Post Thanks / Like

Got a problem with my Car. work in the cold and replace parts time. Turbo seized

My stock oe turbo is seized

Just want to ask a people for opinion's and advise. Any ideas on anything so i dont miss somthing or waist my money. Of course i want quality, and will pay for that, i just dont want to be mugged.

If you have ever seen it happen or had it happen to you ?
    Also any ideas on why it happens, i geuss its a combination of things ?

I still have oil presure, and my car never used excess oil.

I have had oil leaks, From oil sensor in the oil feed in the past. So i geuss that WONT have helped, that was ages ago and was fixed, engines never been low on oil.

I geuss nor will the bar of boost and an "crap oil cooler" in the "copper core radiator" in the summer months when it's hot

crap air filter i think its the culprit .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got a problem with my Car. work in the cold and replace parts time. Turbo seized

My plan now is to get some new parts, and any light Anyone can shed would be very grateful.
    I need to do it, for best price without compromising on quality and am in need of ideas. Replacing, Turbo ,Intercooler,Oil cooler, Pipe runs , Ideas PLEASE.

I am going to make a start on getting ideas and buying some new parts ready for when i do strip/tidy/clean uprate and replace parts.

- t25 turbo is going to be ordered from adam L.

- oil pump refurb/ and clean sump. or maybe that would be a mess for nothing???
    3 1/2 bar on start @ 1100rpm
    2 bar hot engine @ 2500rpm 5th

- I want a front mount intercooler which one i have no idea like wise with the pipe work ???

- Oil cooler and stat ??? , i want it to remain cheap with out buyin tat

In the mean time i think i have sourced a t2 turbo, my car is my daily driver.

Cheers/thankyou for any advise, Regards dave

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got a problem with my Car. work in the cold and replace parts time. Turbo seized

Poor oil pressure is probably the cause.

If the readings you have given are off an aftermarket gauge they are a bit low. You should see 45psi on a hot engine at 3krpm.

As for std oilcooler in the rad its up to the job for your setup

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post

As for std oilcooler in the rad its up to the job for your setup
    Just maybe swap the rad for an OE one and dump the copper one

Post Thanks / Like

was gonna say what markeymark just said!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    was gonna say what markeymark just said!
    after reading rtoc for hours i had formed that opinion,

Is there reasons not to run a seprate oil cooler?.

my water temps are fine , but oil always got hot in summer and i saw a diference lower oil pressure when on high boost for long periods , i'm geussing due to oil getting to hot. if i didnt prolong high boost in summer my oil would remain fine. it just seemed to fry it in hot weather.

am going to get another working t2 turbo and give engine a few oil changes, then refurb oil pump to be safe. dont want to bolt any new turbo on till its right.

Post Thanks / Like

A seized turbo is only caused by one thing, oil problems. A serious lack in oil pressure is a maybe or you've not changed the oil in god knows how long

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    A seized turbo is only caused by one thing, oil problems. A serious lack in oil pressure is a maybe or you've not changed the oil in god knows how long
    Like i said above i have had oil feed leak probs in past.

Also change the oil 2 weeks ago which was over due, It had started to smoke now and again.

I surpose lazyness set in and reliability was compromise

Just removed my turbo and Yes there is a a leak in top of the OE 20 year old oil feed where the rubber joins the metal not massive but a leak that been there a while.

also there is a crack in the rear housing.

Is my engine producing enough oil pressure?

Cheers dave

Post Thanks / Like

You need to do an oil pressure check to know that. A mechanical oil pressure guage is going to be needed. You need readings from warm engine temps too and at raised rpm.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge, plumbed into the bottem of the oil feed.

from cold on tick over, its over 3 bar and gos up over 4 when reving it.

when warm , i mean really hot by that , i have just under 1 bar oil pressure.
    when reved to 4k its up to around 2 and a half bar.

cheers again adam.

Post Thanks / Like

any input for me .Or have i missed/can't see some wise advise from you

Post Thanks / Like

As per my first post you want a minimum of 45 psi (3bar) oil pressure at 3krpm on a hot engine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    As per my first post you want a minimum of 45 psi (3bar) oil pressure at 3krpm on a hot engine
    So you think i have a low oil pressure problem.

I have another engine that i know produced better oil pressure, so maybe ill use the oil pump form that engine, its get striped anyway.

My car has done 30k with oil pessure like this and engine still going strong.

am wondering where my problem lie's ,oil feed?? blocked gallery ??, campus oil pump ??

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

think its going to be a matter of process of elimination mate if time and money will allow then hows about doing a overhaul and replacing all the parts you might think are causing the problem ?