Post Thanks / Like

Anti perc fan advice/help please!

After buying a heap that blew up within hours (my fault for being such a dumbass!) my car has sat in my mates garage for 3 months while we both had flu and other things to contend with........everything we could do wrong we did!......wrong clutch cables were ordered, wrong parts came and got sent back..........the weather got cold..................

Anyhow, the new engine is in, we've got it running as well as I think it will ever run......everything sorted.

Took it for a little run tonight......called at the garage for some fuel, perc fan came on for a bit, then went off........sweet. I thought, as it never worked before.........

Got back to the garage, perc fan came on...................................and stayed on.......and on.....about 6 minutes....then slowed down noticably...then stopped...and blew its fuse just as it stopped.

Has anybody got any ideas where I should be directing my attention here?..........the sensor above the turbo maybe?..........How long do these things reckon to run after you've switched the engine off...........I can only think sensor.......but I need help with this one please.

Thanks in advance.

If one more thing goes wrong its zippo time!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anti perc fan advice/help please!

Id bin it. Mine came on for an hour after switchdown when i first got the car. Drained the battery. Also people have had problems with them, melting wires, least your fuse blewThere is a well documented u tube clip of a gtt on fire due to the perfan.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the perc fan has seized or wiring has failed.

Id fix it myself though, my gtt starts up far better when hot with it in situ.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrixNFlix View Post
    Id bin it. Mine came on for an hour after switchdown when i first got the car. Drained the battery. Also people have had problems with them, melting wires, least your fuse blewThere is a well documented u tube clip of a gtt on fire due to the perfan.

I saw that mate, didn't know it was caused by the perc fan...........blimey!

Glad I yanked the wires off before I left it tonight.......might not have needed a zippo!!!!!

I've had people telling me rip it out, leave it in......I don't know what to do..........It's there for a purpose right?...............

Bloody thing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Sounds like the perc fan has seized or wiring has failed.

Id fix it myself though, my gtt starts up far better when hot with it in situ.

Could I ask how long they run after switch off mate?.......and do they have two speeds?......ie fast for a few minutes then a bit slower?

It didn't sieze I think.......but its fuse certainly popped!.......and thats awkward to get an as well............

Post Thanks / Like

Its supposed to help with re starting the engine when you turn it back on after its already been on . Supposed to stop fuel in the carb bowl getting to hot and evaporating and getting bubbles in the fuel. Id unplug it and see what your cars like without it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick13 View Post
    Could I ask how long they run after switch off mate?.......and do they have two speeds?......ie fast for a few minutes then a bit slower?

It didn't sieze I think.......but its fuse certainly popped!.......and thats awkward to get an as well............
    The perc runs for at least ten mins & should be on all the time when the engine is warmed up. Only runs at one speed.

There is a good chance the perc fan has failed if the fuse has popped matey

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I'd bin it mate, I went through three of the buggers before I gave up on them, two o.e and one euro car parts version.I removed it and all of the dodgy wiring loom with it, haven't noticed any difference in start up when warm.

Although if you did want a replacement, I may have an unsiezed one in the garage you can have.