Post Thanks / Like

before i change my starter...

is there anyone who can take a look or double check my mota before i change the starter on it.. Ive been knocking it wiv a big spanner,, and checking the wires.. but im not too good on that bit.

Anyone in NW london who can take a look? Colin cant atm (before anyone says him)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: before i change my starter...

anyone available in NW London who can fix it? (will pay..)

Post Thanks / Like

Bump...

is there anyone who can take a look at my car.. its doing my head in.. cant get it to start.... starter is just clicking.... i have a feeling its somthing to do with an earth somewhere but i js cant sort it :'(

im in NW london if anyone can..

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

....have you got a heatshield over the starter solenoid?
    If not, you will need a new starter AND a heatshield......

Post Thanks / Like

check your earths,there isnt to many!,easy to do...
    then maybe whip of the starter,clean it up,stick some special grease
    on there an give that a go,get stuck in,get her running!!

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a jump lead and put 1 end on the battery negative terminal and the other on an exsposed bit of metal on the engine, the cyclinder head would be good, then try starting it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Get a jump lead and put 1 end on the battery negative terminal and the other on an exsposed bit of metal on the engine, the cyclinder head would be good, then try starting it
    This sounds like it may work... but ive taken the starter out now... its fine.. tested on a booster pack...

pretty sure its an earthing prob. So where are the earthing points to the eninge??? i need to fix this :P

Post Thanks / Like

The main engine earth bolts to the side of the block on the Drivers side near the rear lifting eye.....the other end bolts to the bulkhead

No harm in adding an extra earth lead though

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    This sounds like it may work... but ive taken the starter out now... its fine.. tested on a booster pack...

pretty sure its an earthing prob. So where are the earthing points to the eninge??? i need to fix this :P
    i have a fcuking great big power cable kicking about the garage and stuck it from the chassis to the engine block, there wasn't a hope in hell that it wasn't getting all the earth it needed but i ruled out the earth still being a problen.. i had burnt one out causing it not to start and shortly after the problem cam back.. after my monster cable fitting i went back to the start and found the battery just wasn't able to crank any longer.. 12v, but no umph..

do the same, halfords sell earth straps, grab 2 and bolt them from the chassis to the engine, doesn't have to be pretty, just find the fault.. 2 jump leads from bare metal to the engine block would do..

dont think its not the starter because you tested it off the car, there funny old things and playing silly buggers is there game.. wd40 it and test it a few more times and grease up the dog/pinion/gear and make sure its slipping in like a todger...

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Try it, if it starts new earths needed, if it doesn't somit else is up

Post Thanks / Like

maybe all you just need is a starter heatshield,cool wrap the starter an downpipe to,after you have cleaned up pinion etc,will do the job,works on mine,bearing in mind my starter is new,yours maybe a shot...

Post Thanks / Like

The starter motor has been refurbished... and tested by both them and me.. and im 99percent certain its fine. Im sure its js an earthing prob... gna put it back on tmrw.. and then try earthing the engine block from the negative terminal of the battery and see what happens

im off for now.. going to make pancakes and have tea then go to bed.

Post Thanks / Like

may sound silly but also make ure the 13mm nut connecting your Batt and alt leads on the solenoid is tight, also make sure your getting a good 12v to the white (exciter?) wire when you turn the key to start, also check that the spade connection fits nicely onto the starter motor and isnt corroded or loose

Post Thanks / Like

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Post Thanks / Like

right... i know this starter spins ok.. cos ive had it refurbished and taken it off the car 3 times just to make sure...

but EVERY TIME I PUT IT BACK ON it just clicks!!! i dont get it... ive used a booster pack on the battery to get it to start but no joy... even put another a jump lead from negative to onto the starter body... still no joy..

Post Thanks / Like

can someone verify that im correct in saying there are only 2 wires going to the starter? red and white?

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

can someone verify that im correct in saying there are only 2 wires going to the starter? red and white?

3 matey

Starter to alt, battery to starter (thick grey cable), and the solenoid wire white/green

Post Thanks / Like

you have something wrong there..thats why she's just clicking.

Post Thanks / Like

lol oops... but serisously now.. i put all 3 cables.. plus checked my battery.. even connecting to another vehicle's battery,,, and STILL FCUKING CLICKING!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG IM GNA KICK THE CRAP OUT OF HER SOON

Post Thanks / Like

lol oops... but serisously now.. i put all 3 cables.. plus checked my battery.. even connecting to another vehicle's battery,,, and STILL FCUKING CLICKING!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG IM GNA KICK THE CRAP OUT OF HER SOON
    When you tested the starter off the car did you test the solenoid to make sure it was actually engaging?

For example you would have used a jump lead to the starter body metal part for an earth so from battery negative or an earth point, then used the other jump lead from battery positive to the starter live feed the one with the 13mm bolt on, then you need another wire from the battery to just touch the solenoid live this would engage the starter solenoid.

Did you do the above?

Post Thanks / Like

what i did to test it (and it worked 3 times) was i connected a jump lead from the booster pack to the body of the starter,, then connected the positve lead to the possitve terminal on the starter, then touched with a screw driver the positve to the solenoid terminal... this made it all work.... this is correct right?

could it have anything to do with my alternator by anychance??? (im js tryin to think outside the box now)

Post Thanks / Like

bump//

Scotland Regional Rep youngscottie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

is the starter just clicking or is it spinning over but not turning the engine?
    check the positive battery lead to the starter to make sure its not rotten anywhere

run a seprate earth from the bolck near to the starter straight to the neg bat terminal and try it

are the flywheel teeth ok?

fit the starter to the car and test it as you described above with jumpleads this would let ou know if the wiring is ok or if the starters duff

i suspect the starter

Post Thanks / Like

is the clicking sound like a clunk? like the solenoid is operating but the motor not spinning, should sound like a metalic clunk, if so then you need to check the main positive feed to your starter. check with a test light or multi meter for 12v, when someone turns the key to the start position this should be 12v at the solenoid trigger(the little wire) check for a permanant 12v to the starter on the main lead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    is the clicking sound like a clunk? like the solenoid is operating but the motor not spinning, should sound like a metalic clunk, if so then you need to check the main positive feed to your starter. check with a test light or multi meter for 12v, when someone turns the key to the start position this should be 12v at the solenoid trigger(the little wire) check for a permanant 12v to the starter on the main lead.
    sorry if it doesnt quite make sense i stopped half way through lol, im sure u get the jist of it.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont flippin get it....!!!

it works fine off the car (now tested 4 times!!!)

the wire that comes from the battery defo has power cos i tested it by touching a part of the body with it lol... normal big sparks as you can imagine

the wire going to the alternator shouldnt matter if its connected as ive been told... thats.... all other connections including solenoid spade connector has been cleaned and looked fine anyway...!!

starter is fine off the car... except wen its on the car. it js makes a clunk noise... engine too sticky or somthing? lol

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking out of the box, have you checked the ignition switch wiring/plug near the key?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the little solonoid wire hasn't got 12v. Run a new wire from your connector of death to the starter solonoid.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

just cos its been refurbed doesnt mean its been done correctly if it spins off the car it just proves the motor is ok, the solenoid may be weak if it hasnt got the power to throw out the dog and "mesh", sound like its throwing the dog out (click/clunk) but not with enough power to mesh and it wont spin up till its fully out and meshed into the flywheel. IF its been refurbished take it back and tell them its not meshing/working and ask them to take a look at it. IF the wires are on correct and its trying to start dont beat yourself up messing with wires take it back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolvo View Post
    just cos its been refurbed doesnt mean its been done correctly if it spins off the car it just proves the motor is ok, the solenoid may be weak if it hasnt got the power to throw out the dog and "mesh", sound like its throwing the dog out (click/clunk) but not with enough power to mesh and it wont spin up till its fully out and meshed into the flywheel. IF its been refurbished take it back and tell them its not meshing/working and ask them to take a look at it. IF the wires are on correct and its trying to start dont beat yourself up messing with wires take it back

If you have a battery live to the starter and it's earthed fine, and the solenoid is just clicking it sounds like you have it all wired up fine it's just the solenoid just doesn't have the balls anymore. New Starter required by the looks of things matey.

Are you able to get hold of another starter motor of a local member to you that is known to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    If you have a battery live to the starter and it's earthed fine, and the solenoid is just clicking it sounds like you have it all wired up fine it's just the solenoid just doesn't have the balls anymore. New Starter required by the looks of things matey.

Are you able to get hold of another starter motor of a local member to you that is known to work.
    nope.. i dont know anyone near me... thats why ive been tryin to buy one of someone here with no joy.. till i got fed up and just wen to refurbish mine...

i think its not the starter but something to do with the wiring (white wire going to solenoid perhaps) as the starter works perfectly when its off the car. But wen i connect it to the car wires (keeping the starter unbolted and off physically) it just clicks. Where is this white wire coming from??

Post Thanks / Like

nope.. i dont know anyone near me... thats why ive been tryin to buy one of someone here with no joy.. till i got fed up and just wen to refurbish mine...

i think its not the starter but something to do with the wiring (white wire going to solenoid perhaps) as the starter works perfectly when its off the car. But wen i connect it to the car wires (keeping the starter unbolted and off physically) it just clicks. Where is this white wire coming from??

The white / green wire goes to the main loom connection next to the OE header tank, then it goes of into the car via a few other loom junctions were it will end up with an ingition key activation to give it power to engage and turn engine when key turned. You will need to find out what colour wire it transfers to at each connectionand pretty much follow it all the way back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    The white / green wire goes to the main loom connection next to the OE header tank, then it goes of into the car via a few other loom junctions were it will end up with an ingition key activation to give it power to engage and turn engine when key turned. You will need to find out what colour wire it transfers to at each connectionand pretty much follow it all the way back.

thanks.. i have a feeling its gna be somthing to do with my ignition barrel (as ive been made aware by another member) ...... il do some more troubleshooting today and update.. Thank you to everyone's help so far. If anyone from NW london is reading this and doesnt mind popping by and having a look.. il greatly apreciate it..they'l be a drink in it for u too lol

Post Thanks / Like

for those who are stilll interested lol..

my todays diagnostics of this silly starter motor/starting problem...

The starter motor is currently being tested whilst not physically bolted to engine. The starter does not work and only clunks if all the normal car wires are connected to it.

BUT... the starter DOES WORK IF I DONT USE the thick grey cable on the bulkhead from the battery, and replace it with a jump lead from the positive terminal. Now this is the strange part..... if i keep the grey cable on,, AND put the positive jump lead on.. it doesnt work..... what does this mean???

Post Thanks / Like

for those who are stilll interested lol..

my todays diagnostics of this silly starter motor/starting problem...

The starter motor is currently being tested whilst not physically bolted to engine. The starter does not work and only clunks if all the normal car wires are connected to it.

BUT... the starter DOES WORK IF I DONT USE the thick grey cable on the bulkhead from the battery, and replace it with a jump lead from the positive terminal. Now this is the strange part..... if i keep the grey cable on,, AND put the positive jump lead on.. it doesnt work..... what does this mean???

Electrical problem it defo is then, is the thick grey wire broken in anyway and earthing somewhere?? maybe within the grey cable itself it has corroded within and causing bad connection.

If your problem is the thick grey cable I would personally ditch the grey cable and run a new cable from the postive battery to the constant feed on the starter motor.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks.. i may just do this try to do it neatly somehow..

thanks for everyones help.

Love Slim.xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the power cable from the battery has got sa break in it mate, run a new cable from the battery to the stater and see if it fires up then.

Scotland Regional Rep youngscottie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

if you hang the starter on the wires (not bolted to the car) it wont work as the starters earthed through the block

do you have a powerprobe?

if not get a lenght of single core cable
    put one end on to the positive terminal then touch the other end on to
    the spade of the signal wire this willeliminate the ign switch and conector of death

2minute job so get outside and let us know

make sure its not in gear first

Post Thanks / Like

ok... to whoever wants to know what the problem was in the end ... here it is..

after thinking it was the main power lead, and gettin the motor reconditioned... here was the problem...

if i tightened the wires tight on the starter motor... it wouldnt start,,, but js tightening the nut hand tight.. then it works!! WHY THE HELL??? is this normal~? i cant be asked taking it back the the store again.. js gna leave it hand tight and put it bak... jeez!!!

AdamC

js gna leave it hand tight and put it bak... jeez!!!

Word of caution with this. A loose conection can cause charging problems. Had it happen to me where the car cut out while driving. RAC man checked the electrical system out and traced it to the main power cable's nut being loose.

Post Thanks / Like

great il see how it goes... if its not charging.. then il go back to the starter motor place where i got it refurbished,, and tell em theres a problem...

Post Thanks / Like

right,,,

since putting my starter on.. and turning it over.. its sounding gay.. like someones shuved something where it shouldn't go...

whats this all about??? someone care to explain? (ps im quite sure i made sure it lined up fine,,)

Post Thanks / Like

typical question.....Have you got the dowel fitted ?? And in the right place ??

Post Thanks / Like

if you mean that round thing that sticks out slightly that fits in the starter next to the bolt hole.. then yes... and ive js re-earthed the engine..