Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Turbos your ideas

hi just been studing the quarter mile leader board and noticed most of the best times use t28 turbos but what are these like for normal road use bendy roads etc are they very laggy??? also could anyone enlighten me on an msm cam?? what are these? im going to be building a new engine and want as much power possible with as least lag. want to be looking at around 200 bhp could anyone let me know the best parts spec to be looking at. also why do people use gordini head. would appreciate any replies thanks

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turbos your ideas

i run a t28 which is a little slow to get going but in a way it makes the car more user friendly when just in traffic or taking it easy then when she does spool up its seriously fast and you can keep it in boost when u change gear if u dare i find im doing 100 mph before i know it!!

Post Thanks / Like

gordini head = bigger valves and is cross flow.
    god knows why renault went backwards with the gtturbo head

for the faffing around you would have to do fitting a gordini head to the c1j block you may aswell drop a b18ft engine in probably for alot less.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

whats the b18ft engine mate? what cc im new to this lol, what is needed to fit the gordini head? what power gains? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    gordini head = bigger valves and is cross flow.

for the faffing around you would have to do fitting a gordini head to the c1j block you may aswell drop a b18ft engine in probably for alot less.
    Put it this way. I was told by Andy if you ever considered doing a Gordini head conversion, you'd be expecting to pay at least £10k. That's if you do it properly.

B18ft is the 1.7 volvo lump.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=raj;103089]gordini head = bigger valves and is cross flow.
    quote]

the alpine/gordini guys were given the brief to get as much power out of the cast iron 1397cc block - they couldn't use 16v, due to engine design and space constraints, so they put big valves in and bigger ports instead.

the GTT head is just a slightly modified standard N/A head - which would have cost renault bugger all to make. - cost cutting at its finest.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

but what is it that costs 10k to fit a gordini head, whats so difficult about it? is there alot of machining, what is one of ur mates is a head modifier and machinist at minisport and u can blag him lol wb

Post Thanks / Like

If one of your mates is a machinist for mini's, he'd tell to to **** off, everything is a doddle on them.

You need, EFI, custom manifolds, custom cam, electric water pump, custom pistons/rods, fuel pump. That doesn't include all the engine piping, intercooling.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

lol yeh hewould tell me where to go looking at all that machine work, at minisport they do all cars not just minis they machine all heads blocks etc but theres some mental hours in that. forget that. so whats the best engine set up for c1j engine. i want 200 bhp, on cgb he sells pistons that are good for 200bhp and not forged so do u not have to go forged is it just for peace of mind? what are best cams and turbos that go together?? appreciate any help

Post Thanks / Like

If you use the search function you will find loads of usefull information on this subject, search turbo selectiom or turbo choice

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyshaw49 View Post
    lol yeh hewould tell me where to go looking at all that machine work, at minisport they do all cars not just minis they machine all heads blocks etc but theres some mental hours in that. forget that. so whats the best engine set up for c1j engine. i want 200 bhp, on cgb he sells pistons that are good for 200bhp and not forged so do u not have to go forged is it just for peace of mind? what are best cams and turbos that go together?? appreciate any help

If your just after 200bhp you don't need to go mental speeding money despite what tuners will tell you.

Standard pistons, liners and rods are fine till you get to around 220bhp so they should ok for you, use the volvo 480 turbo clutch and you shouldn't have to many problems there.

get a 2 1/2" turbo back exhaust system, sideys are best for sound and cooking people aswell

A decent FMIC or charge cooler, I've got a forge FMIC and its more than upto the job.

With enough boost you can get 200bhp withoput the need for a cam, unless you've already got one.

A T25 turbo should be enough, just make sure you get someone who knows what there doing when its time to get the carb setup, someone off here would be best cus they won't BS you

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for that, ill have a look throught the search aswell. i have a full stainless magnex system is that ok for back pressure etc? i have alloy radiator oil cooler with low temp thermostats, uprated head gasket, head ported and polished multi angles, group a carb, lightened flywheel, uprated clutch to 200 bhp, does it need to be volvo 480 clutch? i had all stem seals dun new pistons and liners, balanced crank, new shells oil pump etc i already had cam in when bought engine and different springs as there not the red standard ones. not sure what cam is though it doesnt have vernier either. so really just need a turbo and maybe a cam so need to find the best pair to go together for a fast road car, but theres that many cams like piper 270,285, msm cat cams ,ktecs own etc cant make my mind up lol so asked for advice thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If the springs got swapped it's most likely you have a Piper 285. You will want to check your cam timing as they can be a way out. So that's your first job.

Sounds like you need an intercooler, wb lamba sensor, and a T25 turbo, job done.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Shamefull plug, but i'm selling a newly rebuilt t25, -31 actuator, 360 bearing, t2 exhaust housing, not been used since rebuild, still wrapped up..........

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i have double capacity cooler is that good enough?? its not exactly front mout but in the original place behind the grille. how much u after mate??

Post Thanks / Like

any one no when the choke is on should a light on dash come on as mine dont

cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redrocket29 View Post
    any one no when the choke is on should a light on dash come on as mine dont

cheers
    Yes you should have a yellow light on your instrument panel or it maybe orangish in color correct me if i'm wrong anybody hope this helps dude

Post Thanks / Like

does any one no how to fix it or were to start?

Post Thanks / Like

If your light aint working its probably something to do with the wiring in your dash not sure if there is a bulb that lights it up o more than likely the wiring....Get yourself a haynes manual and go from there dude

Post Thanks / Like

cheers mate were can i get one do they still sell them on the shelf

Post Thanks / Like

cheers mate were can i get one do they still sell them on the shelf
    theres always loads on ebay !

Post Thanks / Like

ditch the full magnex, im sure it has a restrictor in it...

Post Thanks / Like

undo the screw (torx 25 usually) that holds the choke lever onto the dash, and make sure the wire tag is on the connector at the back, if it is, i'd check the bulb in the panel

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    ditch the full magnex, im sure it has a restrictor in it...

Is a very nice sounding and looking exhaust but as Sparkie says it has a restrictor within which is in the long centre which narrows.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

yeh i noticed this when fitting it but the sound is just amazing so really wanted to keep it, how restrictive is it? how much bhp loss??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Is a very nice sounding and looking exhaust but as Sparkie says it has a restrictor within which is in the long centre which narrows.
    What would you replace it with, i have one and love the sound and the performance?

Post Thanks / Like

An old skool Scorpion side exit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrows View Post
    What would you replace it with, i have one and love the sound and the performance?
    Change the center section for a Scorpion one or one like it, this won't have the restrictor in it but will keep the same sound as you still use the magnex backbox.