Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Boosty problem

Had the car on a RR a few weeks back and was running poor boost.

I'm told the problem could be a weak actuator and Spooky Sooky said I can test it by doing the almighty cup mod?

Now if I remember rightly people used to get shot down for asking about the cup mod but is there a how-to guide with photographs?

Not really sure what I need to do as I've not really messed about with boost pipework etc before.

Failing that, any more suggestions? MarkyMark suggested winding the boost up a bit but again I'm not too sure on that as I've never touched anything boosty before.

Thanks
    Last edited by zinc; 09-06-2010 at 14:13.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boosty problem

Just read a thread a few threads below:

I feed the actuator to a bleed valve, the other port off the bleed valve to the carb middle, then feed the carb base to the AEI, with a boost guage tee'd into it.

Block both the carb top nipples off, on the passenger side.
    I'll try to take a photograph of how different my current set up is!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Am, you back home now?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sukh, yes I am.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, I'll pop over, you about in the next half hour?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure.

Will we need any spare hose? I'll have a dig about but not sure if I have any.

Post Thanks / Like

Im sure I can manipulate what you've already got

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zinc View Post
    Had the car on a RR a few weeks back and was running poor boost.

I'm told the problem could be a weak actuator and Spooky Sooky said I can test it by doing the almighty cup mod?

Now if I remember rightly people used to get shot down for asking about the cup mod but is there a how-to guide with photographs?

Not really sure what I need to do as I've not really messed about with boost pipework etc before.

Failing that, any more suggestions? MarkyMark suggested winding the boost up a bit but again I'm not too sure on that as I've never touched anything boosty before.

Thanks
    From what i remember your car already has the 'cup mod' done to it mate, i can't remember though if you had a bleed valve of some description under there though.

Mentioned adjusting the actuator abit to see if the actuator was actually working or if it is knackered, sometimes the older the actuator is the weaker the diaphram is getting inside.

Might worth trying to plumb it up with the back actuator port being used again so it gives some pressure to hold the wastegate button shut. Worth a try.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Mark. Yeah, noticed that it had the cup mod already so wound up the boost a little then found it was running a fair bit more boost, a little too much!

Then we removed the bleed valve and associated pipework and it's now pulling much more smoothly. Didn't need to re-adjust the actuator back as it was boosting fine!

Can you remember which jet is in the carb mate? Kept the boost level fairly low as we weren't sure but I will whip off the carb to have a nose around.

Also noticed there is a slight back fire when revving whilst stationary which is odd because it drives fine.

Must say thanks to Spooky even though we were close to becoming deaf by that rather excitable alarm.
    Last edited by zinc; 09-06-2010 at 19:02.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark - it did have the cup mod but it was using the GT Tuning spider valve bleed valve bull**** so I pulled it all out

We went for a spin, no boost spikes & the car goes very well

As Am has said, we'll be pulling the carb off as we're unsure of the jetting - goes well at 1 bar but we (I )might get a little more out of it

Has a little backfire but nothing crazy, will have a poke about when the carb is off/tweeked...

And yea, fcuking car alarm ...