Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Project, "long term project"

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hello guys newbie here, been floating around for sometime, purchased a totally standard'ish R5 GT a while back now, an starting to get into it a bit. Bought it blind, was stored for 4-5 years so knew I may have a job on my hands, although from first view body looks pretty solid. Mechanically I don't mind although having ripped the head off first job, found it quite hard work with all the pipe work, god knows how im gonna get it back together.
    Well anyway, head gasket was gone, kinda thought so with all the orange over the engine, so will renew that, an get head skimme. Also Turbo looks knackered, ive attached pics, what do you guys think? crack gone a bit to far?

Anyway, i'll be restoring it back to total standard, so hopefully you can help me out a bit on here. It'll be a long term project as I have a 10 week old new arrival, so obviously thats my priority to start, but I'll be finding the time to nip to my parents house where its stored to do bits an pieces over time. Cheers!

Last edited by Bourne74; 17-05-2015 at 21:50.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project, "long term project"

Welcome along mate.

Have you got a haynes manual, blue workshop version is good, or normal green one, rest of the info you need is right here, just a book is easier to take with you.

Headgasket wise go with the Courteco/Mellior blue head gasket with steel rings around piston sections, R11402 is part no from GSF. Also get head compression test done when skimmed, minimum thickness is 73mm or it will alter compression when re-fitted.

Unable to see the pics at moment, please re-load. Congratultations! grab a few hours where you can and you'll see the progress, look forward to seeing some pics!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers chap thanks for info already. Seem to be having problems uplaoding pics, they are just saved to file on my laptop, any easy way to upload?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Bourne74; 17-05-2015 at 22:20.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you think of the turbo guys, gone to far with the cracks??

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They normally crack there, that shouldn't be a problem.

Looks like a nice base of a car to start off with. Shame about the hole in the bumper and non standard grill as these are going to set you back a bit getting it back to original

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think ive managed to source a grill, though your right about the bumper, shame really as its even still got the pimpley effect too. I guess I can either fill it and paint, or look out for an original.
    That turbo has cracked right down to the opening of the fan blades and a little down that shaft, will this still be ok. Looking at it with my limited (i admit) knowledge, looks about done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne74 View Post

Cheers chap thanks for info already. Seem to be having problems uplaoding pics, they are just saved to file on my laptop, any easy way to upload?
    No worried fella, anything else just ask away, good work getting the pics sorted, looks a good clean black 5, very oe .

Post Thanks / Like

That turbo has cracked right down to the opening of the fan blades and a little down that shaft, will this still be ok. Looking at it with my limited (i admit) knowledge, looks about done.
    The turbine housings on these do crack in this way, it's extremely common and doesn't usually cause any problems. You're right though, the crack that leads down to the blades does seem quite significant.

The question really is, are you having any trouble with the turbo? If not, don't worry. It will soon let you know if it lets go.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a nice car. As others have said, the crack near the penny on the turbo is normal and doesnt really affect things.

Bit too late now for you I guess, but when I did the head gasket on my car for the first time, what I did was to take loads of photos of the engine bay, and I even video`d it. Then label everything up with little stickers so you know where it all goes back.

Finally, good luck getting it all done with a 10 week old. I decided to start getting my 5 back on the road in May 2014, when my little one was about 5 months old. I managed to make really good progress up until Sept 2014, but just havent had any spare time at all since then, so thats 7 months since I last touched it.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well managed to get a bit more done today. Removed the head and ancillaries ready for the the rest of the engine to lift out. Head don't look to bad though will need a skim and clean up. Liners look ruff, hopefully they will clean up, obviously had the water in them for years. Found it a bit of a mission with all the wiring and pipe work, looks hard work getting it all back together, though I have took lots of pictures which may help. My plan next is to get the crane from work, remove the block an start the painting/cleaning process.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Got back on it today, finally took the engine out cleaned up a bit ready for paint. Need to drop sump off tomorrow and remove pistons see if I can revive the rusty liners with a bit of a honing. Also tried removed timing chain cover to clean/paint that up, but unsure if you have to remove inner pulley before removal of cover?? Also will sump drop off with all bolts taken out, seems to be jammed around crank seal?
    Always loads to do but very little time, can see this taking a while, still need to strip engine bay out and get that painted up, subframe etc. Ideally want to build as close to oe spec as possible. Not sure yet what colour to paint the engine block, maybe silver though will have to match colour of mounts/brackets, which im thinking may paint gold.
    Few pics as always of progress, if anything looks suspect please let me know, still flapping about it all going back togther to be honest, but plenty of time I guess.
    Cheers guys

Post Thanks / Like

Need to remove inner pulley/woodruff key to get timing chain off. Sump is held on by the 10mm bolts, will need a pull/tap with a rubber mallet to break sump sealant. Any colour is good for block apart from white as ends up pink! if oe look maybe go for black?

Empty engine bay look familiar from when I did mine 7 years ago now lol.

Good work mate, keep it going.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Managed to get engine stripped down the weekend, unfortunately pistons were rusted in liners, like welded, got them out with a drift but didn't look pretty. Took them to work and cleaned them all up, came up really well as you can see. Honed the liners too, came up like new with no damage. It was all looking good until I got one of the professionals at work to fit my new piston rings. He managed to snap 2 of the pistons where the old rings fit on To be fair to him they were well siezed on, but can't help thinking if I did it myself with a bit of heat I may have not been so heavy handed. Ohh well maybe its a blessing as im thinking they may have broken at some stage in the engine as the metal on the pistons must have been a little brittle after sitting in the liner in water for almost 4-5 years.
    Attached pictures as standard.
    Thanks to Mr Raider for the info on the timing chain, sorted that.
    Is it a long shot to ask if anyone has some standard spare pistons without rings I could buy, or is it best just to go to Mike. Also im after one of them wiring harnesses of that French dude if anyone has a link. Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Lowiepete has one of those looms so should be able to help with a link.

Post Thanks / Like

Managed to get engine stripped down the weekend, unfortunately pistons were rusted in liners, like welded, got them out with a drift but didn't look pretty. Took them to work and cleaned them all up, came up really well as you can see. Honed the liners too, came up like new with no damage. It was all looking good until I got one of the professionals at work to fit my new piston rings. He managed to snap 2 of the pistons where the old rings fit on To be fair to him they were well siezed on, but can't help thinking if I did it myself with a bit of heat I may have not been so heavy handed. Ohh well maybe its a blessing as im thinking they may have broken at some stage in the engine as the metal on the pistons must have been a little brittle after sitting in the liner in water for almost 4-5 years.
    Is it a long shot to ask if anyone has some standard spare pistons without rings I could buy, or is it best just to go to Mike. Also im after one of them wiring harnesses of that French dude if anyone has a link. Cheers
    I got a set of pistons, ring's and liners from Mike tarabusi ones or however you spell it great piece of kit

The fella selling and making the looms is Julien Labonde contact him via fb he supplied mine, just make sure you say if it's for a ph1 or Ph2 and with or without the perc conector etc....

hope this helps

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

No worries mate, its coming along nicely!. Best to get pistons changed, peace of mind whilst its all out. Look forward to the next installment!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally found time to get the engine back together today, well bottom end anyway and thats where the probelms started. Fitted new pistons an rings, honed liners mint, new big end shells all went together nicely. Although there lies a problem. I cannot turn the engine over by hand. I have traced the fault to number 3 cylinder big end bearing seems to lock the crankshaft. Losen off the bolts on the cap to that cylinder, number 3 and the crank turns fine. This is all with the head still off, haven't come across this before. I swapped the shell to the old shells, still sticks on the crank. Any ideas? All the tabs on the shells are to the back of the engine which I believe right. I may have mixed up a big end cap, but im sure that should not be a problem should it, especially with new shells. Piston is nice an free, so definately a problen with the cap connecting to the rod. I have attached some pics not the best quality but looks all ok.
    Has any one got any quality pictures of the botton end so I can see the markings on the caps are all matched the same as mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, I thought the caps were important not to mix too, aren't they are matched to the rods?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Hmmm, I thought the caps were important not to mix too, aren't they are matched to the rods?
    Im sure caps are correct now as I did keep them all togther. What may be not correct is the pistons in the bores. Not sure how this can cause a lock up but gonna have a play today and find out if this is the case. Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

let us know if you resolve it

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a complete mare on the 5 today could not fathom out why the crank was locking up when tightening the big end caps. 4 hours later found the caps were mixed up, must have happened when the new pistons were fitted at the engine shop, markings rubbed off, but all caps were still on con rods.
    Anyway I removed all the pistons about 10 times, checked, refitted caps ended up 2 were very tight when bolts were torqued up. Had to be guess work really, swapped caps one to the other ended up with one tight. Removed another random cap and found it fitted much better with a little side movement on rod like others. made it, engine finally turned over by hand nice and smooth, though shells didn't look to great after fitted and refitted a dozen times, should still bed in ok though, hopefully. Replaced timing chain and tensioner, day close.
    Wasted far to much time today, was hoping to have the engine all built up ready for fitting, oh well the perils of owning 5 aye?

Post Thanks / Like

Good effort. The engine shop really ought to have matched/marked them for you! At least it's resolved. Keep at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Making good progress and looking fresh in the pictures, stick at it mate. Does the engine bay just need a clean? any welding or paint required?