Post Thanks / Like

High running temp.

Just been poodling around getting a feel for the car on local roads for local people.

Iam running very hot, the temp where by the fan comes on .... my needles always there.

Now i have bled the system, and various other things... stats working and in situ.

Rad stat is admitadly from a campus...(thats prob the issue)

But i have a very small coolant system, my header tank is by the water pump , and im not running a heater matrix... so as you can imagine, very little pipe run for any form of heatloss... and the shorter the run the quicker the warm up (less volume to heat up)

Question being, have i made the coolant system to short a run...?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: High running temp.

Id check the stat first. A lot of the motorfactor stats are 86deg, too high for a gtt imo 83deg is right.

Post Thanks / Like

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Brigsy's comments exactly as said the other night on the phone I run less coolant pipes than yourself JRP I very much doubt this is your problem. Mr kung fuey radiator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Agree with Brigsy's comments exactly as said the other night on the phone I run less coolant pipes than yourself JRP I very much doubt this is your problem. Mr kung fuey radiator
    Ive been thinking it might be the rad tbh!! made by a blind china man

Post Thanks / Like

Stevie Wonder welding FTW!

Or not, as the case may be

Post Thanks / Like

JRP I had the same problem with my OE rad yesterday I took a drive up to Chertsey to pick some bits up from Rinkidink (byt the way top bloke) and my coolant temps would stick just below the line you don't wan't it to cross which is very strange for my engine as normally fantastic, I tested the top rad hose stat and all was good, I tested the rad fan switch and again all was goof I re-bleed the coolant many then I thought nothing else to try as I know my rad is good internally and externally so got a spare water pump of Chris aka fidos go a raider and removed my old one last night and fitted the one I got of Chris at the side of the road as I didn't want to risk driving the 5 as it was with a newly rebuilt engine that I have only put in at the weekend just gone and the problem is now solved my temps are now back to normal. I know you water pump is new but could still not be working properly. My old water pump had no play in the pulley at all but for some reason it just wasn't doing the job, i will split it at somepoint to take a peak. Worth Considering on your John if you have a spare might be worth removing and trying it out to see if it makes any difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try the stats etc when i get them. failing that i'll deffo give the water pump a go. very valid point, just because its new does not mean its working 100%

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    I'll try the stats etc when i get them. failing that i'll deffo give the water pump a go. very valid point, just because its new does not mean its working 100%

Do the ole hot and cold water tests a few times to make sure it opens ok, I know you know how to do it.

Quick thought is your rad fan turning in the correct direction sucking and not blowing

Post Thanks / Like

Pulled the old stat out it opened in the hot water but only partialy.. was getting stuck.. that more than likley was the issue.

Fan was one of the kits from the club... only one way to mount it... unless its wired wrong and puffing back... hmm

Post Thanks / Like

Pulled the old stat out it opened in the hot water but only partialy.. was getting stuck.. that more than likley was the issue. Could be the prob or not helping the cause

Fan was one of the kits from the club... only one way to mount it... unless its wired wrong and puffing back... hmm - Thas what I was thinking should be turning anti clockwise

Post Thanks / Like

Pulled the old stat out it opened in the hot water but only partialy.. was getting stuck.. that more than likley was the issue. Could be the prob or not helping the cause

Fan was one of the kits from the club... only one way to mount it... unless its wired wrong and puffing back... hmm - Thas what I was thinking should be turning anti clockwise

It runs hot.. fan only comes in to cool down the car at X point.. so the fan will not be the reason car runs hot regardless of fan .. in theory.. but i'll have a ganders love you babe

Post Thanks / Like

What radiator fan switch you got on her JRP. I would change it for a low temp one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave..H View Post
    What radiator fan switch you got on her JRP. I would change it for a low temp one

Standard, and i could do. But that again would not be a reason it was running hot.. it only makes a switch for a fan to come on. so in therory would just make the fan be working overtime. but yes a low temp switch would be worth while

I need to find the reason its running at a constant hot temp.. personaly i feel its the stat ive changed in the top rad hose.

Post Thanks / Like

Admittedly i'm yet to even drive my 5 on the road yet but still isn't the whole point of the fan to maintain the optimum running temp?

Does the fan cut in and out, i.e is it actually providing adequate cooling to reduce temps thus switching it off?

Other reasons to cause hot running temp, ignition timing or lean fuelling?

Post Thanks / Like

Jrp how sure are you that you are running hot, just from the renault 5 mickey mouse gauge, you may not even have a problem

Post Thanks / Like

yes a fan is suposed to cut in and out etc etc.. my point is that the car is at a permenant high temp whilst running... so a fan switch would not cure the problem, would mean the fan was doing over time, and thus masking the issue...

I hope people see what i mean, a fan switch does not have anything to this.. the car is not designed to run at the high temps iam seeing, and have never had with any of my other 5's

Id imagine it has somthing to do with the faulty stat in the top rad hose.. if changing this does not cure the issue, i'll look deeper possible water pump as sugested by james5..

Everything else is ok.. its a simple problem and i appreciate the ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrixNFlix View Post
    Jrp how sure are you that you are running hot, just from the renault 5 mickey mouse gauge, you may not even have a problem
    Put it this way.. iam driving down the road, and the temp of my car is on the line at which a normal fan switch would make to bring on the fan. on my gauge that a whole line to high... and when i say driving thats normal off boost driving.

And yes i have bled and bled the system.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry re read your problem dude, campus stat is 89c, as you stated ,this is the problem its opening up too late.

Post Thanks / Like

yes a fan is suposed to cut in and out etc etc.. my point is that the car is at a permenant high temp whilst running... so a fan switch would not cure the problem, would mean the fan was doing over time, and thus masking the issue...

I hope people see what i mean, a fan switch does not have anything to this.. the car is not designed to run at the high temps iam seeing, and have never had with any of my other 5's

Id imagine it has somthing to do with the faulty stat in the top rad hose.. if changing this does not cure the issue, i'll look deeper possible water pump as sugested by james5..

Everything else is ok.. its a simple problem and i appreciate the ideas
    I'm not talking about changing a fan switch or anything, what I was saying is all the fan does is maintain the running temperature of the car and if it is cutting in/out then it is doing exactly that.

Could always pop the hose off top of the waterpump see what kind of flow you got coming out?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry re read your problem dude, campus stat is 89c, as you stated ,this is the problem its opening up too late.
    Turns out when i changed it it was a low temp jobbie, just failing to open. it opend on the piss. and would not have been letting a very good flow past.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiff_lee View Post
    I'm not talking about changing a fan switch or anything, what I was saying is all the fan does is maintain the running temperature of the car and if it is cutting in/out then it is doing exactly that.

Could always pop the hose off top of the waterpump see what kind of flow you got coming out?
    Ahh sorry miss read that, what you said is exactly my point. that switch is irrelivant in this problem.

Post Thanks / Like

You sorted now? ive just lost track of whats the foooks going on, campus this stat that, i think in need sleep

Post Thanks / Like

You sorted now? ive just lost track of whats the foooks going on, campus this stat that, i think in need sleep

Post Thanks / Like

mine does this also although some days it will run abit cooler?

Post Thanks / Like

when we went out for a drive in your 5 on friday she was sitting on the 3rd line on the oe temp gage. when you pulled up in the garage and left her to idle the fan cut in just after the 3rd line right..or am i wrong

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave..H View Post
    when we went out for a drive in your 5 on friday she was sitting on the 3rd line on the oe temp gage. when you pulled up in the garage and left her to idle the fan cut in just after the 3rd line right..or am i wrong
    Yes dave you are right. the fan kicked in when it should have done.

But the temp should not sit up on that line it should sit the line below. so the temp the car is running at is too high.. the car should run on the line before or around the line before the one at which the fan cuts in.. well in most cases.

I dont get your point?

Post Thanks / Like

Get another stat lashed in

Post Thanks / Like

spot on between the two lines is fan time, and a steady read is just under that

Post Thanks / Like

New thermostat in the top radiator hose cured the problem. now when im driving under no boost etc the temp stays down near the 2nd line as aposed to the 3rd line. just had a quick 20 min drive

thanks for input people

Post Thanks / Like

New thermostat in the top radiator hose cured the problem. now when im driving under no boost etc the temp stays down near the 2nd line as aposed to the 3rd line. just had a quick 20 min drive

thanks for input people
    Good man, now go give the 5 a proper drive

Post Thanks / Like

Good man, now go give the 5 a proper drive
    Yeah i'll limp it to yours tomorrow night have your heels and leathers ready

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i'll limp it to yours tomorrow night have your heels and leathers ready

Will this be it's first longish drive since being finished?

Post Thanks / Like

now when im driving under no boost etc the temp stays down near the 2nd line as aposed to the 3rd line. just had a quick 20 min drive

Post Thanks / Like

Will this be it's first longish drive since being finished?

Yeah iam going to try average 67mph the whole way... hahahaha

Post Thanks / Like

Yes dave you are right. the fan kicked in when it should have done.

But the temp should not sit up on that line it should sit the line below. so the temp the car is running at is too high.. the car should run on the line before or around the line before the one at which the fan cuts in.. well in most cases.

I dont get your point?
    What i was trying to say john is that mine in the summer sits just under where the fan comes on,where as in the winter it sits a lot lower. i would still change the rad fan switch if it kicks in just after the 3rd line.

Post Thanks / Like

O.e fan switch cuts the fan in just after the 2/3 mark, no need to panic its fine!

If it cuts in lower it must have a low temp switch fitted, imo not needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    O.e fan switch cuts the fan in just after the 2/3 mark, no need to panic its fine!

If it cuts in lower it must have a low temp switch fitted, imo not needed.
    brigsy why would i panic, im trying to tell john that my temp gage sits just under where the fan would cut in just like his but only in the summer. i always thought that the campus stat and switch run hotter than the oe gtt one.

Post Thanks / Like

Its all in jest mate!

Campus rad fan switch is the same as the gtt, its only there to stop overheating. With standard switch fitted the fan doesnt kick in every 5 mins when driving slowly, only comes on when it needs to

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Its all in jest mate!

Campus rad fan switch is the same as the gtt, its only there to stop overheating. With standard switch fitted the fan doesnt kick in every 5 mins when driving slowly, only comes on when it needs to

i got ya

Post Thanks / Like

As i said chaps its sorted, was just a restriction in the top rad hose, meaning water backing up in the pump... bear in mind the temp reader is in the pump housing... a restriction would mean hot water by the sensor for longer hence high readings.

stat in hose changed now running at a sexualy low temp

International Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

As i said chaps its sorted, was just a restriction in the top rad hose, meaning water backing up in the pump... bear in mind the temp reader is in the pump housing... a restriction would mean hot water by the sensor for longer hence high readings.

stat in hose changed now running at a sexualy low temp
    What temp of stat have you bought mate?

Post Thanks / Like

just a 79/83 i think you can get them in halfords but check in the box they always have wrong stat in the box. i got mine from mike aka phase i 16v

Just a top rad stat....

Post Thanks / Like

just a 79/83 i think you can get them in halfords but check in the box they always have wrong stat in the box. i got mine from mike aka phase i 16v

Just a top rad stat....
    Yeah i got a new one from Halfords a few days ago, the one listed for the 1400cc non turbo was 86 and the GTT one was 83