Post Thanks / Like

Xbox 360 hdmi cable trick/fix

Well i had to get a new xbox today after my 3rd old gen 360 died of red lights of death, cracking deal my mate got me. 360 elite + 4 games and 70 quid hd cable weighed in at only 200 quid

Any way, i got home unboxed it all plugged it all in.. i run a Onkyo 505e hd reciver and 7.1 surround sound.

I found when the xbox was plugged in with hd cable you could not get the cable provided in to the slot above to then link red and white into my reciver for surround sound.

They designed it so that the box on the audio cable is to big, thus meaning you cant plug hdmi in at same time so only sound through tv. You have to buy xbox/microsofts version 2 in 1 cable that allows hdmi and then sound for surround sound.

Got me thinking.

i took the cable with the yellow video, red and white cables out... red and white being for sound, i cracked the box in half as per pictures.

checked no leathal current or any fun fun funky things could happend if touched.

then used electrical tape and strapped it round top of boxing and metal connecter.

plugged it in and guess what the hdmi cable fitted as well me saving 20 quid and no loss to performance at all. it took 5 mins!

hope this helps some of you out.

sorry if its poorly explained
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Xbox 360 hdmi cable trick/fix

i did that lastnight to my cable

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    i did that lastnight to my cable

Its spot on and saves 20 quid

Post Thanks / Like

PMT ftw

Sounds about right for microsoft, every add on for the 360 is a rip.

Post Thanks / Like

that oe cable the xbox comes with must be designed to prevent using a hmdi cable at the same time

i thought, im not using it so ill hack it open, like john says, works beautifully!!

Post Thanks / Like

Its designed to make you buy this...

http://www.game.co.uk/Accessories/Xb...ble-/~r332683/

robbing scum

Post Thanks / Like

i almost did, as Briggles said...PMT FTW!

Post Thanks / Like

£70 hd cable? as in hdmi cable?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiff_lee View Post
    £70 hd cable? as in hdmi cable?
    Yes sorry for miss typing it.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't trying to pick you up on your typing I was just curious as a £70 hdmi cable is no better than a £4 one.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't trying to pick you up on your typing I was just curious as a £70 hdmi cable is no better than a £4 one.

If you say so, im not going to argue this... but i will say running ps3, xbox and sky hd... the better the cable the crisper the picture i get.. and sound quality is improved on the sky hd.

Plus i have bought cheap ones in the past and they dont seem to last... with a decent set up like i have i cant see the point in skimping on the one cable that routes the picture etc from x to y...

Post Thanks / Like

Also add that if you spend long enough setting said things up with good equipment you see results, same with speaker cables.... the better the quality the better the sounds etc....

I could go onnnnn and onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn i love my tech

Post Thanks / Like

Blimey its taken all this time for me to get a reply in! my god the internet is pants on this base carrier pigeon would be more efficient anyhow..

I wasn't trying to incite an argument I was just saying there is no difference as it's a digital signal so it's either on or off, 1 or 0 etc. It's not like the traditional analogue signal used for tv's which had basically infinite variations and any degradation in the signal naturally affected picture quality.

Naturally build quality is reflected in the price as you said you have had some that haven't lasted long but ultimately I can't help but feel paying over the odds just gives a placebo effect.

On the subject of 'tech' I was planning on getting a Sony receiver which if I recall would accept upto 4 hdmi inputs. It would pass the video signal to the tv via an output hdmi cable but also produce the surround sound from the input hdmi signal giving you digital audio supposed to analogue using traditional rca's.

Again whether or not you could really hear the difference in digital audio over analogue is debatable.

Post Thanks / Like

Cables do make a difference...especially concerning sound, I'm not that convinced when it comes to picture quality...other than going from scart to HDMI obviously

It has been proven as of late, I think it may have even got a mention in New Scientist, that a lesser valued HDMI cable is of equivalent quality to a more, shall I say, generously priced HDMI cable

I've got a £6 cable from my SkyHD to HD TV, makes no difference to the £60 one which I use for the xbox/ps3.

I like my tech too

Post Thanks / Like

PMT goes HD

Zip ties and gaffer tape in 3D

Post Thanks / Like

Blimey its taken all this time for me to get a reply in! my god the internet is pants on this base carrier pigeon would be more efficient anyhow..

I wasn't trying to incite an argument I was just saying there is no difference as it's a digital signal so it's either on or off, 1 or 0 etc. It's not like the traditional analogue signal used for tv's which had basically infinite variations and any degradation in the signal naturally affected picture quality.

Naturally build quality is reflected in the price as you said you have had some that haven't lasted long but ultimately I can't help but feel paying over the odds just gives a placebo effect.

On the subject of 'tech' I was planning on getting a Sony receiver which if I recall would accept upto 4 hdmi inputs. It would pass the video signal to the tv via an output hdmi cable but also produce the surround sound from the input hdmi signal giving you digital audio supposed to analogue using traditional rca's.

Again whether or not you could really hear the difference in digital audio over analogue is debatable.
    i agree totally ive had a 40 quid hdmi cable for x box and a 1.75 one.... YES 1.75 off ebay and the difference???? nada. zilch, nowt, nothing. sound is the same and picture is the same. crisp sound sharp picture. the difference between a billion pound one to a 1.75 one is the casing. if your going to chase a cable into a wall , i dont think you would use a cheapey most likely you would pay a bit more just for its casing and thickness/length. its a massive market that as everything in this country... aim for the week worrying market lol

Post Thanks / Like

speaker cables yes, the better the quality the better the sound, hdmi cable, none atall, its only 1s and 0s that go down them, im sure you could use a wet bit of string and it would do a half decent job, my view on it anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Hook, line, sinker

If you're paying anything more than a couple of quid for an hdmi cable, you're wasting your money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Hook, line, sinker

If you're paying anything more than a couple of quid for an hdmi cable, you're wasting your money.

It always makes me laugh when people try to argue that their £80 HDMI cable is better than your £2 cable.. They only do it because they know deep down they wasted their money, and would hate to admit it to themselves!

Post Thanks / Like

I can sure stoke any fire

Post Thanks / Like

forget the price of the cable, what a cracking deal! 4 games and good cable if that bothers you for £200! I paid £200 for my elite with no cable and 2 games which were forza 3 and bayonetta and tbh thats not a bad deal i got so nicely done jrp. What games did you get?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMayGTT View Post
    forget the price of the cable, what a cracking deal! 4 games and good cable if that bothers you for £200! I paid £200 for my elite with no cable and 2 games which were forza 3 and bayonetta and tbh thats not a bad deal i got so nicely done jrp. What games did you get?
    I thought it was a good deal, but easy to poke a fork in alot of people here and watch the ganging up start ....

i got forza 3, tecken 6, gears of war 2, halo 3 + osc somthing... so technicly 5 but i have halo 3 already...

way i see it i got the xbox and the rest free....

But in all honsty the post was for the cable trick that i thought people would find helpful... ****ing club....

Post Thanks / Like

John, no ones being a **** dude, I usually mean well

I got that deal too...xbox elite, 2 wireless controllers, 5 games, Forza 3, Dirt 2, Tiger Woods golf...err, COD2 and something else...£200 all in