A standard venturi carb with standard main jet (1.2) will still fuel correctly if the enrichment side and ac jet are set up nicely.