Post Thanks / Like

Clio Turbo

Not sure if this is the correct section but I've just had my car mpped today at RStuning in Leeds, to avoid retyping it all I've cut and paste my thread from Cliosport.

As a few people know last year I descended into the world of forced induction with my clio, the long term plan was simple, I wanted 300bhp. Ktec were just in the process of releasing their low pressure turbo kit and after speaking to them I decided to have the low pressure turbp (LPT) conversion initially installed, followed by the high pressure turbo (HPT) conversion when funds would allow.

Anyway I had the 220bhp LPT conversion carried out and although initially pleased with the performance I was a bit disappointed to discover it only made 206 bhp. So a quick plan was devised, and I decided to pull the engine out and fit the full low compression/high boost turbo kit. In theory it was a simple concept as I already had the 300bhp turbo and intercooler and therefore once the low comp pistons etc... were installed I’d be able to simply turn the boost up and here we come 300bhp.

Unfortunately the reality was that the car made 267bhp and 262lb/ft now this really did annoy me as I’d heard countless stories of the mythical 300bhp turbo clios yet on closer inspection everyone who’d turbocharged their clio had struggled to exceed 280 bhp. So I decided to build my own kit, I removed the ktec conversion and sold it, then set about hand picking various component which I believed would get me to a comfortable 300bhp. I’m not going to bore you with what I’ve done but by using a logical approach and thinking a bit outside the box I managed to cobble together a half decent set up. Anyway early on in the thought process it was obvious that I was going to need a decent ECU after looking at everything available I decided that it would be the EC1 that RStuning and Tour-de-force designed.

Well after 5 months of varying enthusiasm levels I managed to get it finished and down to RStuning for a mapping session, the results from todays mapping are below. The first graph is power at the fly the second and third are power at the wheels.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1021 x 742.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1021 x 742.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clio Turbo

Weird, seems like a matter of weeks ago I spoke to you, Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

I know Adam, the first half of this year has flown by, thanks for the tips when I was trying to decide which turbo to go with, looks like I made the right choice in the end

Even the mapper was impressd at how much power it made for 1 bar of boost.

Post Thanks / Like

you must be pleased with that

I think the rollers may be a wee bit optimistic, but whatever.

How are you controlling the boost?

Where was the lambda sensor fitted?

Post Thanks / Like

I am quite pleased tbh Andrew, even if the roller are bit optimistic stock 182's normally make 160bhp there and it's where all my mapping/power runs have been done so i'd like to think it shows a little bit of improvement

The boost is being controlled via a PWM input on the ECU and the dyno lambda probe was in one of my tail pipes.

The ECU is running off the wideband output on my zeitronix zt2

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done I trust it was Paul or Matt at the keyboard. I plotted that air temp probe today for you incase you still need it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it was Paul who sorted it all out, your mate Specky is a right character we've spent all day giving each other grief lol, he was trying to get me to nip to the shops in his Tigra, or TIG RAT as I kept calling it.

If I could get the air temp calibration of you that would be great as there is still a few areas which need refining.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SP33DY View Post
    Specky is a right character
    Subtle, isn't he

Post Thanks / Like

have you considered pulling some boost out in the middle to flatten the torque curve, and maybe give the gearbox an easier time?

I assume that the sensor in the downpipe gives a nicer looking AFR?

Oh, are you able to edit the map yourself, or do you have to go back to RS Tuning?

Post Thanks / Like

He never shuts up!! He was quite impressed with the zeitronix kit so I think he might want one off you. Which reminds me, is the zt2 a plug and play jobbie? as my egts were all over the place?

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew I can map it myself but I need a dongle to do it (which I haven't bought yet) the AFR's look good on the zt2 as does the lambda, I do however need to wire in the TPS and the ATS to give me a better picture of whats going on. I also need to actually plug the Zt2 into my laptop to see how it all works, but we only got it running yesterday and I had to get it RAC'd down to leeds

Post Thanks / Like

Which turbo did you go for in the end, Steve?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Re EGT Steve, yes should just work once plugged in. If it's irratic then you need to make sure that the sensor lead is away from HT and other sources of inteference.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

As said on the phone, well done mate, a decent figure to get. Now at least you can stop taking it to bits for a while and enjoy it...

Well at least until you break something

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Steve! At least you finally got somewhere. I would be happy with that!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

as per call well son my lad rocket ship i belive it will be

Post Thanks / Like

Top darts Steve Good power being obtained from these F-series engines it seems

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the graphs again steve, whats it like to drive? Full boost by about 4300rpm? Is it laggy with the new blower? bet it pulls well when it gets going mind!

Post Thanks / Like

Matt it's surprisingly smooth and progressive to drive, as i put up on cliosport the ECU controls the boost and controls it using the TPS as a reference so when only on part throttle instead of it still aiming for full boost like when I had my seperate boost controller, it reduces the boost levels to give a much more relaxed drive.

I must Thank a few people for helping me with this so here goes. Whilst it's not been widely publicised on the site alot has went on behind the scenes.

Ashy - for being on hand for some of the most obscure metal bashing jobs ever and some genuinely good pisstaking banter

Scoff- for steering me in the right direction everytime I got side tracked with some form of money wasting idea, like megane 225 cams, ported and polished inlets/cylinderhead etc... and also for the steady supply of parts from his shop

AdamL- for taking time out to talk turbos with me and even studying photos of the turbo I was going to buy just to make sure it was a genuine item

Andrew Cooke- for being another great source of usefull information.

I will be at National Day so if anyone wants to have a poke around it they are more than welcome

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

I will be at National Day so if anyone wants to have a poke around it they are more than welcome
    Don't rub it in you C-UNIT!!

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't you coming Ashy?

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Aren't you coming Ashy?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt it's surprisingly smooth and progressive to drive, as i put up on cliosport the ECU controls the boost and controls it using the TPS as a reference so when only on part throttle instead of it still aiming for full boost like when I had my seperate boost controller, it reduces the boost levels to give a much more relaxed drive.

I must Thank a few people for helping me with this so here goes. Whilst it's not been widely publicised on the site alot has went on behind the scenes.

Ashy - for being on hand for some of the most obscure metal bashing jobs ever and some genuinely good pisstaking banter

Scoff- for steering me in the right direction everytime I got side tracked with some form of money wasting idea, like megane 225 cams, ported and polished inlets/cylinderhead etc... and also for the steady supply of parts from his shop

AdamL- for taking time out to talk turbos with me and even studying photos of the turbo I was going to buy just to make sure it was a genuine item

Andrew Cooke- for being another great source of usefull information.

Cought cought andy for his £150 crimping tools that you still have

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive been out with Steve today in his Clio Hybrid Turbo War Ship.

What a toy, the way the car delivers the power too the front wheels is great, power power power power power power power power power power Oh and go on a little more

Pulls like a train and goes like stink very impressed in the Full Build Well done lad

Post Thanks / Like

threads like these make me want to chuck a cheeky blower on my motor