Post Thanks / Like

2 Milestones passed today! - MOT/190000 miles

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hello there,

My car has just passed its MOT, the guy gave it a good 1 hour going over and found only a perished rear wiper blade and the handbrake needs minor readjusting, phew, the thing is still safe to drive.

I also passed the 190,000 mile mark today, all on original engine and turbo (touch wood).

My question is that my car passed the suspension test, he took 10 mins checking and using a machine that wobbled the car around etc, etc but I have noticed that when I drive the car and go over slight potholes minor bumps in the road I can hear a knocking noise (been happening for 6 months + now) the knocking does not occur when turning, only when going over slight bumps/sleeping policeman etc.

Does this sound like the Suspension Top Strut mounts gone or could it be something else? If it is the Top mounts, how much to replace at a garage? any ideas? I'm not a mechanic but don't want to take it to a garage to spend large wads of cash if I don't need too as it has just passed a strict MOT.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 Milestones passed today! - MOT/190000 miles

Proper mileage

The knocking could be worn top hat or bush. check bushes/bottom balljoint/track rod ends too

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

As above a small knock on mine was a smashed in top hat. My old 5 was on or near 160k, would love to see it go near the 200k mark but these cars seem to get used less and less. My current ones got 74k on and it's stopped clicking over. Oh well :P

Post Thanks / Like

If his tester didnt pick it up then it may not be the main components. Anti roll bar components make a slight clunk when going over bumps, check the inner/outer bushes for any play. Top mounts are a pain really, there arent any anymore, cgb sell second hand ones, theres a few new ones around but they sell for good money. We'd prob charge about £25 a side to fit, i wouldnt pay anyone any more than£30-£40 a side to fit, its about 30mins a side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    If his tester didnt pick it up then it may not be the main components. Anti roll bar components make a slight clunk when going over bumps, check the inner/outer bushes for any play. Top mounts are a pain really, there arent any anymore, cgb sell second hand ones, theres a few new ones around but they sell for good money. We'd prob charge about £25 a side to fit, i wouldnt pay anyone any more than£30-£40 a side to fit, its about 30mins a side.
    Thanks for the advice. The MOT guy checked the track rod ends, ball joints etc. I take when previous posters say Top Hat they mean Top strut mounts? How will I know they have worn? Do I uncover the plastic covers and have a look or can only a Garage check (have all the right tools etc?) You would have thought I would have known this given I have had the same car since Oct 1998!! but there you go, like i said not that mechanically capable.

Thanks again.