Post Thanks / Like

Interior leak

After having the patches in my floor pan welded up, I havn't put my interior back in untill I sort my leaks out.

After re-sealing my sunroof in with tigerseal and my ariel I thought that would be the end of my problems went out to the car this morning to find another huge puddle of water in the footwell Granted it's not a s bad as before and it seems the sunroof inner seal is still leaking slightly but not as much as whats in the footwell.

So I'm going to seal shut the thing asap.

Anyway, the sound deadening behind the dash is absolutly soaked when you put your foot on it it's like squezing a sponge in the bath!

Anybody have any ideas what this could be? I have lifted it up and can't seem to find where it's coming from.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior leak

I think all gt's leak, don't they ? it's the law ! I know mine leaks from somewhere, I don't really care so havn't bothered investigating, but I think it's down to old door seal rubbers. mine are a bit crusty, probably not sealing against the door very well. it might be worth looking at those and the surface of the door that they close onto.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

also, check up inside the scuttle areas to make sure theres no rot beneth the windscreen! I've seen a dashboard come out before now, car looked fine from outside, huge 6" dia hole in the bulkhead!! Had to weld in 1/3rd of a new bulkhead panel = pain in the ass.

Post Thanks / Like

It's on the list of things to check

I wouldn't be botherd if I had the hp you do to go and give it a quick blast and dry it all out!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    also, check up inside the scuttle areas to make sure theres no rot beneth the windscreen! I've seen a dashboard come out before now, car looked fine from outside, huge 6" dia hole in the bulkhead!! Had to weld in 1/3rd of a new bulkhead panel = pain in the ass.

Why do I think that could be my issue wherever it's coming from it seems to be behind the dash

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

how high is the damp up the footwell behind the dash? my old 106 would get p155 wet up there and after peeling the screen rubber back it was clearly poorly sealed.. added some sealent into the gap and happy days..

current gtts leaking, rear quarter windows aren't very good nor is the sunroof, on braking the otherday i got a wet neck was talking to carcrash yesterday and he was telling me the nack on cleaning, sealing, fitting the sunroof rubber again..

drop him a msg, it wasn't rocket science but sounded like it could be a right pain in the ar5e..
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=15

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to be comeing from pretty far up behind the dash on the drivers side, well as far as I can get grubby mits up behind the sound deadening anyway

I have a feeling it'd dash out time once again

Post Thanks / Like

yes more than likely coming in from the windscreen bottom surround,but suspect other areas because water can track from a totally other place than expected.

thats one reason why i cut out all my sound deadening and removed carpet,had my windscreen surround repaired but still get water in like scoff said through door,not really bothered,my cars about being used an practical and i really cant be dealing with wet sponge below my carpet rusting out the floorpan....eventually...

Post Thanks / Like

I had kind of hoped it wasn't that but come to think of it my windscreen surround has seen better days and could probably do with repairing anyway. so it's dash out to see the extent of the damage the rust has caused

I f'in hate the orange stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

would it be best to remove screen first,an that could give you a clue as to extent of rust/damage?,if its super bad then dash out will be a good option to attack the rot.

Post Thanks / Like

I figure that if i take the dash out then any welding that needs doing to the bulk head can be done first then the screen surround can be sorted.

Plus my dash is all smashed around Where the incar bleed valve is so it would make sense to replace that too.

I have seen a pic of just the grey plastic bit of the dash somewhere I didn't know that could be seperated from the black bit. Anybody got any tips for doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    I figure that if i take the dash out then any welding that needs doing to the bulk head can be done first then the screen surround can be sorted.

Plus my dash is all smashed around Where the incar bleed valve is so it would make sense to replace that too.

I have seen a pic of just the grey plastic bit of the dash somewhere I didn't know that could be seperated from the black bit. Anybody got any tips for doing it.

i think shakes is selling just the grey part in classifieds,guess it comes apart somehow,took dash out of my old car but not looked at the mould or what holds grey bit in.

here you go-

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=11961

Post Thanks / Like

if you havent got the plastic cover over the interior fan unit, then water can leak past that and into the car too. as well as past the furflex on the windows - which drips onto the speakers and then gets into the car that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe worth checking the Heater Matrix?