Post Thanks / Like

Radiator fan doesn't kick in

Yet another problem
    My radiator fan decided not to spin anymore all of a sudden.
    So... I wired the fan directly to the battery: and it worked, so that rules out a faulty fan motor.
    Then, I hooked up my old standard thermostat (I have a low temp one now) and dipped it in boiling water. I heard the relay click, but no dice.
    Finally, I short circuited the thermostat... and again I heard nothing but clicks from the relay.
    Is it therefore correct to assume that the relay is at fault here? Because it does click.......

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Radiator fan doesn't kick in

yes, could be the relay or it could be that the switched side of the relay is not getting live, or that the live from the relay is not making it as far as the fan. the next test should be to remove the relay and bypass the switched contacts in the relay socket, see if the fan kicks in. Or, just stick a new relay in from something else in the bay to test it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    yes, could be the relay or it could be that the switched side of the relay is not getting live, or that the live from the relay is not making it as far as the fan. the next test should be to remove the relay and bypass the switched contacts in the relay socket, see if the fan kicks in. Or, just stick a new relay in from something else in the bay to test it!
    Allright... I'll try a new relay first, because I have a brand new wiring loom... so that can't be the problem, if you're implying a broken wire somewhere...
    Last edited by jantheeven; 02-03-2010 at 22:26.

Post Thanks / Like

Installed the new relay today... fan works again...
    Great success