Post Thanks / Like

Nipples

Was gonna try bleeding brakes tomorrow to make sure there all good for mot soon. Drivers side nipples came undone lovely so round to passenger side rear and snap. Ok let's try the front oh dear someones already beat me to it and rounded it off. Any advice on how to remove these. Don't fancy buying new ones as mine seem pretty good. Cheers fella. also is it only Renault I can get new ones from. I no mike phase 1 16v turbo keeps them but am unable to get to him but have a few Renault garages close and plenty of motorfactors to choose from.

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nipples

Halfords and the local motorfactors were useless, it was the smaller motor/parts store that had the nipples in stock. I bought 5 different lots as I was unsure, buy it was a pound a pair so hardly a bank breaker.

I've manage to drill out some nipple before but fecked the last ones up. I have now brought 2 new fronts and 2 new rears to save probelms.

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna take them off tomorrow and attack them with molegrips, heat, and a drill hopefully one of these should do it. It all started wen I jumped the car for first time after rebuilding engine and in all the excitment of it firing up first time and keeping an eye out for any leaks forgot to take off jump leads and also left other motor running then flames from batt neg lead and earth strap unfortunatly the black plastic from burning earth strap decided to sit on the plastic pipe coming from the bottom of resovior.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
    Gonna take them off tomorrow and attack them with molegrips, heat, and a drill hopefully one of these should do it. It all started wen I jumped the car for first time after rebuilding engine and in all the excitment of it firing up first time and keeping an eye out for any leaks forgot to take off jump leads and also left other motor running then flames from batt neg lead and earth strap unfortunatly the black plastic from burning earth strap decided to sit on the plastic pipe coming from the bottom of resovior.
    i wouldn't use too much heat, brake fluids quite flammable

Post Thanks / Like

Good call, maybe if I remove caliper from car will make lif a bit easier. Already had one fire this week. Lol.

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

when i got one out i drilled it and teased it out with an easy out, but there pretty craap if you ask me.. i've snapped 10 easy outs in my time and removed 1 snapped brake nipple..

i just wont waste my time anymore i just hate failing.. give it a bash but have something to smash up nearby as the fury might take over...

Post Thanks / Like

If heat doesn't work, (I heated mine up untill they were glowing and they still snapped)

Try some mole grips on them, it's worked for me before.

I would always recomend changing them every time you need to bleed the brakes.

If the inevitable happens and you can't be arsed to try and drill em out then take them to a local engineering shop and they will remove the snapped nipple for you and re-tap the caliper to whatever thread size you like for around £20. They did two for me for that

Better than the price of a new/second hand caliper.

If you want to remove the calipers then i would probably change the handbrake cables too, as most of the time they weld them selves to the caliper and you will need to cut them to remove them.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers fellas. I got the hole day on it tomorrow. Sounds like I'm gonna need it. I've changed handbrake cables on my last 5 what a pain in the @rse. Didn't think of that if I remove the rear one.

Post Thanks / Like

My rear passenger side bleed nipple has snapped off too, so i bled it 'mexican style'

Cable tied the brake compensator and undone the brake pipe just slightly on the caliper and let gravity do the rest Works a treat!

Post Thanks / Like

If you heat the nipple and calliper, then try to cool the nipple down on its own with a little water, this causes the calliper to stay expanded and the nipple to contract hopefully releasing it. good luck.