Post Thanks / Like

Negative Camber

With the aid of CAD drawing or 1:1 scale is it possible to work out a fixed degree of negative camber by say enlarging the diameter of the hub and/or hole on the damper. For example the diameter of the hub hole is 20mm, enlarging it to say 20.5 or 21.3mm would give a fixed permanent negative camber of 1.5 degrees (figures picked at random)

Was thinking it would take the guess work away when using 'corrector' bolts, you'd know it would always be a certain degree of camber. Or am i talking nonsense

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Negative Camber

id just slot em bud, and set up the camber ureself on a flat surface, u might wana look at ure castor angle too if ure looking for better cornering

Post Thanks / Like

The idea of working out a specific diameter is to take the guesswork out of it squire

Post Thanks / Like

You'd still need it setting up properly as there'd be tolerances in the suspension holes, hub holes, the hub itself, wishbone/holes, etc, all of which can effect camber.

Your best bet, imho, is to elongate the strut-hub holes to give you the adjustability, then take it to somewhere like Elite (although I personally wouldn't go to them; just using their name as an example), and ask them to set the camber to whatever you desire.

Alternatively, get some straight rods & string, and do it yourself. Cue Andy Cooke...

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Am i being really dumb, i thought to get negative camber you'd have to make the hole smaller!

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolio View Post

Am i being really dumb, i thought to get negative camber you'd have to make the hole smaller!
    How do the bolts fit through the holes then

Post Thanks / Like

easiest way is to remove the top bolt, then smack things with a hammer until you get the camber you want. When all this is done attack the top bolt hole with a vernier.

This is a static test, not a dynamic one. Don't give it a run down to the shops to see how it feels with only one bolt fitted.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    How do the bolts fit through the holes then
    Um yes, what i was trying to say that rather than drilling using top bolts of different diameters would give you standardised camber. IE on the trophy a 12mm bolt gives exactly 2 degs negative.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't that involve drilling the hub mounting holes though? Last time I checked a gtt hub, there wasn't that much extra meat available, and it's a one shot bore-through as well - If you feck up, it's replacement hub time.

Far easier to elongate the strut holes and go from there.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you elongate the top hole you can then tip the hub in towards the centreline of the car, if you look in demon-tweeks you can buy an alloy camber gauge that sits on the outside face of the wheel and as long as you make sure the ground you're working on is level it's easy, just remember any time you make an adjustment you need to roll the car back and forwards a foot or so to allow the suspension to settle. Once you done all that you can test your car to see how it feels and if you happy remove the top bolt and tack a penny washer to the strut to spread the bolt loads. job done

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    With the aid of CAD drawing or 1:1 scale is it possible to work out a fixed degree of negative camber by say enlarging the diameter of the hub and/or hole on the damper. For example the diameter of the hub hole is 20mm, enlarging it to say 20.5 or 21.3mm would give a fixed permanent negative camber of 1.5 degrees (figures picked at random)

Was thinking it would take the guess work away when using 'corrector' bolts, you'd know it would always be a certain degree of camber. Or am i talking nonsense
    No. It could sit at any point within that 'circle' so would give different camber accordingly.

I am a big fan of camber bolts, use them on all my cars. The only time it is an issue is when you disturb them but I scribe the head to the hub face so I can return it to the same position!

Post Thanks / Like

What about adjustable top mounts like the ones from compbrake?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post

What about adjustable top mounts like the ones from compbrake?
    Yes you could do this two, but the tops are different in the ph1 and ph2 in the way they mount...

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adey aka Ewok View Post
    id just slot em bud, and set up the camber ureself on a flat surface, u might wana look at ure castor angle too if ure looking for better cornering
    How have peeps adjusted their castor? Moved the wishbones forward\backward on the original bushes? Or adjusted the strut tops? How have peeps measured how much extra they have dialled in?