Post Thanks / Like

Broken Heel, halfway there

It feels like forever but it's only been 3 weeks since i had surgery on my broken/fractured heelbone. Today i had the dressing removed, staples taken out and had a proper fibreglass cast fitted. There's 3 more boring weeks of waiting then the cast is cut off and then on with physio to start walking again.

Anyway, while in the plaster room i asked to see if they had any post op X rays to look at to see how many Meccano pieces they decided to screw to my ankle bones

Not the real pic but gives you an idea of what the surgeon was up to with his DeWalt screwdriver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Broken Heel, halfway there

welcome to the in body screws club

Post Thanks / Like

I cracked my heel years ago, didn't need all the meccano though, I feel for ya man.. mine sometimes aches still when it's cold..

Post Thanks / Like

I have had two ops on the same knee joint - two pins, a piece of hamstring for a cruciate ligament, trimmed lateral meniscal cartilage, sutured medial meniscal cartilage and scuffed articular cartliage on my femur. I haven't walked freely since the first op 15 months ago (having already hobbled around on the injury for the 14 months prior to that). Looks like a third op sometime this year.

It'll be no more than I deserve somehow.

Good luck with your rehab.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping that once the cast is off i'll be able to start walking on it, there'll be physio to attend to as well. Long term they say a possibility of arthritis and years later re corrective surgery

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bloody hell Rich, i know exactly how you feel, didnt realise you smashed your heel up though, how did you do it?

Hope you recover quick, the frustrating thing is you just want to get one with life but it seems like such a slow process to heal up.

This is my mechano looks the same as yours.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

sam looks like one of the washers isnt sitting properly in there?
    alot of metal work you both have, you got to have it out atall?
    i have a plate in my hand from when i broke it and im sure its lifted up away from the bone, you can feel it with touch and even see it, i rang for an apointment and i got one, in 3 months!

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam that's exactly how mine looks, did you walk on it after the cast came off? I jumped over a fence and landed hard square on the heel. I cracked the bone,apparently it's bad but could have been worse as it didn't shatter in 8-10 pieces Come April i will get to Germany and do a lap of the Ring

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Sam that's exactly how mine looks, did you walk on it after the cast came off? I jumped over a fence and landed hard square on the heel. I cracked the bone,apparently it's bad but could have been worse as it didn't shatter in 8-10 pieces Come April i will get to Germany and do a lap of the Ring
    I was in a cast for 6 weeks, (both heels and ankles broken), but when I could put pressure on them I was in agony for quite a few months due too the fact I destroyed the joints in my ankles but that could be because I fell 50ft onto them in the first place . So it was about a year before I could walk unaided. Generaly though yes, I should have been able to put weight on them after 6 weeks so you should be ok.

I rekon you`ll have to have some Physio sessions for a bit, but im sure you`ll be lapping in the Ring no problems with your even stronger heel .

I hope for you a speedy recovery anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sam M View Post
    I was in a cast for 6 weeks, (both heels and ankles broken), but when I could put pressure on them I was in agony for quite a few months due too the fact I destroyed the joints in my ankles but that could be because I fell 50ft onto them in the first place . So it was about a year before I could walk unaided. Generaly though yes, I should have been able to put weight on them after 6 weeks so you should be ok.

I rekon you`ll have to have some Physio sessions for a bit, but im sure you`ll be lapping in the Ring no problems with your even stronger heel .

I had to learn to walk again. maaaaaaaaan we should form a club... like vetrans of rtoc or somthing. Its strange walking un aided for the first time in ages... i had no control of my legs so my right leg would go forward and left wouldnt move.... looked like a comedy sketch! pahhhh

Post Thanks / Like

Jeeeeeez Sam!!! Proper job mate, sorry to hear that..... Ankles and heels

A fracture, screws, would have been in a cast for 6 weeks so yeah with the physio i'm hoping a speedy recovery and walking within a week or 2, albeit a hobble.

Sam this must have happened years ago, i've known you a while now

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    I had to learn to walk again. maaaaaaaaan we should form a club... like vetrans of rtoc or somthing. Its strange walking un aided for the first time in ages... i had no control of my legs so my right leg would go forward and left wouldnt move.... looked like a comedy sketch! pahhhh
    Hahahahaha, maybe there should be a section on the site for scar wounds and broken bones, could be some interesting stories popping up

Post Thanks / Like

Hahahahaha, maybe there should be a section on the site for scar wounds and broken bones, could be some interesting stories popping up

Chicks dig scars!!

Post Thanks / Like

Chicks dig scars!!

thats a lie mine looks like an extension of my arse crack

Post Thanks / Like

Chicks dig scars!!
    ive got a scar running from my right eyebrow upwards about an inch. Chicks just call me harry potter

Post Thanks / Like

thats a lie mine looks like an extension of my arse crack
    Too much info!!

Post Thanks / Like

Too much info!!

other thing to note ric is that on cold days like we are having at the mo... you will possibly feel a weird cold sensation... in my back its like my bodys core is freezing... trust me its strange

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

other thing to note ric is that on cold days like we are having at the mo... you will possibly feel a weird cold sensation... in my back its like my bodys core is freezing... trust me its strange
    This is true! I know. Also other people with plates, screws etc in their bodies say the cold gets in.

Post Thanks / Like

I can well imagine that's gonna happen in the colder months, i also imagine it's going to be a little uncomfortable when i'm back at work being on my feet all day.... No desk job here i'm out on site

Post Thanks / Like

I can well imagine that's gonna happen in the colder months, i also imagine it's going to be a little uncomfortable when i'm back at work being on my feet all day.... No desk job here i'm out on site
    I was outside today doing a flue job my screws became positivly artic... All ile say is physio/phsyio how ever its spelt, iam sure my poor grammerwill be picked up on; albeit not through lazieness... just thickas****itus.

just keep doing the exercises even when it feels fine

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i will mate, i'm bored to feck now, what with 3 weeks still! I wanna walk.... Now!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i will mate, i'm bored to feck now, what with 3 weeks still! I wanna walk.... Now!!
    Eliveate the bordom with assasins creed 2 and betfair... just dont lay... it will bite you..

worked for me for a year... inus the assasins as thats newish.... but bio shock is a good game rock out riccy rock out... ohhh guitar hero is a winner!!!

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to bump this thread rich, was looking through google about broken heels, as ive smashed mine to bits about two months ago and im not even walking yet! now ironic you had done yours three years ago, how long before you recovered and can you do the normal things again like walk , been of work sooo long now..

Post Thanks / Like

Blimey this is a blast from the past. I think it took me 3-4 months after surgery to learn how to walk again. Even then it was painful, I couldn't walk very far or very long. I had nearly 2 months of balance physio at hospital and even 6-12 months after surgery it would still be in pain after a days work. Every morning it would hurt first thing then gradually get better once the muscles had warmed up.

We're coming up to 4 years when it happened and even now I can't jog for more than 15–20 minutes as I'll struggle with it the morning after. I seriously underestimated the impact it would have on my life, I thought once the cast was off after 6 weeks I would simply walk with no problems, how wrong was I

Post Thanks / Like

5yrs since my first op, 4yrs since my second op (on my left knee).

I haven't stopped trying every avenue of rehabilitation in order to maximise what I can do (range of activity), and how often I can do it (time to recovery). I keep a diary and I continue to see improvements over time. Whilst I'm never able to push 100% and I still have some awkwardness/weakness in places, I can now do most activities*. So both persistence and patience is key Alex.

*walking, running (only up to 10k on the road), climbing, badminton, basketball, racketball, leg work in the gym (though still only to 65% of my previous max weights).

About the only thing I can't do is play competitive football. I could play but I would be risking too much given how hard I've worked in getting to do all the other things.

It will never be right and I don't know how long I'll be able to do the things I can today but I pray it's as long as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

21 years ago now for my accident and I did it properly jumping roofs and well never made it and fell 60 foot onto uneven ground giving right side the full impact......knew it was bad when my right foot was facing my left cheek

Shattered my ankle and elbow, dislocated my sholder and hip and 21 fracters in my leg

2 weeks of intensive care - brought back from the dead twice

3 months in hospital

Choice of my own elbow with limited movement or fake one - went with the real one lol

Said never walk again

took 2 years to walk and did a load of things to bridge the gap from wheelchair / special crutches / riding a bike to walking

3rd year ran london marathon in sub 4 hrs prob couldn't do that now lol

Still have loads of pins and plates and metal rod holding leg on and bits of bone still poking out of ankle

Grier lives on

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Dunc, I that's a real story! The body is amazing.

Sounds like you were young when it happened. Oh how that helps when it comes to what recovery is possible afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

It sure is!!! Was just before I was 16 and no doubt the only reason I recovered so well, if I broke a finger nail I would probable never recover now LOL

Still remember all the operations, pain and side effect of all the medication mind

The stupid things we do in our youth!

DG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Grier View Post
    if I broke a finger nail I would probable never recover now LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Jeez, I didn't realise half of rtoc members have been sewn/screwed/bolted together. I don't feel quite so special now

I was born with a Talipes (Club Foot). My heel was on the top of my foot, which was facing backwards! After plenty of reconstructive/fusion surgery I've been left with different sized feet, no muscle in my calf, and scaring from my calf to my foot, and down the length of both sides of my foot.

I spent too much of my childhood in wheel chairs/on crutches, but it's never stopped me doing anything I've wanted to do. Well, until I pinched a nerve in it two years ago, which has left me unable to walk, run, or even stand for long periods of time. Great when you're a Postie

Post Thanks / Like

reading through this has made feel bad, and good at the same time...

I've been through several "major" car accidents, Fell off the roof of a house and landed flat on my back between a skip and pallets of breezeblocks, fallen from a high tree and hit at least 2 million branches on my way down,Electrocuted by 3 phase ,twice, snapped my bike in two after hitting a car at 50mph+ , (wrote the car off), major off on a motorbike and landed in a field,...... all with mere bruising and hurt pride......Looks Up ...... must have a busy angel I think...

worst injury I've had was a new (then) R25 on a body jig rolled over my foot crushing my toe tectors flat to the floor... about 2 tonne in total... split my toes, lost toe nails, "only bruised" the bones.. sore for 2 weeks..

Get well soon , all of you broken ones....

Post Thanks / Like

This thread puts fecking Robocop to shame!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Blimey this is a blast from the past. I think it took me 3-4 months after surgery to learn how to walk again. Even then it was painful, I couldn't walk very far or very long. I had nearly 2 months of balance physio at hospital and even 6-12 months after surgery it would still be in pain after a days work. Every morning it would hurt first thing then gradually get better once the muscles had warmed up.

We're coming up to 4 years when it happened and even now I can't jog for more than 15–20 minutes as I'll struggle with it the morning after. I seriously underestimated the impact it would have on my life, I thought once the cast was off after 6 weeks I would simply walk with no problems, how wrong was I
    Mate Im guessing joints were wrecked and you have arthritis kicking in badly now? I totaly feel for you in that respect. I couldn`t walk for 2 days after Marts wedding Thanks mart!!! but surgeon has finally agree`d I need surgery next year so will have a subtalar Athrodesis on both feet meaning 6months of recovery, but this is dream because it will mean hopefully minimal pain and I can last a day without being in agony by the end of it.

Post Thanks / Like

heel... must of hurt, always makes me shudder the thought of a heel or wrist.

I am also in the metal work club
    left femur

then left tib and fib came out through my skin

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is turning into this.

http://youtu.be/cNOsA4nH8yE

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goobie View Post
    This thread is turning into this.

http://youtu.be/cNOsA4nH8yE
    just need some gunshot wounds to appear on her now. Although Duncan is the king of scars so far, brought back from dead

Post Thanks / Like

just need some gunshot wounds to appear on her now. Although Duncan is the king of scars so far, brought back from dead
    There still time for an old war hero to pop up just yet gayboyyyy.........

Ps, I got some more side light bulbs, so you can still keep the gangster units il stuck in ya one eight poo last weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome stories/pics. It's amazing what they can do these days. 50 years ago all those above with bad injuries and defects would have been utterly fecked.

Thank God for the NHS. Whilst not perfect, it's a fantastic institution I wouldn't want to be without.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Thank God for the NHS. Whilst not perfect, it's a fantastic institution I wouldn't want to be without.
    100% agree

People do like a little moan about it but they need to put it into context. Everyone i've come aross with all my experiences with the NHS have been absolutely superb. These people work their butts off to make sure they give us THE best care