Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My White 5 gt turbo project

fiver if you want them at nat day when you grab the lights
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=20707

Post Thanks / Like

bring them along mate, i'll put them on see what they look like on the car first if thats ok

still going lean to 17's when pedal pressed to wot from cruising at 3000rpms but it soon drops into 12's then 11.5s at 4500rpm onwards to 6k

think i need to increase the 1st stage jet to 1.1mm or tweak the accel pump a little but its set perfect so i dont want to play with it

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like this car, looks very clean and the wheels suit the colour. Well done.

Post Thanks / Like

New this would look the spuds when done...Beautifull fella feel the pride its a beast..

Normally i would say decals..but to be honest with a paint job like that it would be a shame to hide any of it..It jus looks so right without the decals...I love this 5!!
    A credit to all involved..

Post Thanks / Like

Rolling road video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLjcU...layer_embedded

Print outs. 13-14psi carb base, stock timing

Flywheel power and torque 133.6bhp and 166.7ftlb

Wheel power and torque 109.5bhp and 136.6ftlb

Want a bit more power so thinking either up the boost and tweek the sensor or megajolt it and remap it completely

Should be much better and less of a spike of power when i've changed to a better boost controller rather than the bleed valve i had kicking about and used in a rush

Post Thanks / Like

OK well where do i start since the rolling road

Tappets got really noisy, so aroudn 600 miles on the engine thought a reset tappets and fix the poxy rocker cover leaky fibre washers would be good

So stripped it all down started to adjust and then thinks why is the cylinder 2 rocker shaft bolt moving grabed the bolt and it pulled straight without any effort

The threads stripped out completely which i can only think back to when i missed and gear and over rev'd it alot

So i helicoiled and put a new bolt in job done i thought?...... nope turning both cylinder 2 push rods they have a very slightly bend in them

So adjusted it up for now and the engine still idles sweet and drives smooth.

Forward on a few weeks of the car being garaged up not being drive to today..
    The day before i go to modified live at brands hatch....thinking i could get a 20 mins session with the 5

So got to work all good no leaks

Drive home was great, driving it quite quickly on the motorway overtaking and listening to radio 1 loudly... slow down for my slip road

WTF is that noise... sounded like a grrrrrrrrr, so change into 4th and noise gone change back into 5th and grrrrrrrr

Still got drive in 5th so thought maybe the nut had worked loose

Got home jacked it up f1 pit crew styley

Within 10 mins the cover was off and foudn the problem, it soon came clear that I wont be taking the 5 to brands hatch tomorrow or being able to drive through dartford tunnel on the way home

5th gear nut is tight but 5th gear is missing a few teeth look in the cover and found the teeth and some needle rollers from a bearing in there

Also what is this part? as it looks pretty battered

it was loose inside this shaft

Now the count down begins as the car is booked for snetterton track day taster on the 24th of july

So i need to get a gearbox in for that as a temp fix or swap 5th gear over and hope the rest of the box is fine or find a good refurbed box to put in

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

brilliant that bud

Post Thanks / Like

Right busy evening for me

Went over to cambridge to collect my win on ebay and i've scored alot more than i thought

won on ebay
    head
    gearbox
    carb
    loads of interior switchs
    + got given for free
    a set of push rods
    inlet manifold
    exhaust manifold
    water pump + housing
    fuel regulator
    rocker cover
    uprated head bolts which i'll bin as new ones are cheap enough

Manky looking Gearbox

Head + manifolds

Rocker cover + push rods + uprated head bolts

T2 turbo going away to be made into a t25/t2 hybrid = more power :biggrin:

Carb that needs tlc

Stripped the head down to a bare head, valves and springs ready for measuring thickness and straightness then of for a crack test and skimming in the future when money allows

Gearbox stripped down
    Cover is good and 5th gear is fine just need to find out how to swap them in situ as this gearbox is too manky internally to put in the car

Taught the bro how to strip a 5 carb and check jet sizes. its all standard jets so i'll be ultrasonic tanking it to make it uber clean through out and treating it to gasket set

Post Thanks / Like

cool stuff there dude, you heaving to pod on friday ?

Post Thanks / Like

sadly not fella, with the 5 breaking and i dont have the time booked off work either, wish i could of come but going to have to miss this one

Post Thanks / Like

been having a go trying to get these gears off with no pullers that fit at home

Screwdrivers + blow torch and hammer = :mrgreen:

5th gear and everything is off :mrgreen:

Now time to order a curry from the local and then take the one off the car in situ, this could get interesting

Might have the car back for the weekend at this rate 8)
    Shame i didnt book friday off or i could of come to pod with everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Might have an issue
    Doner 5th gear's are different sizes, thickness, design and ratio's, to what i have on the car

The doner is jb3 032 and the one in the car is jb3 014, both have the same diff ratios and gear ratios so they should be the same, yet visually there different gears
    So did a bit of checking and i think someone has swapped mine over before for maybe a campus gearset at some point as thats the only guess i have as to why they are different and the reason behind me finding bits of needle roller in the casing with the gears

After finding what other bits i need to swap to make it work without grinding the casing it was all put back together with loctite

Broken needle roller casing

Broken 5th gear teeth

Broken vs new

5th gear difference between new and old

5th gear teeth design difference

Difference between other gear of 5th between old and new

Back together

Good vs bad end covers

Post Thanks / Like

Might have an issue
    Doner 5th gear's are different sizes, thickness, design and ratio's, to what i have on the car

The doner is jb3 032 and the one in the car is jb3 014, both have the same diff ratios and gear ratios so they should be the same, yet visually there different gears
    So did a bit of checking and i think someone has swapped mine over before for maybe a campus gearset at some point as thats the only guess i have as to why they are different and the reason behind me finding bits of needle roller in the casing with the gears

After finding what other bits i need to swap to make it work without grinding the casing it was all put back together with loctite

Broken needle roller casing

Broken 5th gear teeth

Broken vs new

5th gear difference between new and old

5th gear teeth design difference

Difference between other gear of 5th between old and new

Back together

Good vs bad end covers

Post Thanks / Like

love it m8, can't imagine what it felt like seeing it out of the bodyshop!! i'd love to get on with my resto' but i'm finding it so hard to find time

Post Thanks / Like

i think the bit that you found is the spout for 5th gear lubrication. dont think the 5 has it as standard, its a later box feature. i swapped one on to mine for some extra lube nice to see someone getting stuck in. there fiddly to strip further than 5th.

Post Thanks / Like

i think the bit that you found is the spout for 5th gear lubrication. dont think the 5 has it as standard, its a later box feature. i swapped one on to mine for some extra lube nice to see someone getting stuck in. there fiddly to strip further than 5th.

Post Thanks / Like

both my boxes had thems spouts? strange, the bearing casing did look a bit toasted and going crispy around the edges

checked the ratios and altho the new gears have more teeth they are the same ratio of 0.76

I found a good guide on the stripping so i'll probably make a how to thread soon in english unlike the french version i have found

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

loving your car mate loads of time and effort put into this!

Post Thanks / Like

Right been giving him some tweeking over the week while he's been garaged up after a 2 week daily use mission with no problems

Replaced all the blowns dash button bulbs and dial bulbs now i can see what i'm pressing
    Strut brace is back on
    Fiddled with the carb enrichment pump adjustment
    Carried out the "cup" mod now boost is up to around 16-15psi

Then today the track prepping began for snetterton track day slightly nervous about this.

Took him out today after putting in 200ml of millers extra cool (3.6% mix with renault premix coolant and a bottle of millers octane booster to stop any det that may come with the increased heat from 20 mins of abuise

Coolant temps are now alot more steady than before.
    When giving it some abuise the temp moves up a very little but not half as much as before but the temp comes down alot quicker than before so its doing its job well

Adjusted the brake bias as it was majorly to the rear so i could bed the new pads and disc's in. So now its more to the front.

Changed the oil aswell still using 15w40 mineral oil for now as its working fine and i want to make sure its bedded in 100% as i've only done 950 miles since i built the block, will wait till around 1500 miles before i start using semi synth

Post Thanks / Like

Got some pictures sent to me of yesterday

The car survived so we was happy

also a video where you can see where i slowed to let the mini overtake me @ about 5 minutes in ( mini looked great overtaking and then the R5 overtaking the mini after it overheated @ around 8 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjWn...layer_embedded

Post Thanks / Like

Braided lines, and full polyrace bush kit

Excuse the manky oily subframe its just what is left from the gearbox overhaul.
    Had to shave off a few mm off the wishbone bushes with a grinder to make them fit into the subframe without having to bring out the big hammer.

Wishbone bush was red but after burning out the old bushes it was hard to keep my hands clean

Antiroll bar end bush

Antiroll bar mounting bush

Then the brakes were next as they were pants on track and faded to nothing on the 3rd lap
    So an order was placed...

Brembo discs £23 delivered from next day brakes
    And
    Carbone lorraine rc5+ pads from Ktec, which i will use for track days only and swap over to normal pads for any everyday stuff or driving to static car shows

Pads look so yummy

Baby size brake discs

So with the rear calipers already replaced a while back i felt the need for more shiney bits and since the front calipers are the only ones left on the car which were old, manky and had a slightly sticky piston on the passenger side....

2 new front calipers turned up aswell

Then tonight i have been swapping over the old red dot pads and unknown discs for my new shiney brakes

New stuff fitted

Old brake disc not looking very healthy at all

Now i'm just waiting on some brake hose securing clips from renault as mine will probably fall to bits as soon as i go near them lol and it would look wrong having new hoses and old manky clips.

Then its back to the rear axle in an attempt to raise it up a few mm or so but that will be next week's mission

After begging the boss for time off, i've booked a couple of taster sessions so i can shakedown the car with the new stuff on
    30th August at bedford autodrome on the gt circuit
    8th september will be the return to the great snetterton 300
    If all goes well without any big problems then i'll start doing some full day track days

Post Thanks / Like

Fordy, get some new headlights, and some super tourismos (or Clio 172 ph1's). Will transform the car

Post Thanks / Like

see what you mean now about the headlights, might have to get a set

wheels tho i'm thinking either speedlines or prorace wheels what design is beyond me atm, i want something really light yet functional but something that will look good aswell

Post Thanks / Like

Headlights - you'd be amazed at the difference a new set make, and how cheap it is to do

Wheels - word*

*does anyone say that anymore? Did they ever?

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post

Headlights - you'd be amazed at the difference a new set make, and how cheap it is to do

Wheels - word*

*does anyone say that anymore? Did they ever?
    i've seen cgb selling lights for £30 or there abouts but im not sure if they were valeo? i got quoted £80 each for valeo at my local autofactors

i kept my eyes peeled on ebay and picked a few now for my car and spares, prices being £9.99, £15, £25 and another at £25 they come up so just look out for them, autofactors seem to be out to reem us..

Post Thanks / Like

Time to update again

Its taken a while to get the braided lines on,
    One front copper pipe twisted with the nut as i undid the old pipe so had to make a new copper pipe from the master cylinder to the braided line,
    Then the rears where mega rusted solid lots of release spray and some patience soon showed them who was boss

So had that all done and bled up during the week
    Took the car out for a test spin friday to see how the brakes where and i'm glad i brought these pads once there is some heat into them they stop like nothing else.
    Gave the car a bath to get the dust off last night.

Took it to work fine
    Coming home was a different story...

Yup it brokedown about 2 miles from my house the first proper 100% immobilised breakdown.
    Had to get the bro and old man to bring me some tools as all i had was the worlds smallest screwdriver.
    Got it started somehow by luck so didn't turn it off and hot footed it back home...
    Let it idle and then i tapped the coil pack main relay and it stalled!
    A spare relay got it up and running again then i took to fixing of poor alarm install in the same area and cleaned the earths up again while i was there.

So i'll be running the car a bit incase there is anything else coming out the wood work and going to order a new coil pack, coil pack relay and fuel pump for safety as i dont have spares of these

Post Thanks / Like

Any updates, fitted the cage yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes fella loads of updates just forgot to put them on here aswell, i'll copy n paste the updates

Post Thanks / Like

Well yesterday didnt go so well up at snetterton - october 8th

It was a lovely morning

I got me a garage too

All up packed we went in search of food in tyrells.... and it was awesome!

We came back to find another renault friend in the garage next to us

So we then went out on the sighting laps after the briefing and noise testing, the track was wet in places but didn't give a problem

Sighting laps over time for the next car group and then the bike groups to go out

Then it was go time!
    First session of the day
    We dropped the boost from 18psi to 10psi to save the clutch from slipping
    Everything was going swimmingly well, heel and toeing into corners everything was sweet
    Was in front of the apt saxo for a few laps but let him go past on a straight as it was rapid when it got going.
    Then we came across a 10 plate mini cooper s for 4 laps, I didn't drop below 5000rpm at any point during this and was reving it right round to the end of the rev counter at 7000rpm.

Well the mini with all its track stickers from everywhere in the uk had a renault 5 stuck to it going in, out and through the corners but on the straights it got some space between us but i could out brake the mini due to the awesome carbon lorraine front pads i've got fitted

Well session ends we cruise around in 5th and 4th letting the car cool down.
    Pull into our garage and open the bonnet to find an alarming amount of oil sprayed out of the boost bleed valve onto the bonnet it did spray little bits but this was alot more than normal
    Yet the engine was still idling lovely....
    With the engine running i undid the oil cap and the engine was breathing really heavily
    So we turned it off and thought nothing more as we know it has been breathing heavy for a while.

Got the call for the 2nd session
    We go to start the car and it doesn't fire up just cugged and tried to run but sadly the heart stopped beating time and time again.
    Suspecting a fuel problem we stripped the carb but it was all ok and it had spark so we ripped the rocker cover off to check we didn't have any valve or push rod problems from the high rev's abuise but it was all ok
    So we had to call it a day as i think the bottom end is toast

Called mr rac and got asked if we had been racing.... noooo as if we be doing such a thing

Then our prestige recovery wagon came to save us

what i will say tho is how different track day stuff is compared to car shows... we had loads of people just randomly making conversation about the car and the day, even had a biker just come say hi and we laughed at someone ruining there caravan legs lol
    Oh and the boobies walking around was very yummy indeed :nodyes:

Overall a great end to the 5's short track season, its now a winter project untill next year when it will be back much better and stronger with a new engine, gearbox overhual, bigger turbo and piper 285 high reving cam

Its going to be fecking awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

October 17th

Results are in.....

I fooked it

I have 3 cylinders with 8bar and one with 6 bar guess that could be a problem then

Dont dare take it apart cause i think the piston is a mess

Post Thanks / Like

October 31st

Found the reason behind my heavy breathing problems...

Glazed the bores and fried/gumed up the cheap piston rings DOH!

I was expecting some heavy detonation marking and maybe a holey piston. But nothing! headgasket's fire ring is untouched and the head and pistons are mint. Considering its never had det cans put near it i think thats a fair result

Post Thanks / Like

November 5th

Clock is ticking away and i'm running out of free time

Cracked on it today as much as i can do without all the parts i need.

Heres a shock of a photo its on axle stands again

Lost my head and found i still have pistony things

Found it again

ooo holes

Pistony thingys and liner thingys

Got bitten by something.... ****IN ouch!

Borewash... its not big and its not clever and certainly a pain in the ass

So I went in dry, hard n fast and i honed that bore like no tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

November 16th

well the running issue was ermmmm...... a faulty coilpack/ecu unit and not the engine altho it wasnt healthy DOH!

But at least now its not breathing heavy and its pulling like a train and this is only at low boost! Canny wait to raise the boost up yet i'm scared the clutch will slip again but i have a new one ready n waiting

Post Thanks / Like

November 23rd

Pictures from snetterton 8)

Post Thanks / Like

Cause this car is getting serious now!

4 steels with 888's on them

Few pictures nothing special mind

Post Thanks / Like

And where back up to date....

Had to give my cousin back his aei/coil pack which was making mine run so it hasnt moved over christmas not a bad thing i guess

So ordered a new coil pack

Then i remembered i need to be quicker down the long straight at snetterton, altho the 888's have giving me at least 10mph extra into and through most corners i feel the back straight a bit boring

So i just ordered a turbo technics stage 3 turbo
    Just keeping my eyes peeled for a good front mount kit to come up for sale but till then i'll run low boost to keep the intake temps down to a safe limit with the double cap alloy cooler i have atm

Hopefully i can rob my brothers megajolt kit and buy the rest of the bits i need to fit it so i can make a better timing map, rather than mess about with the original gear moving tdc sensors etc so its a bit more reliable on track

then when the renault headgasket goes pop or the head comes off again i'll change the cam for a 285 like a real man

Post Thanks / Like

very nice pics ont the track

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work Fordy!!

Your car has come on leaps & bounds from where it was when you bought it!!

Post Thanks / Like

greeat great project mate.. full repaint and then track actioin get in!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great read, nice to see another 5 on track! How do you find the carbon lorraine pads?

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the comments everyone

The pads are awesome but then i've not had the chance to compare anything else in this car other than crusty reddot pads, knackered discs and old flexi hoses

Ive had yellow stuff pads n brembos on my 200sx s14a and they were ok on track for a while till they overheated but then i was going round brands hatch flat out in 280bhp car,

The cl's are epic, everyone that has been in the car round snetterton has commented how great the feel and got me looking for the same pads for their cars the next day

They've never let me down on track heat wise, even going down the snetterton 300 back straight about 100mph into the next bend you can brake pretty late if you dare around the close to the 50 yard marker board.

Only times i come in off track are when i've been out for more than 20mins, been off roading, hungry for food or to swap passengers

Only thing that lets me down on track is the
    Breathing system think i need a catch can
    Cooling system
    And the carb is leaking breather oil mist out around the top lobster sump sealered for now or its coming through the choke spindle bush

Normally i run 1 bar on a new stock t2, i pushed the boost up to about 1.2bar for a few laps.. knowing the fueling is correct at 12-11.8s with the wideband at both boost levels and the coolant got a bit hotter than before.

My only concern is that with the t25 on it the cooling system will be hard pushed to keep stable and i don't wanna be on and off track every 5 mins, compared to 20 mins of pretty much flat out abuise i can do atm

So Im thinking maybe an alloy rad or a new radiator and remove the grill when out on track

Post Thanks / Like

You're not supposed to finish a rebuild project and then actually use the car. People don't do that here.

You have three options -

- waste years and years, never complete the project and sell on (in bits or otherwise)
    - complete the project but always find new things to do other than use the f'kin thing
    - complete the project and sell on as soon as it's done

You don't fall in any of these three categories Fordy. Membership revoked!

Post Thanks / Like

Because i know people like to see shiney bits here you go

New turbo is on! and set to 14psi @ carb top using the dash boost gauge as my standalone gauge has gone tits up

Stage 3 hybrid vs an old spare t2 i was gunna use as a surcharge return and then keep my new t2 as a spare

I think my rad is leaking out the bottom so i've invested in a lovely 50mm alloy radiator without built in oil cooler (have external mocal oil cooler fitted) and a new low temp fan switch for good measure

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    You're not supposed to finish a rebuild project and then actually use the car. People don't do that here.

You have three options -

- waste years and years, never complete the project and sell on (in bits or otherwise)
    - complete the project but always find new things to do other than use the f'kin thing
    - complete the project and sell on as soon as it's done

You don't fall in any of these three categories Fordy. Membership revoked!

So true

Are these alloy rads any good? The price is great and I'm thinking of getting one. Mine (foolishly) has a copper core rad and is starting to leak.

What's the best oil cooler setup to use (complete kit preferred)?

Great build thread, thanks for writing it.

Post Thanks / Like

well ive never had a problem with any alloys rads ive fitted on other cars i've had so cant see there being a problem

Altho i think i may of messed up.... i thought it was the rad leaking (best guess)

then i remembered the snapped off water pump bolt which several machine shops have tried and failed to remove so i sealed the pump on and hoped the rest would hold it leak free....
    So whilst it was jacked up today when i was looking for an ac jet i dropped I looked at the bottom of the pump and saw a ball of green coolant on the water pump housing
    Now i'm hoping its just from where i bleed the coolant yesterday so cleaned it off and gunna recheck it in a few days

If the head needs to comes off again i'm pulling the engine out with a crane and resealing the sump again, and changing the cam

Post Thanks / Like

Well it went pop again, had a mayo issue and was coming back from gsf after buying a new blue hg convinced it was just the hg at fault...

Coming back from gsf i cracked number 1 liner whilst showing a clio 182 who was boss...

needless to say maybe i should of brought that 2mm needle valve sooner
    cause the fueling was perfect on the rich side low 11's ready for track so could only be a empty carb bowl to blame and 20psi on the tt stage 3 turbo added in the mix as i was pulling 4th n 5th gears for a long time in front of the clio untill it went

few pictures of the mess

Post Thanks / Like

shame to see that dude..

you thought about giving the bay a lick of paint whilst the lumps out.

Post Thanks / Like

Could paint the bay fella but tbh unless my brother is going to do it for me i won't be doing it, it looks fine from above and the bonnet is rarely open for public viewing

Spent all evening cleaning the block best as i could, chasing every thread on the block and crank and helicoiling sump threads as 2 had stripped causing a leak and 2 are just falling apart so gunna fix them once ive got another helicoil kit

Also checked the v5 vs the engine block number.... shock it doesn't have its original block in there
    Only a couple of pictures not really showing much

Post Thanks / Like

Few pictures bit out of date tho, block is prep'd all threads chased and repaired where needed and block painted in satin/radiator ht aerosol paint

Good bye nasty red flakey paint

Goodies from CGB, rods, chain, tensioner, gasket, water pump bolts, uprated fuel pump liners, pistons

Then my order from renault came in, Mostly bolts, nuts, gaskets and a new rocker cover as mine had been crushed and wouldnt seal properly

Post Thanks / Like

My rocker cover had been crushed too, i just whacked it back out with a hammer and some shaped wood altho a lovely new rocker cover would of been better