Post Thanks / Like

Boot brace too short ?

Hi ive just bought a ktec boot brace off ebay, ive lined it up and its about an inch maybe a bit more too short .

will it bull together when its bolted in or will i need a spacer or something

cheers Dan , ps forgive late replys as my internet at home ist kaput

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boot brace too short ?

Have you still got all the carpet and other material in the boot? if not, this is why its too short

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Have you still got all the carpet and other material in the boot? if not, this is why its too short
    ahhhh horse sh't , no i dont, can i make it fit? im thinking the arches may stretch a bit , or is it 50 washers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan y View Post
    ahhhh horse sh't , no i dont, can i make it fit? im thinking the arches may stretch a bit , or is it 50 washers.
    Wouldn't go for washers but maybe something of similar material as the carpet just to pad it out abit.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't go for washers but maybe something of similar material as the carpet just to pad it out abit.
    Out of interest Bigfoot, why would you not go for washers?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrixNFlix View Post
    Out of interest Bigfoot, why would you not go for washers?
    Surface area it will be pushing against. Any slight twist in body work and only a small area trying to stop it, it will just dent the metal and do nothing. the more area its over the bigger load it can take and not pierce through the body work. Saying that how much trist does the back of the car actually see when cornering, is it just for show use really.
    Last edited by Bigfoot; 01-03-2010 at 16:40.

Post Thanks / Like

Surface area it will be pushing against. Any slight twist in body work and only a small area trying to stop it, it will just dent the metal and do nothing. the more area its over the bigger load it can take and not piece through the body work. Saying that how much trist does the back of the car actually see when cornering, is it just for show use really.
    Some good points bigfoot
    Does anyone know how much the top of the back arches flex?

Post Thanks / Like

i had this problem a couple of yrs ago when i fitted one to one of mine what i did is get some acoustic material and recovered the arches only not a hard job if you have got patience to do it properly this worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like

So the lining/carpet on the arches makes up for almost an inch? If its too short to make contact with the arch itself I fail to see how bolting flush to the carpet is effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiff_lee View Post
    So the lining/carpet on the arches makes up for almost an inch? If its too short to make contact with the arch itself I fail to see how bolting flush to the carpet is effective.
    effective? it's only there to stop the dog sliding around if you don't have any back seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    effective? it's only there to stop the dog sliding around if you don't have any back seats.
    lol is that a bite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    Thats a nice vision i have in my head now.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, surely it should go from metal to metal anyway , not bolted to the carpet like.

but im gonna try and find a block of alloy and make some spacers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan y View Post
    yeah, surely it should go from metal to metal anyway , not bolted to the carpet like.

but im gonna try and find a block of alloy and make some spacers
    That is what I was trying to get at but I probably didn't make it very well. Carpet or no carpet the brace should tighten to the arch anyway so I can't see what difference it should make.

meh, alloy spacers

Post Thanks / Like

i used exhaust flanges on mine to space it

Post Thanks / Like

t maybe something of similar material as the carpet just to pad it out abit.
    An inch or more fabric padding to make up the gap for a metal brace. My goodness, this is perhaps the shonkiest piece of advice I've seen on here for a while. There ought to be an award or something.

Boot braces don't do much anyway. The best solution to get it to fit the best however is as mentioned: alloy blocks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    An inch or more fabric padding to make up the gap for a metal brace. My goodness, this is perhaps the shonkiest piece of advice I've seen on here for a while. There ought to be an award or something.
    Well you weren't that good at maths then, an inch of padding each side will make it too wide. So your looking at half an inch, and what do you recon was in there originally, sound deadening and then the phone material which will make up the half inch. So for stupid replies I think you have won that by far

Post Thanks / Like

Surely though relying on a piece of carpet to bridge the gap between the car body and a brace is just bad anyway? I mean if a rollcage leg came up short you wouldnt starting putting carpet underneath to make up the difference especially half an inch worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely though relying on a piece of carpet to bridge the gap between the car body and a brace is just bad anyway? I mean if a rollcage leg came up short you wouldnt starting putting carpet underneath to make up the difference especially half an inch worth.
    Better remove my roll cage then, as I have carpet inbetween the cage and the metal work. Once compressed there is not going to be much difference really. Plus the rear bar going across is just for show it doesn't actually twist, mine is made out of an exhaust pipe and plates welded either side. Does the job

Post Thanks / Like

Well you weren't that good at maths then, an inch of padding each side will make it too wide. So your looking at half an inch, and what do you recon was in there originally, sound deadening and then the phone material which will make up the half inch. So for stupid replies I think you have won that by far
    You are making yourself look a right doofus bud.

I said an inch padding, don't you think I realise that we're both talking an inch in total, i.e. split between each side?

There was maybe a quarter inch total between the two sides on a ph2 GTT. Crushing an eighth either side might have been do-able with a well-fitting brace but the point is that the brace is tight fit to something solid, not to bridge an inch gap with fabric padding of some sort, you'd pull the arches inwards as the fabric crushed. What a complete banana.

Incidentally, I don't ever remember Renault releasing the GTT with a phone. Foam perhaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Better remove my roll cage then, as I have carpet inbetween the cage and the metal work. Once compressed there is not going to be much difference really. Plus the rear bar going across is just for show it doesn't actually twist, mine is made out of an exhaust pipe and plates welded either side. Does the job
    Of course the carpet will compress down but you are missing my point entirely, perhaps using a roll cage was a bad example as it is only being pulled down to one surface rather than being bolted between two ala the boot brace.

As Trev said though once the fabric is compressed it will just pull the sides in anyway so carpet or no carpet its irrelevant.

Also if there isn't much difference when the carpet is compressed anyway why the need for half inch either side?

Post Thanks / Like

Weld a couple of plates in either side. Like someone said its just for show.

Im sure there was a post on here the other week, someone had copied the k teks design and was selling rear braces on ebay with the option of a spacer kit.

phil

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys , pritty sure thats the guy i bought it off , ill pm him , cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    i used exhaust flanges on mine to space it

what sort were they m8

Post Thanks / Like

just regular exhaust flanges, but if i remember i think the local powerflow made my brace anyway, so i think my original post was pretty pointless looking back

Post Thanks / Like

still looking for some spacers for this brace . the guy i got it off (slysy) promised me a pair but nothing doing and not heard from him in ages.

Has anyone got the equipment , resourses etc to knock me up a pair ?
    What i need is 2 plates (pref alloy) 10mm thick, the same shape as the ends of a ktec brace but not essential i could live with square ones.

any help would be welcomed , and ofcourse ill pay for them etc.

thanks - Dan