Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

'Limited Mileage' Classic Insurance Policy

Another insurance question i know, but!...
    Having searched through the threads i was "quoated happy" as a result by Footman James on a Classic Policy:
    2yrs NCB, 26yrs old and in not the best of Postcodes: £352.20 for a limited mileage of 6,000miles
    BUT my question is, and heres me wearing the dunce hat, how do they confirm the mileage?
    It'll be a bit difficult in anyway as my speedo has been out since i bought the GT Turbo and has been for the previous 2 MOTs.
    I haven't had a Classic Policy before so am not the most clued up hence the post but want to confirm a few things before possibly going ahead...

Trader
    Footman James Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'Limited Mileage' Classic Insurance Policy

First post!

Hi. When you say your speedo is out....does it not work at all or is it just inaccurate?

Post Thanks / Like

Have you asked FJ themselves?

Have you also advised them you're an RTOC member to obtain the discount?

Post Thanks / Like

I was just about to introduce Dave to you but there he is!

So you know, David is our Footman James rep

Post Thanks / Like

i've literally just cancelled my raiders admiral policy, for a performance direct classic one...

admiral were £700 all in all, performance direct were £264 all in for a year... crazy to think a raider is a classic!

thought sub £265 for a 25yr old with 3 points using it for daily commuting was pretty cheap and too cheap to miss!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    i've literally just cancelled my raiders admiral policy, for a performance direct classic one...

admiral were £700 all in all, performance direct were £264 all in for a year... crazy to think a raider is a classic!

thought sub £265 for a 25yr old with 3 points using it for daily commuting was pretty cheap and too cheap to miss!
    £265 ... wow thats aswome .. I did some quotes via , confused.com and thought hey seem as though am now over 25 .... Wrong quotes where around the £1000-2000 .
    Them places blatantly try to pull your trousers down but £265 I've got to get me some of that

Trader
    Footman James Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by m5tt View Post
    £265 ... wow thats aswome .. I did some quotes via , confused.com and thought hey seem as though am now over 25 .... Wrong quotes where around the £1000-2000 .
    Them places blatantly try to pull your trousers down but £265 I've got to get me some of that
    That's the problem with price comparison sites, they're no substitute for a proper broker with an understanding of the market and can online quoting can onoly cope with certain parameters. Give us a call on 0844 826 4545 and mention you're in the RTOC for a discounted classic car quote

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_FJ View Post

That's the problem with price comparison sites, they're no substitute for a proper broker with an understanding of the market and can online quoting can onoly cope with certain parameters. Give us a call on 0844 826 4545 and mention you're in the RTOC for a discounted classic car quote
    Dave, You'll appreciate this..........remember this, as i'm about to start up my policy again for the summer.

Footman James are class, i've posted on here a number of times how little i pay to insure my 5. £152, fully comp, all mods declared, yes i'm limited to 3k miles a year but for what i need this is more than enough. i was 27 when i took out the policy and the car is garaged and this obviously helps.

but for that cost no one else can touch them..........gets my vote.

Trader
    Footman James Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J8TRO View Post
    Dave, You'll appreciate this..........remember this, as i'm about to start up my policy again for the summer.

Footman James are class, i've posted on here a number of times how little i pay to insure my 5. £152, fully comp, all mods declared, yes i'm limited to 3k miles a year but for what i need this is more than enough. i was 27 when i took out the policy and the car is garaged and this obviously helps.

but for that cost no one else can touch them..........gets my vote.

Thanks for that J8TRO - always good to hear from a happy customer - all too often you only hear what you're NOT getting right!!! Make sure you mention the club when you organise your renewal to get your club discount

Trader
    Footman James Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5GTTurbo View Post
    Another insurance question i know, but!...
    Having searched through the threads i was "quoated happy" as a result by Footman James on a Classic Policy:
    2yrs NCB, 26yrs old and in not the best of Postcodes: £352.20 for a limited mileage of 6,000miles
    BUT my question is, and heres me wearing the dunce hat, how do they confirm the mileage?
    It'll be a bit difficult in anyway as my speedo has been out since i bought the GT Turbo and has been for the previous 2 MOTs.
    I haven't had a Classic Policy before so am not the most clued up hence the post but want to confirm a few things before possibly going ahead...

To answer the OP's original question - as the policy you've chosen is a restricted mileage one you would be asked for your mileage at the inception of your policy. In the event of a claim your mileage would be checked again. If it transpired that there was no way to actually check your mileage your claim could possibly be refused. It might be better to take out an unlimited mileage policy in this case, you'd be surprised at how little extra it might cost - or you could always fix your speedo! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Ah well there has been a transplant with the gearbox so i cant connct the speedo cable to the box, thats the issue...
    I did say that i was a member of the RTOC but the advisor had to check with his supervisor and then returned to say they had not agreed to have a discount with RTOC membership.
    I have tried an unlimited mileage quote and was told £1123 which is the general figure with other insurers, all above the £1k mark

Post Thanks / Like

i only pay £500 TPFT, with all mods declared, 4000miles limited, at 21 with 1 years NCB,, with Graham sykes

Trader
    Footman James Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5GTTurbo View Post
    Ah well there has been a transplant with the gearbox so i cant connct the speedo cable to the box, thats the issue...
    I did say that i was a member of the RTOC but the advisor had to check with his supervisor and then returned to say they had not agreed to have a discount with RTOC membership.
    I have tried an unlimited mileage quote and was told £1123 which is the general figure with other insurers, all above the £1k mark
    Hmmmm....i'm not very happy about that...especially having checked with a supervisor....can you PM me with your quote reference / full name / postcode and i'll look into that for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_FJ View Post

Hmmmm....i'm not very happy about that...especially having checked with a supervisor....can you PM me with your quote reference / full name / postcode and i'll look into that for you.
    I will do 2moro when i have the ref. number to hand...
    Many Thanks

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

DaveFJ im 21 and when i looked into insuring my five footman and james could do nothing for me they was more expensive than most is this because of my age. any help would be great as i pay a fortune.

Thanks mat

Post Thanks / Like

Matthew, you're probably best phoning them on the number above as he would need to take all your details anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I need to get in touch with FJ, ecar charge over £600 for my GTE and thats with full no claims (9 years or something)

Trader
    Footman James Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew Hall View Post
    DaveFJ im 21 and when i looked into insuring my five footman and james could do nothing for me they was more expensive than most is this because of my age. any help would be great as i pay a fortune.

Thanks mat
    Hi Matt

There's only one advantage for us old folk (i'm 36 lol) and that's cheaper car insurance. Hot Hatches and under 25's are always going to combine to make expensive insurance - sorry

Trader
    Footman James Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiff_lee View Post
    I think I need to get in touch with FJ, ecar charge over £600 for my GTE and thats with full no claims (9 years or something)
    Ouch!! Give us a try when your renewal comes through. £600 sounds a bit steep and don't forget we can give you classic insurance on any car over 15 years old and make sure you mention the club to get the discount

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

well i remember FJ couldnt do nothing for me i didnt mention the rtoc as i wasnt a member and i dont think it would have made a difference on the price i was quoted. Wat discount do you get for being a member.
    I will try again in november as ill have 3 years no claims hopefully as i dont intent on pranging my baby.lol.
    For me i cant wait till i get over 25 just for car insurance means i can just keep going bigger and better.

Thanks mat

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds ace, I'm glad this thread came up as I'll try FJ next time I have a classic car.

However, the idea that a claim might be refused if mileage couldn't be verified is a bit worrying. HIC (Herts), state that if you go over your limited mileage in a year and then have an accident, the excess simply goes up by £xx. In my case and in many cases, that's £400. To be left without insurance because I happened to admit after and accident that my mileometer had seized in the meantime, would be a big concern. I'm suprprised FJ don't just say, ok if you aren't able to verify the new mileage in the event of a claim, the excess will jump by <blah blah>, just like HIC.

I used to have a 1000 mile policy with HIC for the Ph1 (which is around what I did). The discount was huge and therefore the price excellent (£140). I knew that if I went over my mileage (and I did some years), I was talking a risk on a big excess but I would never have taken it if I'd have thought I wouldn't have been covered under certain circumstances!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

is there a age limit for classic insurance for the person getting the insurance out?
    as mine runs out in 3 months and will soon be looking for new quotes

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asbo View Post

is there a age limit for classic insurance for the person getting the insurance out?
    as mine runs out in 3 months and will soon be looking for new quotes

i think it goes on the age of the car that you are trying to insur

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post

ello there i have a raider as well the last time i got this insur i was told £566 full com fully modded thats everything about £45.000 worth of mods all cos i have a tracker and snap off steering wheel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raider_gtt View Post
    i think it goes on the age of the car that you are trying to insur
    No, there are often limits on the age of he driver.

Footman James specify 25 years old with a minimum of 5 years ownership of a full UK driving licence.

Post Thanks / Like

wont insure my car said it was too powerful and modified too much lol

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm.

I contacted FJ back in December for a quote on old whitey; the lady on the phone explained that a 'classic' policy would only be given on cars of 20+ years of age, which is fair enough, and not a problem, as whitey just squeezed into that age bracket.

However, expecting a cheapy quote, I thought I had been time-warped to April 1st when I was quoted ~£450! Now if that's based on the fact that I'm an old fart, clean licence, been driving since '93, hence full ncb, live in a nice area postcode, and whitey is completely standard bar a Scorpion exhaust, then I'm struggling to see why it was such a high quote?

Needless to say, Elephant quoted me low £200's & I went with them. That's quite a saving I'd say.

And contrary to the aforementioned (on the other thread), FJ weren't interested whatsoever in offering me a multi-car policy for whitey & the Evo, thus when the Evo's insurance was up for renewal, Elephant (or via their sister company, Admiral) didn't have a problem amending the policy to a multi-car jobby so as to include the Evo as well. Job done.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing things have changed since then with FJ as their websites states classic car policies can be provided on vehciles over the age of 15 years old. Get in touch with Dave_FJ and see what he can do

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Hmmm.

I contacted FJ back in December for a quote on old whitey; the lady on the phone explained that a 'classic' policy would only be given on cars of 20+ years of age, which is fair enough, and not a problem, as whitey just squeezed into that age bracket.

However, expecting a cheapy quote, I thought I had been time-warped to April 1st when I was quoted ~£450! Now if that's based on the fact that I'm an old fart, clean licence, been driving since '93, hence full ncb, live in a nice area postcode, and whitey is completely standard bar a Scorpion exhaust, then I'm struggling to see why it was such a high quote?

Needless to say, Elephant quoted me low £200's & I went with them. That's quite a saving I'd say.

And contrary to the aforementioned (on the other thread), FJ weren't interested whatsoever in offering me a multi-car policy for whitey & the Evo, thus when the Evo's insurance was up for renewal, Elephant (or via their sister company, Admiral) didn't have a problem amending the policy to a multi-car jobby so as to include the Evo as well. Job done.

they didn't respond well to the line "what are your mates rates?" ???

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D4WNO View Post

Footman James specify 25 years old with a minimum of 5 years ownership of a full UK driving licence.
    O WELL I HAVE HAD MY LICENCE FOR 5 YEARS BUT I AM TO YOUNG AT ONLY 22 I WILL HAVE TO STAY WITH MY £1300 TPTF POLICY I HAVE AT THE MOMENT LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing things have changed since then with FJ as their websites states classic car policies can be provided on vehciles over the age of 15 years old. Get in touch with Dave_FJ and see what he can do
    Too late unfortunately, as I've already insured whitey (and the Evo) with Elephant.

Post Thanks / Like

I did mean for next year, lol

Post Thanks / Like

My policy on the GTA has just expired ...Not in a rush as it's still in 200 bits but ...I also need to look at the putting the 21 on the policy as well .At the minute I'm just a named driver for it on my partners insurance .
    So I need cover for both on unlimited mileage with a named driver .....
    I also need to be covered third party on anything else I drive .Is that all doable before I waste 20 mins on hold
    I'm very old ,7 ncd and garaged ....

Post Thanks / Like

They quote 'modern' cars too, my insurance is due for renewal next month so it might be worth a shot to see what they can do

Post Thanks / Like

David did tell me that you're more likely to achieve a better quote by phoning them

Post Thanks / Like

I did mean for next year, lol
    Aii, but as I mentioned before, they wasn't interested in a multi-car policy for whitey & the Evo, so I'm guessing it'll be status quo come next year.

Trader
    Footman James Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - it's been busy on here since I looked in this morning!!!!

In regard to multi-car policies - it is an option we offer - must be a minimum of 3 cars with the majority of these being classic - this is over 15 years old

In all cases, for classic insurance, drivers must be over 25 years of age - sorry

Post Thanks / Like

So I've got to buy another car then ?
    Sounds good to me but I don't think I'll get that past Me-Dawny .......

Trader
    Footman James Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    So I've got to buy another car then ?
    Sounds good to me but I don't think I'll get that past Me-Dawny .......

Always worth a try

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

really didnt no that thought it was just the car spec they wanted
    as im 31 its a lot diffaint then

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Too late unfortunately, as I've already insured whitey (and the Evo) with Elephant.
    y not you got a great deal i would say wont think you could get any better than that mart

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

To answer the original question about how do they check mileage...

In the event of a claim the Insurance may ask to see the MOT (most likely on a limited mileage policy), also when taking out the policy they should ask for the cars current mileage... so if you say 10,000miles on the and your unlucky ebough to have a claim within 6 months & your clocks have done over 13,000miles (which is less than 6k limit) be very carefull as they will estimate your mileage over 6k per callander year... thus voiding your insurance(only if the insurance company wanted be a right c*nt)...

I always say my car is used more for seasonal driving.. ie: more miles in the summer than winter... blah blah...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raider_gtt View Post
    y not you got a great deal i would say wont think you could get any better than that mart
    True, but then I like to support companies that support rtoc, hence if FJ had either A) matched Elephant's quote or got v near to it, and/or B) entertained a multi-car policy, I'd have happily gone with them.

Post Thanks / Like

I only need third party cover on the GTA or 21...... I'm 100% sure that if I ever had a bump it would be written off .I would never get the money back I've spent and wouldn't expect to .
    I really only need it to be legal ......

Post Thanks / Like

Mines up for renewal now, and as HIC quote has gone up slightly i'll try FJ. Im getting on (33 in April ) so hopefully will be painless!

Post Thanks / Like

thread bump

to insure anything at the mo is rediculous!!!

i just tried performance direct for a standard 5 turbo, 750 quid!!!!!!! FC, 2yrs ncb, a rated postcode, commuting and 15k a year and i'm 26! WTF????

whats happened to the insuracne market, its frankly sickening to think how unlikely a pay out even is if you ding your car, not even worth having it unless you maim/kill someone or hit a veyron.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    thread bump

to insure anything at the mo is rediculous!!!

i just tried performance direct for a standard 5 turbo, 750 quid!!!!!!! FC, 2yrs ncb, a rated postcode, commuting and 15k a year and i'm 26! WTF????

whats happened to the insuracne market, its frankly sickening to think how unlikely a pay out even is if you ding your car, not even worth having it unless you maim/kill someone or hit a veyron.
    I had to jump through hoops with adrian flux and thier under writers Ensign. Took the piss when they basically accused me of having the accident 6 months b4 i said i did.

Post Thanks / Like

gotta say footman james came up trumps with my insurance last year, garaged and standard, 3k miles p.a fully comp at £150 an thats with the mrs on it too (not allowed to actually drive it tho) top drawer but then i am 32 so thats probably it. only prob at the time was that the RTOC discount wasnt available on the site as the drop down menu didnt have it on it so i just chose a renault (ish) club and carried on was another down side in that as it was a flat rate insurance policy (not sure what that means) they could not acru N.C.B they said.
    but still as its only 150 quid im well chuffed, i already got two fives so multi car means i gotta buy another one happy days .

plus i just saw that my latest purchase has got some original radbourne racing number plates NIIIIICE im keeping them on it

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thats good Lee. I rung them up and they said no due to having more than 10% over stock power. :'(

are you at the pod on Friday?

Post Thanks / Like

Footman james are beyond amazing. Rang them today, just to find out a price with no intention of getting it strait away but they quoted me £130 with mods declared. Only 1500 miles but thats all i do. I'm 26 so im more than chuffed with the quote and took it strait away.