Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clio 1.8 16V

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    james keep us updated on the conversion. once im finished with 5's i would mind getting a 172 and putting a blower on it.

I will defo keep you guys posted with developments.

With regards to bits left I have sold the C1J as complete with head and the VNT, I am keeping the gearbox as I am wanting to retain the GTT clocks the only things i have left are the Radtec Intercooler and alloy rad setup that could possibly be up for sale if i cannot get it to fit in the engine bay with the 172 engine. Will find out in just over a weeks time as I collect everything from under the bonnet of a 172 that took 1 up the rear.

Post Thanks / Like

main issue i'm finding now with my setup (blown f7p) is gearboxes and clutches, the 200mm clutch setup just wont cut it i dont think indefinately, currently i run a full helix 4 paddle setup and thats holding, but pre to that i ripped up a willy valeo clutch and a gtt uprated gsf valeo job

current spec is 15.5psi and 254bhp, 230lb/ft and a 12.9 1/4 mile on road tyres

so its not slow but could do more

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Why stress the engine by rev'ing it high though? I'd start off with a 2L base, which then gives you scope for a torque'y and/or more power overall setup.

As ya man said above, without even touching the engine you'll be starting off with 170/180hp.
    mart........ I didn't go to all that trouble fitting an 1800cc crank for nothing at even 15psi boost the 2l will make enough torque to kill gearbox's on a weekly basis. why on earth will the 2l make more power ? Its the same cylinder head. power has nothing to do with cc's.

Post Thanks / Like

when you're hampered with a Renault gearbox you have to do everything possible to keep the torque down, so the only way to make power is going to be with revs. As Coops has found 15psi+ is going to give you real troubles. If you're looking for any kind of transmission reliability 7psi is more sensible, of course with low boost and a big turbo you could run quite high CR. With the right bits you could get over 300hp at 7psi.

Post Thanks / Like

surely massive lag issue would crop up then, if i'm totally honest mine feels laggy with the 28 on it, the 1.8 just doesnt displace enough air to spool it up at low rpm. but there again if your only after 7psi for that kind of power (how, tell me what parts i need, lol) you dont need much pressure......

bloody turbo dynamics confuse the hell outta me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    surely massive lag issue would crop up then, if i'm totally honest mine feels laggy with the 28 on it, the 1.8 just doesnt displace enough air to spool it up at low rpm. but there again if your only after 7psi for that kind of power (how, tell me what parts i need, lol) you dont need much pressure......

off boost you have a NA 172 - no slouch, and on boost you have a turbo monster. Sure, it'll be peaky. You're probably looking at full boost at over 6K. Have a look at a GT35R, or 4088R.

Which 28RS did you get?

Post Thanks / Like

gt spec, think its a .60 or something? no idea tbh but its written on it iirc

Post Thanks / Like

def GT28RS not GT28R?

If so there are 2 exhaust housings, the slightly ghey .64 and the .86

Post Thanks / Like

defo rs, thats the dual ball bearing spec isnt it, it was wider on the exhaust housing than my old gt28 which i presume is due to wider bearing, had i right kerfuffle to get downpipe clearance etc as wider housing shifter everthing 5mm to offside of the car, no idea on exhuast side code, the compressor side is a .6 something, if i had the car to hand i could check but i basically ordered the same spec turbo from same supplier bbpt use for my conversion

Post Thanks / Like

defo rs, thats the dual ball bearing spec isnt it, it was wider on the exhaust housing than my old gt28 which i presume is due to wider bearing, had i right kerfuffle to get downpipe clearance etc as wider housing shifter everthing 5mm to offside of the car, no idea on exhuast side code, the compressor side is a .6 something, if i had the car to hand i could check but i basically ordered the same spec turbo from same supplier bbpt use for my conversion
    they're both dual ball bearing, that's what the R stands for. Maybe I'll have a squint at BB

Post Thanks / Like

Laggy with a T28? What cams do you have? Are 1.8 cams suitable for forced induction? Could it be you have to much over lap and your blowing boost out of the exhaust. Compared to the fords no one seems to make any decent parts for renaults.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a T28, it's a GT28RS...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    It's not a T28, it's a GT28RS...

O.k

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

rs250nut, the cam's arn't that wild really, with a big turbine (I guess he has 0.64 on his GT28rs) and not much boost they'll probably work OK. My 172 cams are wilder than those and I run quite a lot of boost with those. It would be a different story if he was trying to run a tiny turbo into choke ofcourse

maybe this all boils down to one persons interpretation of lag vs. anothers !

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    For sure your going to make more power with a 2L with out a dout...
    why ? I think some people need to go and learn some basics

Post Thanks / Like

its possible, having not been out in a tuned 5 much i cant really give a massive detail on why i think its laggy, maybe it isnt that bad, it just feels a bit like i have to rev it to get the best of it is all, lol

Post Thanks / Like

its possible, having not been out in a tuned 5 much i cant really give a massive detail on why i think its laggy, maybe it isnt that bad, it just feels a bit like i have to rev it to get the best of it is all, lol
    sounds like you need to get a diesel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    why ? I think some people need to go and learn some basics
    Everyday is a school day

Post Thanks / Like

Engine now obtained and all parts just started by stripping the lump of all the thats not needed, like gearbox, PAS, air con etc.. I have even cleaned 1 side of the lump and given it a lick of paint.

Got to order some more parts from Renault tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Engine now obtained and all parts just started by stripping the lump of all the thats not needed, like gearbox, PAS, air con etc.. I have even cleaned 1 side of the lump and given it a lick of paint.

Got to order some more parts from Renault tomorrow.
    which lump you gone for james the 172 by the look of the manifold...get it turbo'd

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it is the 172 lump but lack of funds at the mo is forcing me to go N/A for now but hopefully by next Nat day she will be turbo'd. Gives me a chance to sort out any niggly bits and give me some time to trust my conversion.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be very grateful if you could keep a sort of photo diary during the conversion so that others in the club (me) may make it a bit easier for themselves

Good luck and keep us posted!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznaldo View Post
    I'd be very grateful if you could keep a sort of photo diary during the conversion so that others in the club (me) may make it a bit easier for themselves

Good luck and keep us posted!

I am already 1 step ahead matey, Have been uploading some pics as I go along as to bits I have acquired and what progress done to date, I have even started a how to guide which includes rough costs of parts required for the N/A conversion.

Some pics in my profile album and some under the Technical File section.
    Last edited by James5; 20-11-2008 at 11:42.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to pop round for a peep & a chat soon mate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    I'll have to pop round for a peep & a chat soon mate