Post Thanks / Like

Advice for removing bung from downpipe???

Hi peeps
    I have a bms 1 piece downpipe fitted to my five, trying to remove the bung to fit a Bosch sensor for my wideband.

The bung will not move and I'm scared of shearing the b1tch off

any tips please. I have tried removing it after a good thrash so the downpipe is red hot but it still won't turn with a 3 foot extension bar.

really don't want to snap my engine mounts either.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice for removing bung from downpipe???

what type of bung have you got, is it a standard bolt head or an allen key head ??

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

i killed loggs lm1 o2 sensor in my first bms, got stuck in there like a mo fo.. boris offered to sort it foc cuz he's a nice fella, but i passed it on to a mate and he sorted it out himself..

if your having problems it might be worth dropping the man himself a quick pm, he should be more than happy to give advice or held out

Post Thanks / Like

I know its hot after a good thrashing, but maybe heat it up untill its glowing with a blow torch. I know with most stuburn nut/bolts this works a treat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kris M View Post
    what type of bung have you got, is it a standard bolt head or an allen key head ??
    Krissy it's a standard bolt head. Can you remember if the downpipe and bung was brand new when you put it on???

Post Thanks / Like

Heat the area around the bung and not the bung directly. Then try again. Also try lots of penetrating fluid but give it plenty fo time to work. Make sure the socket is on square and tight then impact it with a hammer to shock the threads then try to undo it. Try holdin the socket bar whilst a friend hits it with a hammer also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HULK View Post
    Krissy it's a standard bolt head. Can you remember if the downpipe and bung was brand new when you put it on???
    yeah it was new when we fitted it Jim

Post Thanks / Like

If you heat it up then try to cool the bolt only with a little water, the bolt should contract while the thread expands. then use your hulk strength

Post Thanks / Like

i got in touch with boris after i removed the bung from my down pipe (note that it wasnt even used at this point) it was a b1tch to remove, ask scoff & chris hebden. when i finally got the bug off it had chewed all the thread up.

i told boris about this and he told me to sent it back to him, i did and he sorted it straight away. i think i recall him saying he welded the boss to the downpipe with the bung in the boss, so maybe warpage or weld spatter was to blame.

he sorted it no problem though

Post Thanks / Like

The first boss i welded into my downpipe, i put too much heat into it with the welder and distorted the threads. Had to re-tap the threads afterwards to allow the bung to screw in. The second one i did, i just tacked it once, then cooled it, then tacked again, etc etc...didnt effect the thread that time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    i got in touch with boris after i removed the bung from my down pipe (note that it wasnt even used at this point) it was a b1tch to remove, ask scoff & chris hebden. when i finally got the bug off it had chewed all the thread up.

i told boris about this and he told me to sent it back to him, i did and he sorted it straight away. i think i recall him saying he welded the boss to the downpipe with the bung in the boss, so maybe warpage or weld spatter was to blame.

he sorted it no problem though
    Very interesting Raj. Looks like I'm gunna have to spend a good few hours getting it red hot and loosen it up as much as possible. Chewing up threads is the last thing I want.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I will give it another go next weekend.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

plenty of heat and wind it out, as said. chances are though that if it's stuck fast now the thread will need attention anyway. run a tap through it once your done and use a new cap, it'll be fine.