Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: KRV

Aren't there two copper washers on that banjo fitting assembly?

block-washer-banjo-washer-bolt

IIRC.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That banjo fitting is the turbo oil drain I don't think there is a copper washer on it. Could be worth sticking some ptfe tape around the thread

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the advice guys - I think and say "think" because i've yet to run it for a prolonged period yet! - That i've actually sorted that leak,fingers crossed!

But there was definatley no chopper washer in there in the first place?? - makes me laugh because this is one of the only exsisting parts that i've not touched......

If continues to leak, i've got lots of chopper washers so i'll wip it all off again!

The hold up has been the oil feed hose to the turbo, hose solutions mind have been absolute stars

In short, sent them the old hose and filter back, saying it leaks - they've agreed and i've received the new braided hose today.

Also, had a FOOOOOOOKING RESULT - Was meant to be working away, but the job has been put back a week, so planing to get it ready for MOT over the weekend, assuming i don't run into more probs.......................

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post

Also, had a FOOOOOOOKING RESULT - Was meant to be working away, but the job has been put back a week, so planing to get it ready for MOT over the weekend, assuming i don't run into more probs.......................

Whoop!!! I should be around then Sunday mate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Purple_rob View Post
    Whoop!!! I should be around then Sunday mate?

Yes mate........

By that time hopefully just be bumber and bonnet to go on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevedob1664 View Post
    ello mate cant remember but is there a copper washer between the union and the turbo? if not maybe why its leaking. you gotta bring her round when shes finnished. oh and ive got a spare union here if you wanna try it.
    Cheers Steve - May have to try it if ptfe doesn't work!

And mate for sure once it's done i'll be round, i'll need to put some miles on the engine to run it in

Post Thanks / Like

GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Just been and fitted the new turbo oil feed and that is spot on

AFR's are all over the place now i've put a new mixture screw in, so will test for leaks tommorrow and try to get that sorted.......

Buuuut still got a leak from the turbo! - as the pics probably show, it's clearly coming from the turbo drain section, and i assume it is the banjo?

Can anyone confirm if there are copper washers???

If so i'll fit them tommorrow and try ptfe too

Most worrying of all though there is some kind of grinding/scraping noise - thought it might be the fly wheel and some rust on it as it's stood for soo long but not entirely sure - thinking it could be coming from the rear housing of the turbo too?

Will have to see tommorrow as i'm off out now..................roll on tommorrow
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

No copper washers on the turbo drain, might just need nipping up? also check the oil cooler hoses for leaks they look pretty wet to me.

Its also worth checking oil isnt dripping from the exhaust housing, if the rear seal is worn it can happen.

Also clean the rubber/metal parts of return hose with brake cleaner before fitting, stops them, makes a better seal and the pipes dont slip all over

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    No copper washers on the turbo drain, might just need nipping up? also check the oil cooler hoses for leaks they look pretty wet to me.

Its also worth checking oil isnt dripping from the exhaust housing, if the rear seal is worn it can happen.

Also clean the rubber/metal parts of return hose with brake cleaner before fitting, stops them, makes a better seal and the pipes dont slip all over

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    That banjo fitting is the turbo oil drain I don't think there is a copper washer on it. Could be worth sticking some ptfe tape around the thread
    Ooops, misread due to the word banjo. Was thinking oil feed where it comes out of the block. Apologies. There's no banjo fitting on the oil drain.

Turbo oil drain outlet - there are two sizes of outlet and thus two different sizes of that little 90 degree pipe. If you try to fit the larger pipe to the smaller outlet it leaks. Maybe that's a possibility? Also, you need one of those neoprene inner-coated pipes...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Ooops, misread due to the word banjo. Was thinking oil feed where it comes out of the block. Apologies. There's no banjo fitting on the oil drain.

Turbo oil drain outlet - there are two sizes of outlet and thus two different sizes of that little 90 degree pipe. If you try to fit the larger pipe to the smaller outlet it leaks. Maybe that's a possibility? Also, you need one of those neoprene inner-coated pipes...

Trevor.........you have just bought a little ray of sunshine into my life - This could well be the problem?!

I've just come in from trying to sort this leak ALL DAY!!

I've tried everything, and now i've just siliconed the hole banjo - it's all i could think to try.............

As a result i've now well and truely ruined the new 90 degree pipe, in the end i've just over tightened it and split it.........

In all honesty, its been a waste of a day, my arms are covered in cuts and burns from the turbo but its been a great day messing with the car in the sunshine

Once again thanks for your input guys, it is greatlt appreiciated

Post Thanks / Like

Could be the wrong size fitting like! measure it up and see, it should fit the pipe tight. Fitting the rubber pipe is always a sod of a job

Post Thanks / Like

Could be the wrong size fitting like! measure it up and see, it should fit the pipe tight. Fitting the rubber pipe is always a sod of a job

Yeah got to be honest, i really hope Trevor is right, because it isn't really a "tight" fit.

But what i don't understand is, surely its not pressurised return so the leak shouldn't be as brutal!

Post Thanks / Like

Just a few pics from today - any observations??

The ptfe perished instantly, maybe cheap crap ptfe or assuming maybe the heat from the turbo! either way, it didn't work

Post Thanks / Like

Also took a couple of the turbo turbine blades, some are a little bent! - Anything to worry about??

Theres minimal and i mean minimal side to side play in the shaft and zero back and forwards movement!

Post Thanks / Like

Its hard to tell in the pics but it looks like you have the larger ph2 sized fitting. All i can really suggest is use a narrow good brand jubilee clip, Clean everything with brake cleaner thoroughly so the pipe doesnt slip all over and keep your fingers crossed

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Brigsy..........fingers crossed mate

Post Thanks / Like

No probs.

The genuine OE part is quite expensive I think (the 90 degree bend pipe that is). It has a funny coloured inner (i.e a beige colour, not black). It's neoprene I think. It has to be like this due to the heat of the oil/turbo.

I'd take the outlet to Renault and see if they can supply a genuine hose.

Of course it could still be a leak from the fitting itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

Purchased a new oil return hose from Renault, unfortunately I STILL have the leak, it's not as bad, but i have siliconed the bolt and fixing (no doubt burning off).

So anyway, i'm going to book the car in for tracking & MOT - get it on the road and iron out all the little niggles.......

As for the oil leak,i'll try another fitting- probably a new one so as not to mess about!

I've uploaded a video of the car ticking over, and would appreciate peoples opnions/suggestions on the AFR readings??

Thanks again, and cheers for looking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0FkplJvOKY

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a compression fitin for the drain, if it isn't going in right & got nothing to 'pinch' it together it will leak. Can you twist or move the oil return once nipped up at all ?

Pretty sure you need a fitting that just screws in right up into the turbo as I bet that fitting isn't going in far enough to act as a compression fitting...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    Thats a compression fitin for the drain, if it isn't going in right & got nothing to 'pinch' it together it will leak. Can you twist or move the oil return once nipped up at all ?

Pretty sure you need a fitting that just screws in right up into the turbo as I bet that fitting isn't going in far enough to act as a compression fitting...
    No can't move anything once it's all in position.

The fitting is definately tight, and as you say, i think its not seating properly?

Will try another one or perhaps i'll send the turbo to turbo technics to see if they solve it!

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone comment on the afr readings?

Have noticed also that if i pump the excelerator the readings go straight into the 15's & 16's............?

Post Thanks / Like

i wouldnt worry about the afr readings with no load on the engine. You need to run it in for a few miles then check the afr while driving with a load on the engine and on boost.

Post Thanks / Like

i wouldnt worry about the afr readings with no load on the engine. You need to run it in for a few miles then check the afr while driving with a load on the engine and on boost.
    Hi Steve,

Cheers mate - Once i've got it MOT'd i'll pop down........be good to see you and the 5 and we'll go for a little cruise see what you think......

Hope alls well mate, i'll give you a buzz......

Post Thanks / Like

Still got the oil leak from the oil drain "area" so now have to suspect its dripping from the exhaust housing, was too dark to check properly.......

Managed to check the brakes and lights etc ready for MOT and am hopin to get it MOT'd next wkend

Post Thanks / Like

Latest little update,

Work,getting ready to move & enthusiam have slowed my progress. But at last i've sorted the feeking oil leak!!!(pics say it all!) Used Copper high temp sealent, and reakon for a more permenant fix i'll source some other compressions fittings if this doesn't last

All being well, will get it MOT'd on tuesday - still a few issues but National Day in the 5 is looking good

Cheers for looking

Post Thanks / Like

hi mate you still going the national day? when you planning gonig up there?

Post Thanks / Like

Failed MOT

*Master Cylinder Leaking

*N/S & O/S Sills - excessive corrosion

*Parking Brake below requirements

Few Advisory: Fuel & brake lines corroded+ nsf top strut bearing stiff etc etc etc

In short, although i'm gutted - cause wanted to show it off at national day - its kinda done me a favour, I'M SKINT

I'm moving and work is mega busy so just haven't got the time to give to the car at present.......

As of tonight i've now written myself a list of everything I want to do on the car, and will just do it as and when i can.......................

Cheers for looking

Post Thanks / Like

hi mate you still going the national day? when you planning gonig up there?

Hi mate,

I'll call u tmrw............

Post Thanks / Like

Testing the waters for any potentional buyers...........

Sad to admit, but i've just lost the love for the car, and my priorities have changed.

Once the bits and pieces have been done to get it through MOT, i'll advertise it properly, or if anyone is keen drop me a PM, come have a look and we may be able to strike a deal.

Cheers................Alex

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

How much you looking for??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sammo_gtt View Post
    How much you looking for??

Finished with MOT????? or As is???

PM'd

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking car this. Shame it became a chore

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking car this. Shame it became a chore
    It is a lovely car but i'd obviously say that

But seriously, it is a good example............

All in all, i've not touched it for over a year now...........Its not a chore to me, but i just do not have time to give the car...........

I've moved 3 times, business is good and i'm branching out on my own, getting married, starting a family......new home.................

Its just the wrong time for me............simple as that..............

Post Thanks / Like

Well funk me, its been a while - My life has changed so much in the last 12 months,that i'd felt a bit bogged down with everything..........but...............things change, and i'm happy to say i'm keeping the car

All in all, i've been a busy boy

To get it through MOT now, all I need is to get the n/s sills repaired, and this time i'm paying someone to do......having burnt the shiiite out of my arms and head and trying to work 2 feet off the ground, with 3 feet working area, enoughs enough

The projects still on-going, carpets,interior etc etc, but it times to start enjoying it

Think the pictures tell the full story

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

As has been said before: POR-15 is absolutley brilliant stuff

But i'm still scrapping it off my skin 10 days later

'use with caution!!!! cover yourself head to toe'

Cheers for looking

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Alex, feck me the clocks have 0 miles on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Looking good Alex, feck me the clocks have 0 miles on
    Cheers James.................

Yeah the original clocks were playing up and these appeared

Just cluccking to use the thing now

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff

Post Thanks / Like

cracking news you've seen the light and your keeping it mate i had a feeling you would never let it go hurry up and finish it now mate and get it to some meets again well done with progress

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    cracking news you've seen the light and your keeping it mate i had a feeling you would never let it go hurry up and finish it now mate and get it to some meets again well done with progress

Had the light shine on me for a change - its just been a great change in fortune, thats allowed me to keep it........and at last crack on

I'll be down again Phil............i'm holding you to a ride in your motor

Post Thanks / Like

Looks a proper job mate. Definatly worth getting bodywork done properly. Will be good for years to come now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kris M View Post
    Looks a proper job mate. Definatly worth getting bodywork done properly. Will be good for years to come now
    AGREED

It took an age to get all the old ****e etc from the underside,but hopefully put alot more years into the body

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff

Post Thanks / Like

New red carpet in - Check
    Spare wheel and cage/carrier refurbed and powder coated - Check

I'll upload soon........but the red carpet looks soooooo good

Next step is to get it to the body shop for the inner and outer sill repair, then MOT time

Its finally starting to progress.....just in time for winter

Post Thanks / Like

Little update,not a great deal done today buuuuuttt........

Got all the bodykit off so the bodyshop can come and have a look and see whats needed to get the sill done, and also see the extent of the rust for myself too!

Re-routed the AFR to where the clock was, few tweaks to the engine bay,and hopefully the pictures do the red carpet justice.............it looks fooking sweeeet, even if i do say so myself

Cant upload pics for some reason?! - Will try again later!