Post Thanks / Like

brake hose removal

trying to remove the front and rear brake lines and replace them for braided lines. But they are all stuck solid I have loosened the hoses at the calliper ends but cant remove the hoses from the copper brake lines Dose anyone have any tricks or tips on how to get these off without rounding/snapping-off the nuts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: brake hose removal

tap the spring clip a few times with a hammer to loosen the rust under the nut .
    and if you can get a decent pair of mole grips on it, tis a winner

Post Thanks / Like

i have been soaking them in magic wd-40 but to no avail have tried hitting it also but still stuck il keep at it and see what happens cheers matey

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

have you got proper brake lines spanners??makes the job alot easyer as they cant slip of like a normal spanner,so you can put ya full force on it plus one on the brake pipe so your leavering then against each other plus plenty of wd40

Post Thanks / Like

na was using mole grips and 11mm spanner will look at some proper spanners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    Hiya mate i think you are local to me??? If you PM me i will give you my mobile number so if you pop round as ive got a few tools to get the job done!!

Post Thanks / Like

cheers matey have got me self a proper spanner but still havnt used it yet i will give you a shout

Post Thanks / Like

Ok no problem!!!
    Good luck with it!!! if you need any help give us a shout

Post Thanks / Like

cheers matey have got me self a proper spanner but still havnt used it yet i will give you a shout
    Whats this spanner look like then??

Post Thanks / Like

its a C spanner or a pipe spanner, ive got some snap-on ones

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
    its a C spanner or a pipe spanner, ive got some snap-on ones
    oo-err snap-on eh! mines just halfords ****e

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    Whats this spanner look like then??
    just looks like a normal spanner but comes round a bit further so cant slip off http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165469

Non-member old skool turbo power's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

u need to use a ring spanner to get the union off to the calliper.you can pick them up from halfords.mine was very very tight in the end had to replace the union and the brake line

Post Thanks / Like

all lines connected to the calliper are off and came of easy its just where the hose connects to the copper pipe were its stuck. How did you manage to use a ring spanner with the brake lines in the way?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

mine are halfords pro,or halfords advance now as there calledand all halfords pro stuff is manufactered by snap on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulsurrey View Post
    mine are halfords pro,or halfords advance now as there calledand all halfords pro stuff is manufactered by snap on
    You sure because it used to be FACOM?

Post Thanks / Like

Are the rear unions 11mm?? Need to change my rear calipers soon and i'll go and buy that spanner!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

my mate works at snap on and just going by what he told me,plus a couple of other people have told me that iv worked with, but of course i cant be 100% sure,either way though halfords pro is still quite good quality,plus comes with life time guarentee,had a problem with my 1/4 rachet took it back and gave me a brand new one no questions asked

Post Thanks / Like

yeah its excellent quality kit regardless of who makes it.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah its excellent quality kit regardless of who makes it.
    there an offer on at the mo aswell upto 50% off and a tenner voucher

Post Thanks / Like

na all joking aside cant nock the halfords stuff is good quality (pro range that is) not bad price n all.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the rear unions 11mm?? Need to change my rear calipers soon and i'll go and buy that spanner!
    havnt got that far yet front still up on axle stands until brakes are sorted

Post Thanks / Like

yeh there 11mm

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=SCHWARTZ;174239]na all joking aside cant nock the halfords stuff is good quality (pro range that is) not bad price n all.[/quote

well when i went into halfords to get my spanner the price said on the ticket was like £14.99i thinkso i just bit the bullet and thought i might as well pay for it as it wud just do the job.as i went to pay for the spanner she then said(thats 50p then please)so i quickley paid for it then straight outta the shopnot bad as i saved £14.49

Post Thanks / Like

well when i went into halfords to get my spanner the price said on the ticket was like £14.99i thinkso i just bit the bullet and thought i might as well pay for it as it wud just do the job.as i went to pay for the spanner she then said(thats 50p then please)so i quickley paid for it then straight outta the shopnot bad as i saved £14.49[/quote]

i always thought that halfords are over priced on pritty much all they sell. but at 50p cant moan at that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by modfather View Post
    well when i went into halfords to get my spanner the price said on the ticket was like £14.99i thinkso i just bit the bullet and thought i might as well pay for it as it wud just do the job.as i went to pay for the spanner she then said(thats 50p then please)so i quickley paid for it then straight outta the shopnot bad as i saved £14.49
    i always thought that halfords are over priced on pritty much all they sell. but at 50p cant moan at that[/QUOTE]

ace what halfords do you go to might have to start going there

Post Thanks / Like

i do pop in there sometimes just to see if they have any bargains to be had.im a bit of a tight git with dosh dont want to pay silly prices for stuff that i could get cheaper if i went elsewhere plus the nearest 1 to me is in exeter and that about 25 mile from me so even if i didnt buy something from there it would still cost me a teener just to look around

Post Thanks / Like

Get some plus gas on the fittings before attempting to undo.

Realistically even with a flared pipe spanner you probably will round them off, if mole grips wont shift them you will need to cut/reflare the pipe or renew the pipes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post

Realistically even with a flared pipe spanner you probably will round them off, if mole grips wont shift them you will need to cut/reflare the pipe or renew the pipes.
    been soaking them in wd-40 as told plus gas is no better. really didnt want to re-flare pipes as i dont have any tools to do so

Post Thanks / Like

been soaking them in wd-40 as told plus gas is no better. really didnt want to re-flare pipes as i dont have any tools to do so

The mole grips have to be very very tight so tight u have to use both hands to clamp the grips into postion,that will should deffo get em off.
    try and find a place on where you get the pipes made up they will be able to fit the unions on as well for you.car spare shops normally do them if not try asking around in any garages on where you can get them made up.the next step is trying to get the union off the master cylinder thats not good fun either and i would advise to use a ring spanner that will crack them off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post

plus gas ftw....i rate it..
    if you got a 5 you gta have some halfords tools in you kit..
    i got a snap on screw driver...got an orange handle,bitchin!!!..

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

a guy i worked with had these lovely little open 360 degree ringspanner wrenches that i could never find.. someone on here found out they were from stridetool and i had a friend over in canada ship me a set after 6 months of searching when she had a chance.. women and tools dont often go hand in hand

anyway, these little bad boys turned up and have been fecking amazing while working on brake lines etc.. http://www.stridetool.com/tools/kwik...wrench_02.html

i find a 12mm nuts rusted away so bang on the 11mm, grips it better than a 12 or mole grips and it runs them off lovely.. did all the lines on my 5 and 106 with them.. can be a bit fiddly as it rachets but if you in a cack space tends to open out and become a coock to get going each time., but better than a normal spenner or mole grips that dont fit in the spaces these little fellas do..

there not a tool for using everyday as they slip over the nuts/bolts which could wear them out and the wrenches, so only when somethings fecked will i use them..

hunt some down, just dont pinch mine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous dave View Post
    a guy i worked with had these lovely little open 360 degree ringspanner wrenches that i could never find.. someone on here found out they were from stridetool and i had a friend over in canada ship me a set after 6 months of searching when she had a chance.. women and tools dont often go hand in hand

anyway, these little bad boys turned up and have been fecking amazing while working on brake lines etc.. http://www.stridetool.com/tools/kwik...wrench_02.html

i find a 12mm nuts rusted away so bang on the 11mm, grips it better than a 12 or mole grips and it runs them off lovely.. did all the lines on my 5 and 106 with them.. can be a bit fiddly as it rachets but if you in a cack space tends to open out and become a coock to get going each time., but better than a normal spenner or mole grips that dont fit in the spaces these little fellas do..

there not a tool for using everyday as they slip over the nuts/bolts which could wear them out and the wrenches, so only when somethings fecked will i use them..

hunt some down, just dont pinch mine
    they look smart i got some of those adjustable spanners that hook round in kinda the same way cant see them doing it tho but mat give em a go. Should have some time on thurs so going to give it another stab then.
    cheers for all the advice chaps