Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: B16 turbo build

Nice I may and go have a nosey. Wow alot of $hit talking going on in that forum.
    Last edited by rs250nut; 07-03-2011 at 22:31.

Post Thanks / Like

Small update,started to bolt the motor together this evening, bit of a barsteward getting it on the stand on my own, need to live closer to some more rtoc'ers

Put a little oil on the end of the studs and wound them in hand tight as per arp's instructions

Applied a load of arp moly lube to the studs,nuts and washers and then in four equal steps tourqued down to 80 lb ft.

Job done and rocker chucked on just for show.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol, you been on civiclife i take it.. its the honda version of cliosport..lol..

Nice update.. whens the shell back

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully within the next two weeks, I cant see it taking any longer than that even with the shoot mount being added. Might see if they can sort a window net aswell. Gives me some thing to grow into. Loads of prep to do then, I want to paint the bay and the interior but I cant do the interior untill I have a seat to make up the rails for them.

Post Thanks / Like

It's nice once you get it all bolted together, even if you have other parts to fit, at least feels like you are nearly there, lol.
    Can't wait to see it running.

Post Thanks / Like

Still got loads to do, need to have a chat with Mr Scoff soon about something to run it with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    Still got loads to do, need to have a chat with Mr Scoff soon about something to run it with.
    One word hondata!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    One word hondata!!!
    I can't do the mapping though mate, It is something I need to learn. Plus I would still have to buy a complete ignition system.

Post Thanks / Like

Clutch arrived today which is good, from ebay once again. Twin plate os giken item hopefully should hold the raging shetland ponys

Should also be picking car up saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a proper long day today, car is broke so had to get the train up to southampton at 6.30am to meet Mike for a road trip to pick up project go slow After a few cans of red bull a punctured trailer tyre we arrived in Finedon. A few pics of the car when I got home

oh whats this hole for in the rear bumper, must have slipped with the hole saw.

it has a purpose but it is removable until I learn how to go proper fast.

Massive thanks once again to the man that is I have every single gtt part going.
    Last edited by rs250nut; 26-03-2011 at 22:33.

Post Thanks / Like

Good **** man !!! I think its only me left now to get a shoot mount.. Not be long till your more in front than us with your build..

Im guna grab some beers n hit my garage now with this nice sunny evening and get building!!

Post Thanks / Like

Have been super busy with a the new job recently, my new mobile work place

The civic has taken a bit of a back seat, I started choppin up the dash to fit around the climbing frame in the car, its a bit of a crap job because the steering gear is bolted to a frame behind the dash which weighs a ton.

Most of it is trimmed back now so the dash fits the car again but I still have to make a support for the steering, ******* mig is out of gas again need a big ass pub bottle

Got rid of the factory cross member today to make way for a traction bar/ weight bar and also removing this means I can use a bigger intercooler, hopefully a 120mm thick cooler will fit behind the stock front bumper

My main mission of late has been to shed as much weight as possible from the right areas so out came the hole saw and grinder Here is the new and improved lightweight tailgate

The inside of the car still needs a bit of work but all of the unnessacary brackets have all been removed and the hole saw saw some more action, scrapped the last of the sound deadning up and also carryed on with removing more seam sealer in prepration for the mass welding session

The rear bumber also saw a bit of action from the hole saw this time not to save weight just trying to reduce the effects of the wind brake on the rear end, its like a parachute. Only thing being now I will never get away with the sleeper look, still might put a '' jesus loves you'' sticker with the fish symbol on the tailgate and leave the 1.4 badge. Messed about with the spoiler to lose more weight by removing the third brake light, need to get to 1039kg with me in it and I weigh 105kg. I need to put myself on a diet and leave th poor car alone, maybe just take a fat dump before racing

Last edited by rs250nut; 23-04-2011 at 23:37.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would chuck this in, starting to look like a proper mill now

Post Thanks / Like

looking quality john you best order some more pants for after you've shat yourself driving that monster

when will it be ready for

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    looking quality john you best order some more pants for after you've shat yourself driving that monster

when will it be ready for

I had hoped for it to be completed within the next couple of months but not so sure now, every job turns into ten. I think when I have the turbo and the interior is finished I will be a happy man

Post Thanks / Like

I had hoped for it to be completed within the next couple of months but not so sure now, every job turns into ten. I think when I have the turbo and the interior is finished I will be a happy man

i know exactly what you mean mate my 2-3 month un realistic project is comming close to a year now mate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    i know exactly what you mean mate my 2-3 month un realistic project is comming close to a year now mate
    I brought the bottom end just over a year ago now does not seem that long but hay ho. With my bm being broke aswell I dont have anything intresting to drive other than the van.

Post Thanks / Like

You recken you will be out for RTOC... I still havnt touched our car yet, theres more dust on it than parts.. But ive just had a burst of energy to get it finish.. changing our plan slightly tho with the build so we can get out and race.. ill update my project thread soon.. Keep up the work tho..

Post Thanks / Like

You recken you will be out for RTOC... I still havnt touched our car yet, theres more dust on it than parts.. But ive just had a burst of energy to get it finish.. changing our plan slightly tho with the build so we can get out and race.. ill update my project thread soon.. Keep up the work tho..

I would love to be but I cant see it mate, new job equals even less time. I got a lot of the welding done on friday picking up some seats this weekend thats about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Take your time, there is always something niggly that seems to hold things up... as I'm finding out myself
    Can't wait to see this & the Backyard motor running this year, as well as Scoffs motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Have quite a lot of the fuel system now, just recieved the other 044 fuel pump and a few more -8 fittings plus the Y block.

This part of the aeromotive fuel pressure regulator has a thread tapped for a -6 thread were I want to use -8 so this is going off to be machined to a m18x1.5mm thread

I have to find another rocker cover now also after the kandy one got a little damaged, never been so pissed off about something in my whole life, proper spitting feathers. Oh well cant beat bad luck in life. On a more positive note I have a few bits coming soon from the states, namely a big ass turbo.

http://realstreetperformance.com/sto...00hp-1311.html

Post Thanks / Like

hey fella i need to pick r brains about the idea u had with yr old my new car.

theres a tread in the technical section as i dont wana spam yr thread

any help is good help

Post Thanks / Like

Few bits arrived this weekend, picked up some aluminium 90 degree section to make an airbox with along with some carbon sheet that I already had, a length of 25mmx25mm box section to make the seat rails with. Im short of the runners which I still need to order to mount these seats.

When the seats are fitted I can paint the interior, the project should move on a bit then.

Post Thanks / Like

Did a little bit more on the engine this week got hold of some new nsx type lost motion assemblies as the others were a bit tired and no good for big cams

As I had these I thought I may as well re fit the rocker shaft assemblies

You can see it being threaded back through from the right of the picture. Also this week I recieved my new high volume fuel rail made by Golden eagle in the states,, they are one of only a few manufactures that make one big enough to take a proper -8 fitting so this should tie in nicely with the rest of the fuel system.

Here is the intercooler I talked about earlier on in the thread, the seller was a little vague with the dimentions but in the end I thought bollocks go for it and see what happens, worst case scenario it has to go back

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you have gone for the Red rail, no colour clash now, ive got the black one..

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you have gone for the Red rail, no colour clash now, ive got the black one..
    In all honesty I wanted to keep everything black and silver but I get carried away with anodised stuff, I think it stems from when I was a wee nipper with the bike stuff ( 2 bangers ftw) .

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should have our own Honda section of the rtoc Rob.

Post Thanks / Like

A few bits to update, the fpr has now been drilled and tapped to accept the larger -8 fitting

Picked up an air filter from a friend who used to work at prodrive, this came from a 2000 wrc car. Hopefully going to try and build a box with a ram pipe for this to sit in, is it big enough though?

Ebay comes through once again, picked up this bad ass rev counter with data logging and replay function, dont think the scale will be big enough though

Did a bit more work on the car today shedding more weight, pain in the ass job removing the original crash bars in the doors but well worth it, took me the best part of two hours to do one door but now I know how to do it the other door should be quicker, on the bathroom scales this little lot came to 7kg, sweet 14kg in total removed from the doors with more to come

Went to dry fit the engine/gearbox brace only to find it fouls on the new deeper sump pan, had a little read on honda tech and seems its a common problem

Out came the trusty angle grinder for a bit of trimmage

Fits sweet now, gave it a good clean along with a few other bits and pieces and got ready for a painting session, when its all dry I will chuck some pics up, should look pretty sweet though.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, ive not got one of those braces?? just the single bar style? be careful what you cut from your car, ****ing JDS have said the 969kg weight is a printing error and now its back up to 1039kg... pissed of isnt the word.. Just build it to 1000kg for the outlaw events and add balist for the JDS...

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, ive not got one of those braces?? just the single bar style? be careful what you cut from your car, ****ing JDS have said the 969kg weight is a printing error and now its back up to 1039kg... pissed of isnt the word.. Just build it to 1000kg for the outlaw events and add balist for the JDS...
    I don't think the eg's had the crash bars mate, on this it's two bars per side with a big plate in-between them. I doubt I will get near the minimum weight, the ek's are massively over weight to start with.

Post Thanks / Like

A few bits arrived today from laskey racing, this ati super damper as used by most nascar teams and top fuel drag cars is a nice bit of kit.

Hopefully will help absorb some of the harmonic waves traveling through the crank and stop it from bending/snapping at high rpm's.

As the stock b16 cams are not great for boost these skunk2 pro1 cams are just the job, for use with big turbos gt35r and bigger should help with initial spool and make a fair chunk more power up top. These are the stock cam specs

Inlet 230 deg / 10.6mm lift
    Exhaust 227 deg / 9.4mm lift

And the skunk2 pro 1,s

Inlet 264 deg / 12.6mm lift
    Exhaust 264 deg / 11.9mm lift

I'm a little worried about v2v contact what with big lift and enlarged valves and blowing boost out of the exhaust, Mike assures me it will be fine though,

Got some bdl cam pulleys to go on the end of these again which are super nice pieces, five bolt design using arp fastners.

This has been the part I have been waiting for more than anything on this whole build, a precision dual ball bearing billet wheel 6765 turbo. I dont know if Im a wierdo or not but I feel like a nipper again who just recieved a new push bike for christmas, ive got it in the bedroom just to keep looking at it

Im need to grind a little out of the block to provide a more clearance between the comp cover and also make up some sort of heat sheild between the comp cover and one of the exhaust runners.
    Last edited by rs250nut; 22-07-2011 at 00:43.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, .... Good cams too.. did you see the thread about Millers cams in his camo eg... all out in open now.. spin off Brian crower cams... Wish i had enough cash for some sticks... have just run the stock C4`s for now..

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, .... Good cams too.. did you see the thread about Millers cams in his camo eg... all out in open now.. spin off Brian crower cams... Wish i had enough cash for some sticks... have just run the stock C4`s for now..
    Do you have a link Rob?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quite a revalation As said in the thread though a lot of companies do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Have not done a great deal to the Honda but a small update none the less, after a pony day at work I came home to find my late christmas present from the missus

The opening in the end of the manifold was good for a maximum of a 68mm throttle so needed opening up a little to remove the step to the 72mm throttle.

Did not fancy waiting for the machine shop so out came the files and a flap wheel

It went on and off a few times but in the end got it pretty sweet, trial fitted the fuel rail, injectors and throttle and bolted it up to the head.

These breather adapters also came in from b&r fittings, make fitting the breathers in the back of the block a piece of cake

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work so far mate, engine looks like it will be awesome; I wouldnt like to think how much that has cost so far

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words, I don't like to think what it has cost to date hence why I don't keep recipts!!!!!!.

Post Thanks / Like

looks stunning.

Post Thanks / Like

Small update, I needed some brackets to mount the seats but did not fancy paying £70-80 a pair for what is a bit of folded aluminium, had a little look on ebay for some materials that would be suitable, picked up some 75mm x 6mm aluminium bar for the uprights which cost close to £20 and some 38mm x 38mm X 6mm aluminium angle for the rails which also cost around £20. Armed with some basic hand tools and a cordless drill I got to work.

After a lot of sawing, filing and the use of the mother in-laws vice they looked like this, not to shabby really and saved me a load of money, I may get them anodized or polish them see what time is available.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a spare five minutes at the weekend so finished heat wrapping the exhaust manifold

Completed it in two pieces and ended up being quite a tidy job, when I do this again I will make sure I have a painters suit and mask to hand as afterwards I itched all over and also soak the wrap in water, it makes it easier to work with.

Also fitted the inlet manifold with the throttle, injectors, fuel rail and fpr.

Had a delivery from Honda,I want to replace all of the old manky bolts for new ones and replace all of the rubber seals for gearbox, water pipe and did not have a two post mount so brought a brand new one.

Had a little look at the intermediate shaft while its off the car, it looked in a bad way and had a noisy bearing so I decided to rebuild it, I did not take any pics of me taking it apart but will when I re assemble it.

After I taped up the bearing faces it got blasted and then buffed on a wire wheel, came out real clean.

Will be painted black with a load of other stuff like engine brackets etc

Also started to dial the cams in, brought a moroso timing wheel which bolts straight up to the ati balancer which is handy as I did not have to make anything. Used a bit of an old coat hanger to make a pointer with and bolted it up, instead of using a dti to find tdc I got told to use a piston stop.

With it installed it needed a bit of adjustment to get the engine to come to a stop within a few degrees either side of tdc. Messed with the pointer and adjusted the timing wheel until I had seven degrees btdc

and seven degrees atdc

Now when at zero degrees we at at true tdc

With the cams gears lined up, now we are ready to start with locking v-tec to get the cams to ride on the higher profile, I can do this two ways, one invloves using small bb in the three rockers which could fall in the engine or using a compressor with a special fitting to lock v-tec with air pressure going through the oil ways. I had to stop here as I need to make a fixture kit for the two dti's and also need the fitting for the side of the block.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on John pull your finger out by the time you've dropped the lump in the other Honda boys will be in the 8's good to see it still going though mate keep it up

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see another update , was wondering if it had gone the same way as the back yard boys .

Glad it hasn't and look forward to your next update

Post Thanks / Like

That's looking awesome mate,I'm about to turbo my f20c engine(kings performance stage 3) wont look no way as flash as your setup though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steveT2 View Post
    That's looking awesome mate,I'm about to turbo my f20c engine(kings performance stage 3) wont look no way as flash as your setup though
    F20's are super bad ass, 700+whp on a stock block is not uncommon, I might build a s2000 after the civic.

Thanks for the motivation chaps, I have managed to start a business get married and buy a house without selling up so it wont be going that way until I have have some fun in it and ran a single digit pass.

Post Thanks / Like

F20's are super bad ass, 700+whp on a stock block is not uncommon, I might build a s2000 after the civic.

Thanks for the motivation chaps, I have managed to start a business get married and buy a house without selling up so it wont be going that way until I have have some fun in it and ran a single digit pass.
    do you rate the f20 better than the k20?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I love this thread. That engine is ridiculous mate. The blower is super sexy! Keep up the awesome work!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5alldaway View Post
    do you rate the f20 better than the k20?
    Dont know really they are very similar, all of the new age honda engines are immense, really well engineered, super efficent and reliable. Either engine with make 260whp na with a few bolt on mods and crazy amounts with forced induction.

Post Thanks / Like

Test fitted the cbr 954 coils to the replica mugen cover to see if they would fit, nice and snug without the need for any kind of bar to hold them down.

Also had the plugs turn up, one of the only plugs that will work with the cbr coils as you need a removable tip type plug.

As you may spot I have a different rocker cover now as the other one got broke, I needed to weld the -10 bungs in so fired up my newly acquired ac/dc tig set

Finished one of the water outlets at the weekend, bye bye to all jubilee clips, even stainless ones piss me off.

And fitted to the motor with a -16 fitting

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see your still cracking on with it mate, will be awesome when done