Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remove General Chat

However I have to say that when you guys say threads desending into pointless drivel, surely you dont mean the ones started about things you have no interest in.
    No i mean threads started that i have an interest in as well, i now get to the point that if i see posts by certain members i just can't be bothered reading any further, click back and go to another thread.

If any of it was anywhere but general chat i would probably be agreeing with virtually everything the committee have to say. However unless this is the committees club (which its not) You dont have the right to Tell Dave (lets be honest its one of three peeps your all trying to do away with) what he can or cannot talk about.
    Seems to me it's just ordinary members saying this not the committee.

If you sit on this site all day then maybe you may find a few people anoying, maybe its time for you to leave. You know, Get a girlfriend or a job.
    [/quote]

I only come on this site in the evening for maybe half an hour, should i leave if i find certain people annoying within that time?!
    Last edited by warpspeed; 17-04-2010 at 21:25. Reason: not very good with computers!

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion this is why we don't have meetings like the Dutch boys.....As long as this goes on we'll just have to make use of the photos we see from Holland....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lomo View Post
    In my opinion this is why we don't have meetings like the Dutch boys.....As long as this goes on we'll just have to make use of the photos we see from Holland....

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

kenobi, you're over reacting. no one was getting that specific and no one on the committee is abusing or considering to abuse their powers in terms of directing what people do or do not talk about. try not to take it so personally

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warpspeed View Post
    No i mean threads started that i have an interest in as well, i now get to the point that if i see posts by certain members i just can't be bothered reading any further, click back and go to another thread.

Seems to me it's just ordinary members saying this not the committee.

I only come on this site in the evening for maybe half an hour, should i leave if i find certain people annoying within that time?![/quote]

Hey man thats not what I meant. I meant if people annoy you you can ignore them like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    kenobi, you're over reacting. no one was getting that specific and no one on the committee is abusing or considering to abuse their powers in terms of directing what people do or do not talk about. try not to take it so personally

Hey Scoff nah I try not to take things personally , mostly nothing is aimed at me anyway. I just see people treating other people in a less than satisfatory way and ive been brought up to do something about it. At the end of the day if no one else sees people getting singled out then maybe im wrong. i said my bit anyway.

Hope General chat dont get taken away.

Post Thanks / Like

No, as said before, General Chat isn't going anywhere. Myself and the rest of the CMs and mods are pig sick of some of the ****e that gets thrown around and it's got to stop. Some of you guys are bloody lucky that we're not even HALF as harsh as some other clubs. I see no need to ban people, we just wish for a better understanding (maybe we can be too).

It needs to get back to being about meeting people, having a laugh and helping fellow members with their cars. It's what RTOC has always been good at; I myself have met some life-long friends through here (and the love of my life I might add)

Various people whom need not be named, have begun some serious/off-the-wall topics. Absolutely fine! I'm all for it; I enjoy reading about something a little different but when it turns into a slanging match it's not on. General chat is seen by new people, who we must remember are potential new paying members...potential new paying members who are going to keep this club alive and kicking.

If issues like this keep occuring and the CMs and Mods continue to receive so many complaints about them then the answer I'm afraid will be quite simple; have the discussions elsewhere and don't bring "beef" to RTOC...the one place known for it's club spirit and lack of $hit.

I fully understand and am all for free speech , but when it becomes offensive, especially around topics such as religion and conspiracies etc, we need to protect the members. A simple answer of "well don't read it then", isn't good enough. If they wanted to read such deep topics then could log into another forum specifically for that. I bet the majority of people don't only use RTOC, they use various forums for different things right?

I'm sure I'll get a load of crap for this, but without new members joining up (after reading the nice, fun and helpful RTOC threads in General Chat) then we won't HAVE a club at all. It really does boil down to that. I'm passionate about this club too, as are the rest of the CMs and Mods, it's why we do this. Our members are too and this is why RTOC is different, please help us to keep it this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D4WNO View Post
    No, as said before, General Chat isn't going anywhere. Myself and the rest of the CMs and mods are pig sick of some of the ****e that gets thrown around and it's got to stop. Some of you guys are bloody lucky that we're not even HALF as harsh as some other clubs. I see no need to ban people, we just wish for a better understanding (maybe we can be too).

It needs to get back to being about meeting people, having a laugh and helping fellow members with their cars. It's what RTOC has always been good at; I myself have met some life-long friends through here (and the love of my life I might add)

Various people whom need not be named, have begun some serious/off-the-wall topics. Absolutely fine! I'm all for it; I enjoy reading about something a little different but when it turns into a slanging match it's not on. General chat is seen by new people, who we must remember are potential new paying members...potential new paying members who are going to keep this club alive and kicking.

If issues like this keep occuring and the CMs and Mods continue to receive so many complaints about them then the answer I'm afraid will be quite simple; have the discussions elsewhere and don't bring "beef" to RTOC...the one place known for it's club spirit and lack of $hit.

I fully understand and am all for free speech , but when it becomes offensive, especially around topics such as religion and conspiracies etc, we need to protect the members. A simple answer of "well don't read it then", isn't good enough. If they wanted to read such deep topics then could log into another forum specifically for that. I bet the majority of people don't only use RTOC, they use various forums for different things right?

I'm sure I'll get a load of crap for this, but without new members joining up (after reading the nice, fun and helpful RTOC threads in General Chat) then we won't HAVE a club at all. It really does boil down to that. I'm passionate about this club too, as are the rest of the CMs and Mods, it's why we do this. Our members are too and this is why RTOC is different, please help us to keep it this way.
    i love beef, with roasties ! I wouldnt want to be a mod on this website, from an outside point of view it lools like a full time job !

The only way i can see to stop threads going down the pan is to heavly mod the boards and if anything does need changing then it is done and the person is warned. 3 warnings and its a 5 day ban, re-occuring then more severe punishments need to be looked into.

However, i would like to say a thread should only be modified if 2 or more committee memebers (honestly) think that it needs too and a full justification sent to the writer

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hebden View Post
    i love beef, with roasties ! I wouldnt want to be a mod on this website, from an outside point of view it lools like a full time job !

The only way i can see to stop threads going down the pan is to heavly mod the boards and if anything does need changing then it is done and the person is warned. 3 warnings and its a 5 day ban, re-occuring then more severe punishments need to be looked into.

However, i would like to say a thread should only be modified if 2 or more committee memebers (honestly) think that it needs too and a full justification sent to the writer

good idea! i think we all need something in black and white so everybody knows what the rules are and what will happen if their broken.

Just saying that the posts/threads of late are not on isn't enough in my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Im glad general chat aint goin anywhere. Dawn im about to pm you bout summat.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to moderate on here

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't want General Chat to go anywhere either but I can say now that if the volume of this 'stuff' isn't reduced (by some method or another) to a level appropriate for a car club, I for one will continue to answer it and challenge it with a similar zealousness to that shown, whilst ensuring I'm within my rights as a member and within the current rules of the forum.

If nothing changes then the rules are left open to exactly the same interpretation. By that token therefore, something has to change because things are not right currently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    I wouldn't want General Chat to go anywhere either but I can say now that if the volume of this 'stuff' isn't reduced (by some method or another) to a level appropriate for a car club, I for one will continue to answer it and challenge it with a similar zealousness to that shown, whilst ensuring I'm within my rights as a member and within the current rules of the forum.

If nothing changes then the rules are left open to exactly the same interpretation. By that token therefore, something has to change because things are not right currently.

Thats makes a lot of sense.

Post Thanks / Like

and the beat goes on...

Post Thanks / Like

Completely agree but I'm being personally accused of stuff now. It's really not worth the hassle.

We could bring in a heap of rules and someone as usual won't agree and we'll get jip for it again. I'm seriously thinking of stepping down, I seem to be being picked out as only a few CMs post regularly and I'm on a lot admittedly . I'm only human and can only word things how I feel to be best. I even got someone to proofread my text so as not to cause offence, seems it still has. Just can't win.

Post Thanks / Like

Take no notice dawn. It's the same handfull time and time again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    Take no notice dawn. It's the same handfull time and time again.
    Dawn means me. I wanted to pm her instead of it being on the boards.

I'm not picking on you Dawn, I just wanted to talk to you instead of it being on here.

I thought that was a better way of doing things.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been made clear to me that I've explained a few things badly.

The general gist of the above post is that we need to find a middle-ground and have some rules in place (just as some other members have already suggested).

The issue here is that by going too strict it will alienate members, people will complain and only a few people are around to keep the rules in place anyway, a lot of the committee work behind the scenes.

I personally don't want it to become an auto-ban system like Cliosport and others, I think we all want the club to stay chilled out and I'm pretty sure a lot of others would too. Banning could be needless if people just thought about actions, it's not hard but involves a two-way understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

PM Miss Smith

Post Thanks / Like

I say keep it.

There's only one car forum I go on without a general chat section, and it's rubbish! No banter, feels very sterile. It only gets one check per day from me, whereas others I'm always on

Post Thanks / Like

We should just have a bit more moderation .
    No one is going to be oppressed, freedom of speech is a given but if the vast majority of members are sick of hearing certain subjects then ........
    It would appear that that is the case .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    No one is going to be oppressed, freedom of speech is a given but if the vast majority of members are sick of hearing certain subjects then ........

Keep going on about it Clee. if you go on about it over and over again maybe someone will think your helping.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenobi View Post
    Keep going on about it Clee. if you go on about it over and over again maybe someone will think your helping.

Morning .
    I thought we'd move on but hey ....Up to you

Post Thanks / Like

Morning .
    I thought we'd move on but hey ....Up to you

LOL yawn Lol some more. Do you get to have last word as you can lock up this thread?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes .
    Before we both say something we'll regret .