Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Turbo - Mk1 Clio Pipework and cooler

Hi Chaps.

Any one with a Clio mk1 16v or Williams running a "turbo" can you post me a photo of the intercooler / Pipe work please so i can get my head round were too route the pipe work

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turbo - Mk1 Clio Pipework and cooler

I was thinking about this earlier, with the stock turbo set up running over the top of the engine and the fact that the inlet manifold is on the front means that the pipe work should be relatively short.

The pipe work from the turbo is only about 2" in diameter and I can't see any harm running it at that diameter to the intercooler (it works up to 315bhp on a megane 225 before people start flaming me) from the intercooler to the throttle body (especially if your using a clio cable body) you might be worth trying to stick with 2 1/2" as the air will hopefully be a bit cooler and therefore denser so the last thing you want is to squeeze it through a narrow pipe re heating it before it gets to the engine.

The problem is with the inlet manifold being so narrow, again though it's been proven upto 300bhp so you may as well just suck it and see.

Intercooler wise the bigger the better. ebay here we come

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

seen a nice little unit that my mate ran on his punto GT around 280Hp and they are £90ish

Post Thanks / Like

Merc sprinter intercooler can pick them up for about £30 and are good for 350bhp apparentley.

The inlets got quite a bit of meat on it to machine abit out too.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

with the 16v or r5 engine? with the r5 engine its much the same as a 5? cossie 2wd seems the one to go for. for 16v the only real way is to use a charge cooler, the space is rediculous, though the best setup ive seen is one with the hose connections on the same side, but the intercooler hung below the front bumper, the hose work also gets many bends init.
    Last edited by midge; 27-01-2010 at 13:51.

Post Thanks / Like

Midge its for a mk1 clio running a 225 engine