Post Thanks / Like

paint advice, hard to cover

ok , just after a bit of advice, im going to be painting my 306 which is currently 1/4 white, half red and has a blue bonnet and front bumper.

Im going to prep it all up etc, however im wondering how easy it will be to cover blue with white etc.

Will it just be a case of putting quite a few coats on the whole car until everything is covered, if so im thinking of putting a dust coat, followed by several thin coats, then once its covered laying down a bit more of a heavy coat to try and achieve a shiny finish.

I will be painting the , doors, boot and bumpers and bonnet seperately.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint advice, hard to cover

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post

Im going to prep it all up etc, however im wondering how easy it will be to cover blue with white etc.
    Half of prepping is the primering, are you going to do this?

Post Thanks / Like

Then hes doing my clio.

Post Thanks / Like

it depends though, when preping a car, its not to say the whole car needs primering, if there is already good paint there, then it only requires a key to allow it to bond, there is no need to primer perfectly good paint, only bear metal, or areas of filler etc, however saying that all other items ive ever painted ive high built the whole panel, usually beacuse these are small and have therefore required this, hence ive never had a proper with coverage.

I could primer the whole car and flat it all back but it just seems a bit pointless and a waste of paint.

Post Thanks / Like

it depends though, when preping a car, its not to say the whole car needs primering, if there is already good paint there, then it only requires a key to allow it to bond, there is no need to primer perfectly good paint, only bear metal, or areas of filler etc, however saying that all other items ive ever painted ive high built the whole panel, usually beacuse these are small and have therefore required this, hence ive never had a proper with coverage.

I could primer the whole car and flat it all back but it just seems a bit pointless and a waste of paint.
    You could use a tinted wet on wet primer. Depends on the quality of paint though and how much thinners you put in the first coat. White is generally ok for coverage but as I advised in the other thread its yellow and orange that are poo for coverage. Ici, spies hecker, standox are what I use for cars these other paints are cheaper for a reason.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Personaly would put a ground coat of white on, exactly how you have said it, NO need to prime if no repairs etc

Im doing a megane coupe from black and silver too white and did itthe way u said

Post Thanks / Like

yea , i did find the orange moped i painted was very hard to cover, even a slight bit of silver showed though. I think im just going to attack it and see how it goes. Its from jawels paint scheme, hopefully it all goes well, i guess if the worst comes to it it will just take lots of paint :P

Post Thanks / Like

How nice do you want this car to look? Thats what you have to ask yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

im certainly not after any show car finish, The roof is going matt black, simple due to the fact it has to many small dents and dimples to contend with so ive sorted the main ones towards the edge and will paint it matt black or similar, the rear1/4s both had bad damage so i have repaired these and thats the main reason for spraying the car, so long as it looks better than it did im happy.

The car only owes me £240 with full mot and 4 months tax, so a few quid on filler and body prep and a furhter ££ to give it some fresh paint just to smarten it up and ill be happy.

Also using it as a bit of a practice as ive never painted very large panels yet, going to have to borrow a larger compressor aswell to do it.

Plan is, attack major dents with filler, sand down to 400, shoot the filler with high build and wet flat to 800, then scotch the full car, mask up, and spray.

Wet flat any major runs, and possibly give it a mop, depends what the finish comes up like.

Post Thanks / Like

im certainly not after any show car finish, The roof is going matt black, simple due to the fact it has to many small dents and dimples to contend with so ive sorted the main ones towards the edge and will paint it matt black or similar, the rear1/4s both had bad damage so i have repaired these and thats the main reason for spraying the car, so long as it looks better than it did im happy.

The car only owes me £240 with full mot and 4 months tax, so a few quid on filler and body prep and a furhter ££ to give it some fresh paint just to smarten it up and ill be happy.

Also using it as a bit of a practice as ive never painted very large panels yet, going to have to borrow a larger compressor aswell to do it.

Plan is, attack major dents with filler, sand down to 400, shoot the filler with high build and wet flat to 800, then scotch the full car, mask up, and spray.

Wet flat any major runs, and possibly give it a mop, depends what the finish comes up like.

Try this for a big panel, £10,500,000 boat, £550,000 paint job with gold base and clear

Post Thanks / Like

Was it a squeeze getting it in the booth, thats impressive, how many of you and how long does it take from start to finish to restore/ these b0ats, roughly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrightygtt View Post

Was it a squeeze getting it in the booth, thats impressive, how many of you and how long does it take from start to finish to restore/ these b0ats, roughly

Theres no where in the country that will take anything that big so we have to build our own. Its a new build boat so its gets painted as its gets built up, ten lads six months work.

Post Thanks / Like

Hero

Post Thanks / Like

I got a few of them sat in the garage i need to give a blast up , going to give them a metal flake base and clear :P.

lol looks cool to be fair

Post Thanks / Like

There is a boat in Croatia that me and my boss painted called bashish not sure how its spelt but it had an all black hull with a house of colour gamma gold base coat with silver mini flake and coarse orange flake. Looked like fecking insane in the sun