Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rally Project

I got mine logbooked in aug and didnt have to fit a restrictor to get mine.

Post Thanks / Like

The popular Specsavers Christmas Stages Rally, originally scheduled for Monday 28th December 2009 at Croft Circuit in North Yorkshire, will now take place on Saturday 2nd January 2010 instead.

The organiser, Northallerton Automobile Club Ltd, was recently informed by Croft Circuit of the required change and following consultation with the committee, rather than cancel the event which attracts some of the leading competitors in the country, it was decided that both scrutineering and documentation, as well as the rally itself, will now take place just five days later than planned.

The change of date was due to the ramifications of the High Court Injunction served on Croft earlier this year, which now restricts the facility to a maximum of just forty days of ‘noisy’ track activities a year.

The necessity in having to alter the date from its popular Christmas Bank Holiday Monday slot, will be a major disappointment to thousands of fans who were expecting to attend but the event will return to the traditional date next year.

Clerk of the Course, Ian Jackson of Northallerton AC, said: “It’s unfortunate as well as disappointing and it has caused us a few headaches as all plans were in place for the 28th December what with officials booked, regulations printed and permits sought etc. However, with some hard work on our’s and Croft’s part, rather than just cancel the event, we can work round it this year and hopefully, still attract a good entry and decent crowd and get back to our normal date next year.”

Croft Circuit Manager, Tracey Morley, commented: “Despite alterations to the running order for the Rallycross event last weekend, unfortunately the last two noisy days of the restricted forty, as imposed by a High Court ruling earlier this year, have now been used up, which meant that the circuit was unable to hold this event before the New Year.”

Utter *******s

Can't do the 2 January.

Post Thanks / Like

Well **** me, got a break and can now make the 2nd

So hopefully 2 R5 GT Turbos doing the Xmas Stages rally

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by Alastair
    I run a hyd handbrake without 2 master cylinders. I joined the two rear lines with a T, it then run through a bias Vv, through Hyd handbrake, and split to rear calipers through another T. Works fine for me, but i can see the advantages of 2 master cylinders. It was a pain to bleed the first time though .

Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke
    The problem with doing that is you join the split circuit into a single circuit, if you get a leak anywhere you'll lose all braking. If I did that, and a scruitineer spotted it I wouldn't get to run.

Good point Andrew, however I thought that the two piston chamber design of the GTT bendix master cylinder allowes the rear two lines to be joined (so long as they are from the opposite outlets of the master cylinder, NOT opposite corners), so a leak will leave you with two independant front brakes? If not i may need another re-design before Croft? quote

Done some more thinking about this as you had me concerned, this is what i have done, and from what i can see a split anywhere will still leave you with front or rear brakes... your thoughts are welcome:

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly how I did mine....

Post Thanks / Like

cant you use just one hose from the master cylinder to the brake bias, and close the another hole of ther master cylinder ?

Post Thanks / Like

Entry accepted for the Jack Frost Rally at Croft on 17 Jan as well as Xmas Stages on 2 Jan

http://www.darlington-motor-club.org...hp?seriesid=21

Dipped hand in pocket to get some new discs and pads

Tyres next, can't decide whether to get michelin black ice under deep snow or arctic ice road trucker pattern?

Post Thanks / Like

Soft R888 will do you mate...

Post Thanks / Like

Did you see the carnage a couple of years back on the 1st stage?

Crampons and studs it is

Post Thanks / Like

big inflated cushion and a fan on the back then?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    big inflated cushion and a fan on the back then?
    and one for the car too

Post Thanks / Like

big inflated cushion ? is paul navigating blot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave-sbs View Post
    big inflated cushion ? is paul navigating blot
    Our lass is.........

so you are now officially endangered since I passed on your description

Post Thanks / Like

Fitted brembo discs and new pads today, finally got me hands dirty

Intercom sorted & helmets/racesuits

Car ready for log book fingers x'd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blot View Post
    Fitted brembo discs and new pads today, finally got me hands dirty

Intercom sorted & helmets/racesuits

Car ready for log book fingers x'd
    Sounds good mate! What flavour intercom did you go for? Ive not bothered with an intercom yet, although it is on my list of things to do.

Have you fitted some extra spot lights too, the last couple of stages are in the dark...

Post Thanks / Like

There was a Terraphone system in so just bought the open face system for both helmets, seems to work fine

Need to spend some time fiddling with the brake bias settings, yesterday was less than ideal as bit greasy (though probably v croft like) and rears were locking up, nearly got it about right I think

No worries about not having a servo fitted now, does give more feel to braking

Not going to bother with added lights, tends to be just last stage in dusk/dark normally and having seen motorsport weekly pic of a navigator shining a high powered torch out of the window....I have a cunning plan

Post Thanks / Like

Result on the log book situation, found the old one. Getting the log book checked tomorrow by xmas stages scrutineer but seems it is still valid

Post Thanks / Like

Entry numbers and seeding sorted for the :ho: stages

Car 86 for Alastair

Car 88 for us, had asked for 95, dam!

http://www.northallerton-ac.co.uk/xm...l/entries.html

Dunlop X22's due to be fitted on the day if the buggers at dunlop get making enough, otherwise it'll have to be X12's with a load of cuts to soften, unless it's doing what it is now in which case gravel tyres/snow chains/hovercraft on stand by.

In true value for money rallying, driving tweetie to (and hopefully from) Croft

Mate has invited us to share his service crew so it's 6R4, Evo, Exige and Tweetie in the service bay

Went to watch tarmac rally at Melbourne last weekend.... 60 started.....34 finished....

Can't wait

Post Thanks / Like

Need to replace the front bumper sometime, side skirt cracked.

Need to put an LSD on the shopping list too, are Gripper still the chosen ones for R5's?

Post Thanks / Like

A rare pic from Saturday of it not snowing and pointing in the right direction
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/spcomp/...7623002806619/

Need to sort a few things pretty quick as out again at Croft for the Jack Frost stages on the 17th

Really hoping that it will be a tarmac rally this time around, snow is fun, 8 hours on ice is bloomin tiring

Post Thanks / Like

Intersting read, good stuff

Had a very brief sit in Chris Randals lotus europa (basically an elise with vauxhall engine, almost identical to mine as im running the later astra vxr engine and 6 speed box) anyway he has removed the servo and changed the master cyl and feels good! The vx does not have a massive servo assitance anyway tbh but feels easy to modulate without the servo and he loves it in the cup GT series.

Look forward to seeing how you get on - good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to trying the brakes out properly on tarmac one day

Snow disappearing rapidly tonight, so may get chance at the Jack Frost rally on Sunday (at Croft again)

Car 70 this time, aiming for a finish again first and foremost to get a few more stage miles under our belts, anything in top 50 would be uber

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to trying the brakes out properly on tarmac one day

Snow disappearing rapidly tonight, so may get chance at the Jack Frost rally on Sunday (at Croft again)

Car 70 this time, aiming for a finish again first and foremost to get a few more stage miles under our belts, anything in top 50 would be uber

Tony, glad to hear you are losing the snow up there i wouldnt fancy dancing on the ice again!

Good luck on Sunday mate, if you drive it like you stole it again youll be on for a good finish! Shame i can't make it - too far!

Post Thanks / Like

All ready and set for tomorrow, snow gone, bit of ice on the circuit in places & a ruddy great water splash apparently

Few corners knocked off tweetie last time out have been smoothed/hacked off and wounds taped over with duct tape, mechanically no injuries to report

Spotlights now set up on switch on navigators panel, when switch is on they then come on when on full beam only

Live times during the day here: http://www.nersresults.co.uk/html/2010/jack_frost/

My money is on us killing the clutch and retiring by stage 4

Post Thanks / Like

This is awesome Blot! I'm so envious that you're out there doing it for real!!! Good luck and enjoy yourselves. Oh, try and give someone a camera for a few pics!

Post Thanks / Like

i see what you mean about the damage to the front bumper after croft

Post Thanks / Like

Back early after a few adventures

Stage 1 gear box intermittently allowing 2nd gear, big spin coming out of tower ended up on remaining snow bank, something flew up into engine bay and knacked the manifold heatshield, result, much smoke in cockpit as heatshield burnt away on rest of stage

Stage 2 No 2nd gear and majority of stage needing 2nd No gear selection at all by end of stage, clutch looking fooked as predicted

Stage 3 Miraculous repair to clutch cable alllows full stage with all gears, very slippy in places but enjoying plenty of front end grip and back end sliding

Stage 4 first lap, clutch cable snaps coming into hairpin, clipped the odd tyre, no gears and and knacked side skirt, home on a trailer

Higlhight? Being able to claim to have beaten Chris' 6R4 on Stage 1

Awesome drive of the day? Chris going from 77th after stage 1 to 3rd overall, winning one stage outright by 16 seconds

bit of thinking and work to be done, but all good fun

Shopping list for now/future
    Whatever clutch we put in the cup car (can't remember right now but it was cock on)
    LSD

Charge Cooler
    Move cone filter forward
    Better heatshield that doesn't fill car with smoke! + ? heat wrap on manifold
    Bigger turbo - need to look at options

Gearbox- hmm what options out there?

Tyres/Wheels
    Need one more set of wheels/tyres (wets)

Hoping to get car back up and running for easter monday sprint to use as a test day

Looking for some more rallies now, Promenade stages at New Brighton later in year come recommended, need to do a couple of airfiled ones me thinks.

Mrs Blot proving to be a great navigator, on a mission to make her sick at least once!
    Last edited by Blot; 17-01-2010 at 21:30.

Post Thanks / Like

Back early after a few adventures

Stage 1 gear box intermittently allowing 2nd gear, big spin coming out of tower ended up on remaining snow bank, something flew up into engine bay and knacked the manifold heatshield, result, much smoke in cockpit as heatshield burnt away on rest of stage

Stage 2 No 2nd gear and majority of stage needing 2nd No gear selection at all by end of stage, clutch looking fooked as predicted

Stage 3 Miraculous repair to clutch cable alllows full stage with all gears, very slippy in places but enjoying plenty of front end grip and back end sliding

Stage 4 first lap, clutch cable snaps coming into hairpin, clipped the odd tyre, no gears and and knacked side skirt, home on a trailer

Higlhight? Being able to claim to have beaten Chris' 6R4 on Stage 1

Awesome drive of the day? Chris going from 77th after stage 1 to 3rd overall, winning one stage outright by 16 seconds

bit of thinking and work to be done, but all good fun

Shopping list for now/future
    Whatever clutch we put in the cup car (can't remember right now but it was cock on)
    LSD

Charge Cooler
    Move cone filter forward
    Better heatshield that doesn't fill car with smoke! + ? heat wrap on manifold
    Bigger turbo - need to look at options

Gearbox- hmm what options out there?

Tyres/Wheels
    Need one more set of wheels/tyres (wets)

Hoping to get car back up and running for easter monday sprint to use as a test day

Looking for some more rallies now, Promenade stages at New Brighton later in year come recommended, need to do a couple of airfiled ones me thinks.

Mrs Blot proving to be a great navigator, on a mission to make her sick at least once!

Glad you had a good time, shame you didnt finish though mate

Post Thanks / Like

Gearbox options are going to be the sticky point. Not sure how much can be done for strength, other than shot peening or maybe give some cryogenic freeze action a go? Casing and gears?

Ratios are another question altogether! R11T has shorter ratios I think, as do, Williams and 172/182. Scoff has tried most options. What do your regulations allow?

Post Thanks / Like

Gearbox can be whatever we can afford woznaldo

Think we need to have a good look at set up too judging by this pic
    http://www.ianhardy.net/gallery/main..._itemId=102264

was great fun being able to slide round corners but rather time consuming ultimately. We were on road tyres at the time, most were onto slicks by then, which explains some of the lack of grip in the pic, but knew by then we were not likely to be competing the full day so thought we might as well save the good tyres for another day

More neg camber on fronts and raise back end a bit??

This was during a quick recovery after spin at complex when turning round
    Last edited by Blot; 18-01-2010 at 21:47.

Post Thanks / Like

Blot, let me know if you find any good events coming up, there is one at Weston Super Mare fairly soon but that's a bit of a trek for you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    Blot, let me know if you find any good events coming up, there is one at Weston Super Mare fairly soon but that's a bit of a trek for you!
    Will do, though I think we may be out of action for a couple of months whilst we decide what we are going to do to the car and then actually do it!

Rockingham stages in December do look rather interesting.....

Post Thanks / Like

Got some nice pics from www.ianhardy.net today from the Jack Frost

Last edited by Blot; 23-01-2010 at 21:19.

Post Thanks / Like

Brief update, finally remembered it was a Helix uprated clutch we had in the cup car, not sure what we are going to do next with the car so just clutch done for now.

Taking a bit of tweaking as at mo it is on or off and nowt in between

Still looking at possible tarmac events, north west stages looked this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Back on the road again, clutch proved to be challenging as cables didn't like matching up with a MkII pedal box and generally mullered themselves immediately.

So whilst we haven't got servo assistance on the brakes, we do now have a hydraulic clutch courtesy of a few parts of a Gallant

Went for the Helix 4 pad Cerametalic Plate, which was the clutch that B-cup had, fan was also looking worse for wear so got a Spal 'suction' high performance one put in.

So all safety equipment now done, brakes done, clutch done, tyres purchased.

Step by step, coming on

Post Thanks / Like

Finally going rallying again

Friendly little event at Teesside Autodrome over May Bank Holiday, have a vision of blazing sunshine, bbq in the pits and a fun day, but then it's Middlesbrough so smog & acid rain probably more likely

Clutch is now spot on and brakes are really sharp since change to Ferodo DS3000 pads, still lacking any real grunt at all but shouldn't be the huge disadvantage it was at Croft at least

http://www.shawtrophy.co.uk/autodrome/

Post Thanks / Like

Cooling getting sorted, ta to Bill 'lol' H and Mart for supply and courier service of fmic

Before- During and After

Decided not to cut away any metal, instead mounted slightly lower and took angle grinder to the already modified (courtesy of a hay bale at Croft) front bumper instead

Before

During

After

Going to invest in a new cone filter, but already real noticeable difference in pick up and performance. Booked in for a set up session on the motoscope rollers next Saturday

Post Thanks / Like

Have you got any clearer pics of the boost hose run to the O/S of the intercooler? Car is looking good! Great work

Post Thanks / Like

Just heading out for sea side & fish n chips, pipe run is pretty much as per the Forge instruction manual I think Chris, will have a look tomorrow to see if any different

Post Thanks / Like

Blot,

Sounds good but i cant see pictures in the live thread from where I am, and very slow web. I am looking into the New Brighton Stages but i might not make in back in time, I land around that time..

If anyone knows of any Stage Rallies (Tarmac) in June or September could they please PM me! The list on the MSA website is always out of date!

On a positive note i'll see you for the Christmas Stages again this year though Tony! Keep us all posted on how you get on at the rollers.

Post Thanks / Like

Tony,

Any of the below interest you? A bit of a trek, the Cirencester one looks good and the dates work for me too. Would be good to have someone other than my brother in the service area again!

http://www.teifistages.co.uk/

http://www.cirencestercarclub.com/rally.shtm

There is also a 100 mile stage event here:
    http://www.scmc.co.uk/Team_Tempest/Tempest_home.htm - but very few details!

Post Thanks / Like

Just heading out for sea side & fish n chips, pipe run is pretty much as per the Forge instruction manual I think Chris, will have a look tomorrow to see if any different
    The what? Forge instruction manual?

What you have there young man, is a one-off, special order i/c, with a rather well thought out, PMT Developments designed pipe run. Number 1#1

It's good to see it got to you safely mate, and it's good to see it back on a car again

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry meant to say Forged....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    Tony,

Any of the below interest you? A bit of a trek, the Cirencester one looks good and the dates work for me too. Would be good to have someone other than my brother in the service area again!

http://www.teifistages.co.uk/

http://www.cirencestercarclub.com/rally.shtm

There is also a 100 mile stage event here:
    http://www.scmc.co.uk/Team_Tempest/Tempest_home.htm - but very few details!
    Not sure my suspension would survive broken concrete & water splashes

Will keep looking for summat smooth and in sept

Post Thanks / Like

This is kept up to date Alastair

http://www.ianhardy.net/british_rally_calendar.php

another possible tarmac event in Sept?
    http://www.eromc.co.uk/adrianbarker.htm

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in awe of this project I'd love to do rallying in mine but they won't let me ..but I'm working on it..
    This is one great project and it really goes to show how reliable an r5 gtt can be.. good work

So where is your next rally?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Warren View Post
    I'm in awe of this project I'd love to do rallying in mine but they won't let me ..but I'm working on it..
    This is one great project and it really goes to show how reliable an r5 gtt can be.. good work

So where is your next rally?
    Do it fantastic buzz, if one thing I've learnt though, its set a budget and stick to it, t'other was from the cup car days, concentrate on max cooling. Didn't have a single retirement from any sprints or hillclimbs with the cup car & am trying to build this up in similar way.

May bank holiday is next trip out at Teesside Autodrome, hoping for a dry day to finally use the dunlop X22's in anger

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    What you have there young man, is a one-off, special order i/c, with a rather well thought out, PMT Developments designed pipe run. Number 1#1
    7 years on and still going strong

Post Thanks / Like

Do it fantastic buzz, if one thing I've learnt though, its set a budget and stick to it, t'other was from the cup car days, concentrate on max cooling. Didn't have a single retirement from any sprints or hillclimbs with the cup car & am trying to build this up in similar way.

May bank holiday is next trip out at Teesside Autodrome, hoping for a dry day to finally use the dunlop X22's in anger

Awesome Buzz, can't recommend it highly enough, take a trackday and x10. Although it is getting to be prohibitively expensive, lets hope they dont insist on Hans devices next year...

Post Thanks / Like

Learnt a few things at the roller session today, front left caliper was sticking on intermitently & what looked like a rather old and manky cone filter is in fact working perfectly well. Boost hoses developd a habit of popping off occasionally but fettled that easy enough, wiring to starter motor is being a pain, connection has come loose and needs generally tidying up. Have ditched the dump valve for now.

One of the main points picked up on goes back to the MKII pedal box and the accelerator, which had basically bodged so that when foot flat to the floor it was only opening the throttle probably 75%. Need to do some work on that and check to see if the spare calipers I've got work.

fmic fitting has given us an extra 13bhp atw at present, so progress but more work to do

Teesside here we come (May 3)