Post Thanks / Like

How can i tell if richmod'd

how can i tell if my volvo engine has been richmod'd, just want to check, if i take the cover off my turbo ecu what am i looking for?? a diod or wire bypass?? i know some people will say it will boost higher than standard but i havent got engine in car yet and want to check so i can have it done, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How can i tell if richmod'd

this might help
    http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum...852f129b1e2df6
    not read it all but title sounds about right

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the same boat, i have two silver boxed ecu the same, had them both apart could not see any changes, and the other box is black with the vac pipes, but have not looked in there.

phil

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm sure scoff has a simple way like putting a multimeter across pins but pretty sure whoever has modified them will do a nice job of tryin to hide their work. i'm sure a nice detailed pic of the board of your timing ecu, the black one, may get an answer? but gerally if the engine comes with all the bits, which are std, and the actuator pipe hasn't got a bleed valve, the std dv is there then it'll prob be a std ecu, 8psi is fine for all the std bits so no point moddin the ecu

Post Thanks / Like

it did come with a brass bleed valve thats why i have my suspisions that its been richmod'd, ill have to take the black ecu apart and check it i think, failing that check it with my boost gauge when its running.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=REGGY5GT;149858]it did come with a brass bleed valve thats why i have my suspisions that its been richmod'd, ill have to take the black ecu apart and check it i think, failing that check it with my boost gauge when its running.[/quote

I thought it was in the jetronic silver box, my bad. If is the black one take yours apart and upload a picture i will do the same, we will crack it together partner

phil

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

metal one is the fuel ecu, i beleive blocky put larger injectors in one and re-chipped so std afm etc could be used. dunno if he's doin much with them these days tho

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures, it definitely look like mine has had a new chip mod put in.

Sorry about the quality.

phil
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

is it worth while getting this richmod done? what dose it do/achieve? where can i get it done?

Post Thanks / Like

The guy is called Richard puren, he is some old Volvo guru from what i have read.

When scoff mods the ecu he just changes something to allow more boost from the car. This was the pm from Chris.

Hi Phil,

Regards ECU, no mine is very different to the Rich mod, mine just removes the limit completely, Rich mod allows more boost with other alterations. I don't know much about his mod so I can't tell you what to look for, but if you open it and see that things have been added then it's likely it's been modified.

I read that the richmod on a standard engine gives you up to 160hp at the wheels.

I spoke to haz last night to see what he knows about this mod, im not sure if the richmod is for a standard set up, im going to be changing a few things so at the moment im wondering weather its going to work on mine.

I know another member for called sienger or something runs the richmod with bigger injectors turbo etc

Post Thanks / Like

HELP CHRIS

Post Thanks / Like

this is how i recieved my richmod, incl white tipex on the screws

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sieger View Post

this is how i received my richmod, incl white tipex on the screws

Does not look the same as mine, did you actualy send it for the richmod or did you buy it like that?

Mine looks more like its had a chip replaced , the guy i bought the car from said he had bought the ecu of ebay.

I wonder is yours a 480 set up, maybe its different to the 440 wiring, ecus etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Chris could give away his secrets, does his mod look more like mine, just a chip replace, or this piggy back wire?

phil

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

i bought the mod directly from Richard.

MS Sweden (motosport) has also a chip

but didn't beat my richmod, ( i have removed the r 206 myself)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sieger View Post
    i bought the mod directly from Richard.

MS Sweden (motosport) has also a chip

but didn't beat my richmod, ( i have removed the r 206 myself)
    is the r206 the boost limit?

If that is the case a take it the richmod is more of a map in the car

phil

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Phil, your's does not look to be modified. That chip exchange might have been a correction in the factory or a later repair, it will have nothing to do with removing the boost limit or moving it. Seiger's pictures look more like the typical rich mod and something like my own - while not identical they work in a similar way.

Post Thanks / Like

scoff recieved my ecu back cheers fella but do you know what the richmod entails and if its worth it? is it like having an ecu mapped or will just winding the boost up with your de-limited ecu get the same results?

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont want to explain too much as its a bit unfair on those who spent the time researching and testing the mods to tell you how to do it for the sake of £50. rich pruens and scoff's are similar, athough the super rich mod requires more bits changing. in short, rich's uses the std volvo bleed valve to up the boost automatically limited at 15psi, scoff's requires a bleed valve with the only restriction of 15psi being the std injectors. above 15psi rich's will need bigger injectors and a bleed valve too, not sure how the ecu will react to that. scoff's just needs bigger injectors. and to top it off, rich was on the wind down nearly 2 years ago when i was tuning mine so if you can get hold of him, oh and pay £30 more than scoff then by all means

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry to butt in, i'm running the volvo conversion in my 5. thanx to scoff's ecu mod i've run more boost in the car and its still running strong with me smashing the granny out of it daily to work and back. thanx to a few others on here i'm also running a bigger throttle body, ep cam and very soon when it arrives a t28. i'll be upping the boost to 18psi once new injectors are sourced too.
    its been a while since scoff did it for me but thanx again scoff my toy feels awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

so there is no benefit over scoffs ecu with the richmod, i want to keep the engine as simple as poss and dont want the ecu controlling the boost so scoffs looks like the right choice.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Again, they do the same thing

More than one way to skin a cat, the result is the same. As Haz says the fundimental difference is that mine removes the limit completely while Rich's seems to raise it but perhaps not remove it completely. I cannot be sure, I have not ever examined one of his modified ECU's. You can get away with keeping the factory boost control solenoid with Rich's, with mine you will need some other form of boost control (bleed, PRV, boost controller, etc).

Post Thanks / Like

Great answers guys, thats what this club is all about

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    so there is no benefit over scoffs ecu with the richmod, i want to keep the engine as simple as poss and dont want the ecu controlling the boost so scoffs looks like the right choice.
    scoff's is always the right choice. keeping it in the club with a trustable member. i've adjusted my boost on the actuator